BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town v Rovers Sat 21st Nov. 3pm

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

I'm not sure he's up for it at the moment. His best pal died recently and he must still be in bits 

Yep, part of me thinks then why is he on the bench, then another part of me thinks maybe Tony is doing him a solid by keeping him involved with the lads.

Football may be a good therapy though 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Exiled_Rover said:

Just watched the highlights - you won't see a more stonewall penalty.

Presuming you mean on Ben at the end. 

Definite foul but probably just outside the area.

The unpunished foul on Arma just before was a rugby tackle.

Still pinning this droped 2 points on Mowbray. So many things wrong with the team set up irrespective of unavailabilities.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JPTSwindon said:

Decent match, fine margins - probable clear penalty.

Positives. Kaminski has added confidence, Wharton is taking his chance (good loan experience paying off), Rothwell is immense through the middle and credit to the team we didn’t fold when they scored.

Away point, that’s fine.

The Luton goal came just after Trybull was subbed off.

After Brereton lost the ball in their half Luton broke and Rothwell opted out of any defensive duties to fill in for the absent Trybull. He simply trotted back in a straight line. A bit of effort would have been nice.

Otherwise he had a decent game.

11 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I agree that other teams also have issues - but with Rovers timing is everything - just when we start playing well, the players who are contributing most seem to become unavailable due to injury or Covid. How many other teams are also missing their key forward, midfield player and two first choice centre halfs ?

Who is our key midfield player? Holtby? Travis? Only the other day when he was out injured it was Rothwell now because he is back its someone else. Lenihan is a first choice centre half and he is not injured and it can't be a surprise to anyone that Ayala and Williams are injured their careers the last few years have been littered with injuries. As for Dack he has been missing for 11 months so it was hardly a surprise that he was missing and we have had two windows to find an alternative to him

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

The Luton goal came just after Trybull was subbed off.

After Brereton lost the ball in their half Luton broke and Rothwell opted out of any defensive duties to fill in for the absent Trybull. He simply trotted back in a straight line. A bit of effort would have been nice.

Otherwise he had a decent game.

How many times do we concede straight after a sub though it's like another ingrained weakness. Good thing is we often jump straight back into it but for me we are too lethargic too often.

Shouldn't take conceding to get some urgency going.

For all criticism thrown at Gally he works hard and was in the best "Centre forward" position to poke the ball in. This helped bring the team together for a strong (effort) finish - we didn't fold.

Not a lover of TM's "we move on...." following the poor judgement by ref.  

Rothwell's yellow was heavy on his mind so he held back on defensive duties. This is where TM's player management dips. In the first half it took a strong tackle on Rothwell for him to show others what he can do, imo TM's needs to address this player approach.

• Like 1

Luton should be castigated for their poor behaviour. No way should they be above us in the League. Don't they know the rules?

Their job is to stay up this year because they've only just been promoted and thoughts of top half should not enter their heads.

Over the next few years they can gradually build up and wait their turn to get in the top 6.

Its like queue-jumping----toatally unacceptable.

Just now, 47er said:

Luton should be castigated for their poor behaviour. No way should they be above us in the League. Don't they know the rules?

Their job is to stay up this year because they've only just been promoted and thoughts of top half should not enter their heads.

Over the next few years they can gradually build up and wait their turn to get in the top 6.

With Holtby in the squad shouldn't we be ignoring the queue and joining at the front of it

32 minutes ago, 47er said:

If I were to put £100 on either Rovers or Luton to make the play offs this season i would put it on Luton. 

That's a damning representation of Mowbray's management.

1 hour ago, Crimpshrine said:

That is what really annoyed me about yesterday. Rothwell apart, there seemed to be no real desire or urgency until Luton scored. It's as if the players and Mowbray were happy to sit there at 0 0 for 90 minutes.

We can list the excuses - injuries , covid, referee etc but there is simply no excuse for continued lacklustre performances.. We had 11 players on the pitch who were more than capable than beating the 11 from Luton but we didn't really look interested. Unacceptable.

Some people saying it's a decent draw because Luton are above is in the league - well they really shouldn't be. When Mowbray took over they were in league 2 and have spent a fraction of the transfer fees and wages that we have since then. We should be out of sight compared to Luton by now. According to 'transfermarket, our squad is worth £42 M to their £14 M. Slow build my arse!

The problem is endemic. Venky's have no interest, Mowbray and Waggott on easy street, and under no pressure the players are coasting. Not surprising though really - it's been like that for 10 years - no pride in the club or the shirt.. Depressing indeed.

Yes the budget comparers tend to blank out that when the boot is on the other foot although i'm not a big believer in it for one off games anyway. Like you say 11 v 11 and it often comes down to who wants it most and who is prepared to go the extra mile as often as they can not just when the backs are against the wall.

It's clearly evident at Ewood how comfortable everything is when there are viable excuses to hide behind before a ball is even kicked. After a two week break they should be champing at the bit lets get down there get 3 points in that bag if possible.

No lets go and tip tap about instead a draw is a draw and if we lose well it's down to covid and injuries. Shrug the shoulders, that's life. Can't stand that attitude although i don't expect to win every game i expect those selected to have a real good go. 

They'll need to up the ante against the knobbers that's for sure.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 4

Go back to 4-4-2. Make the back four and midfield four solid, with stopping the opposition a priority to all of them.  Heck that should be any average teams plan.  When you are continually exposing the defence it’s as much as you can do. Go back to basics.

We are currently trying to be Barcelona and it’s not working.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Who is our key midfield player? Holtby? Travis? Only the other day when he was out injured it was Rothwell now because he is back its someone else. Lenihan is a first choice centre half and he is not injured and it can't be a surprise to anyone that Ayala and Williams are injured their careers the last few years have been littered with injuries. As for Dack he has been missing for 11 months so it was hardly a surprise that he was missing and we have had two windows to find an alternative to him

Key midfield player - I was actually thinking Travis - but I suppose Holtby is up there. When Rothwell was injured - so was Travis and Holtby - players that would have given us the legs in midfield. IMO Travis is a huge loss - huge fan of what he brings to the team.

Lenihan has been poor this season - and at the same time Ayala and Williams have been unavailable. Injury record - even as a Premiership club we had to take gambles on injury prone players - our finances are even worse now.

Dack has been injured for 11 months - but replacing his goals isn't straightforward. Armstrong has helped in this respect - but replacing Dack would cost big money.

I think we should be doing better with the players at our disposal - but also appreciate the unfortunate timing of some of the absentees.

One good thing - I thought Wharton did well yesterday against a physical Luton. Lets hope he can continue against PNE who will be equally physical.  

3 hours ago, Crimpshrine said:

That is what really annoyed me about yesterday. Rothwell apart, there seemed to be no real desire or urgency until Luton scored. It's as if the players and Mowbray were happy to sit there at 0 0 for 90 minutes.

We can list the excuses - injuries , covid, referee etc but there is simply no excuse for continued lacklustre performances.. We had 11 players on the pitch who were more than capable than beating the 11 from Luton but we didn't really look interested. Unacceptable.

Some people saying it's a decent draw because Luton are above is in the league - well they really shouldn't be. When Mowbray took over they were in league 2 and have spent a fraction of the transfer fees and wages that we have since then. We should be out of sight compared to Luton by now. According to 'transfermarket, our squad is worth £42 M to their £14 M. Slow build my arse!

The problem is endemic. Venky's have no interest, Mowbray and Waggott on easy street, and under no pressure the players are coasting. Not surprising though really - it's been like that for 10 years - no pride in the club or the shirt.. Depressing indeed.

10/10. This underachieving has been going on for the best part of ten years now. Don't anybody mention the promotion, we out skilled teams then but the number of games were we out enthused our opponents you could count on the fingers of one hand.

I've lost count of how many times I've said this but until we have a group of players who win more tackles, second balls, interceptions, contested headers, run further etc that our opponents we'll lose as many games as we win. There's no such thing as a free lunch in football, the team that wants it most usually gets most out of the game.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 8

Not seen everyone's else's posts.

Thought that was a desperately poor performance for 80 mins yesterday. No urgency whatsoever until the last 10.

Too many players completely anonymous yesterday, Johnson (back to last season's form) Trybull (what a pointless player he looks - Lowe/Evans mark 3) and Elliott.

Rothwell the pick by a country mile and next best Brereton in terms of overall  play although he seems to  lose his composure completely in front of goal.

Poor result against a very ordinary side under a poor manager. 14th already and another wasted season, lower mid table at best, beckons unless there's a change in the dug out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, den said:

Go back to 4-4-2. Make the back four and midfield four solid, with stopping the opposition a priority to all of them.  Heck that should be any average teams plan.  When you are continually exposing the defence it’s as much as you can do. Go back to basics.

We are currently trying to be Barcelona and it’s not working.

Barca are 11th in La Liga this season so in a way we are playing like Barcelona ?

• Like 5

• J*B unpinned this topic