BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Luton Town v Rovers Sat 21st Nov. 3pm

47 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Like Southgate with England - too cautious.

I think circumstances have forced it a bit recently but funny you should flag up Southgate.  My mate said the other night how there were many similarities with Mowbray not least the underwhelming Boro stints.  

Southgates demeanor is that of a world weary going through the motions guy way before its time.

• Like 1

Well as expected the balance of the team was all wrong with Trybull and Johnson both out there.  Trybull a very very conservative player, and Johnson was expected to run up and down the inside right channel which he clearly doesn't have the legs for.

In the 433 we play it's crucial 1) the two wider central midfielders have exceptional workrate to link the forwards and midfield, but can recover to defend if we lose possession, 2) we play a high back line to get the midfield close to the forwards.

Today we played about 10m too deep and were really static in midfield till Trybull came off, then we improved a lot.

Honestly think we would have won if we'd started Buckley/Johnson/Rothwell across the middle.

I'm stunned Buckley didn't come on at all.

Have to agree this is shaping up to be another 8th-13th season. A real shame as the squad is a top six squad.

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Another disjointed performance, no real shape, no cohesion, in fact we looked like a team of strangers which is rather worrying when they have just had 2 weeks together on the training ground. We looked what we are a mid table side with some talented individuals. 

Kaminski was good. I'm still not sure what people see in JRC to me he is an academy version of Elliott Bennett, jack of all trades master of none and very suspect defensively. Douglas has been disappointing so far although a decent header to set the goal up. Lenihan was haphazard again today and Wharton was by far our best defender, there's no thrills with him but he is a very solid no nonsense defender.

In midfield Trybull was very poor, personally I'd like to see Davenport given a start over him to see what he can do. Johnson looked off the pace as he very often does after a break. Rothwell showed glimpses but not enough and as so often with him an end product was lacking. It's the midfield 3 that create big problems though far too often this season there is a lack of understanding between the 3 and what their roles are. For me it's time to ditch the 4-3-3, although I have never been a fan of it.

The front 3 were all pretty non existent. Good to see Gallagher get a goal he's never going to be a 20 goal a season man but play him central and get him in the box and he can get you 10-12 goals a season. Two goals this season and both have come from come a ball in from the left hand side and Gallagher standing central to the goal finishing, he is a striker and will never be a winger. Not sure we only made two subs, I thought Dolan should have been brought and as I think he would have troubled them late on.

JRC is being played out of position - he's being asked to be a jack-of-all-trades because our defensive recruitment has been so poor. He's not a FB in a month of Sundays. He should be rotating with Brereton, Elliot and Dolan in those wide positions. Speaking of - Liverpool are going to terminate this loan if we continue to run Elliot out there for 180 minutes every week.

Trybull is a tidy holding midfielder. Playing him alongside another holding midfielder is pointless - neither provides much going forward and they get in each other's way defensively. 

4-3-3 is the best thing Mowbray has done in his time here. However, it needs two mobile / creative CMs playing alongside a holding DM. Buckley needs to be Holtby's understudy.

• Like 3

A drab first half which is emblematic of post-international breaks. Two disjointed teams. The second half saw us much the better and the last 10 minutes we were rampant. The goal we conceded was unlucky as their lad slipped as he put the cross in, if he’d have stayed on his feet then it probably would have sailed over the striker as their delivery was poor for most of the match. Any team can concede goals like that. Our response was excellent and although I’d have preferred a win (perhaps merited on the last 10 minutes) I’m not too downhearted by a point at a team who were a) above us in the table and b) well organised and hard to beat. At Ewood it would be a different story and I would expect a win. I certainly understand much of the criticism levelled at Mowbray but this season he has been dealt a terrible hand. It is incredibly hard to build consistency when the team is ravaged by injury and isolation issues. Today we were without Ayala, Williams, Bell, Holtby, Dack and Travis amongst others...I’d say that’s 4/5 definite starters. On Tuesday is looks like we can add JRC and obviously Johnson to that list. Rather than being completely despondent we could look at the situation and be glad that we are putting out a team that is competitive each week. Could another manager get a better tune out of this squad? Possibly. Would a change be risky? Again...possibly. Sometimes (especially in these crazy times) it’s better the devil you know. 

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, Exiled_Rover said:

4-3-3 is the best thing Mowbray has done in his time here. However, it needs two mobile / creative CMs playing alongside a holding DM. Buckley needs to be Holtby's understudy.

We don't have the players to play 4-3-3. We have played it ever since we came back from lockdown and have 25 points from 21 games playing it. Hopefully once Dack is back that will be the last we see of the system.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

A drab first half which is emblematic of post-international breaks. Two disjointed teams. The second half saw us much the better and the last 10 minutes we were rampant. The goal we conceded was unlucky as their lad slipped as he put the cross in, if he’d have stayed on his feet then it probably would have sailed over the striker as their delivery was poor for most of the match. Any team can concede goals like that. Our response was excellent and although I’d have preferred a win (perhaps merited on the last 10 minutes) I’m not too downhearted by a point at a team who were a) above us in the table and b) well organised and hard to beat. At Ewood it would be a different story and I would expect a win. I certainly understand much of the criticism levelled at Mowbray but this season he has been dealt a terrible hand. It is incredibly hard to build consistency when the team is ravaged by injury and isolation issues. Today we were without Ayala, Williams, Bell, Holtby, Dack and Travis amongst others...I’d say that’s 4/5 definite starters. On Tuesday is looks like we can add JRC and obviously Johnson to that list. Rather than being completely despondent we could look at the situation and be glad that we are putting out a team that is competitive each week. Could another manager get a better tune out of this squad? Possibly. Would a change be risky? Again...possibly. Sometimes (especially in these crazy times) it’s better the devil you know. 

On the money IMHO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Mighty Chaffinch said:

I certainly understand much of the criticism levelled at Mowbray but this season he has been dealt a terrible hand. It is incredibly hard to build consistency when the team is ravaged by injury and isolation issues.

Lots of teams suffering with injuries and Covid issues in the Championship. Bristol City had to shut their training ground and only re-opened on Thursday. They had quite a few staff and players test positive, including the manager.  As he said though, 'no excuses'.  That's where he differs from Mowbray. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Lots of teams suffering with injuries and Covid issues in the Championship. Bristol City had to shut their training ground and only re-opened on Thursday. They had quite a few staff and players test positive, including the manager.  As he said though, 'no excuses'.  That's where he differs from Mowbray. 

Swansea had a few out today with Covid and injuries but no excuses from them they went and won the game anyway. We are no different to any other club, in this season all clubs are going to be hit by Covid and in such a condensed season by injuries as well, the difference is Mowbray uses it as an excuse to let himself and the players of the hook.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Technically he does start every excuse with something like we’re not making excuses BUT... makes excuses. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Swansea had a few out today with Covid and injuries but no excuses from them they went and won the game anyway. We are no different to any other club, in this season all clubs are going to be hit by Covid and in such a condensed season by injuries as well, the difference is Mowbray uses it as an excuse to let himself and the players of the hook.

I agree that other teams also have issues - but with Rovers timing is everything - just when we start playing well, the players who are contributing most seem to become unavailable due to injury or Covid. How many other teams are also missing their key forward, midfield player and two first choice centre halfs ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I agree that other teams also have issues - but with Rovers timing is everything - just when we start playing well, the players who are contributing most seem to become unavailable due to injury or Covid. How many other teams are also missing their key forward, midfield player and two first choice centre halfs ?

I think we have got to stop defending Mowbray at all costs and get real.  Teams will miss players, theres 35 games left, Mowbray scraped the barrell on deadline day and we are left lightweight in central midfield and the defence is still shit. What's the point, might aswell guve someone else a go.

Pearson in 

Mowbray out

• Like 2

TM is quoted as saying "they are a  difficult side to play against, they are very well organised."

I'm left wondering what he expects? Being organised might be foreign to him but its a starting point for managers isn't it?

You build on that.

• Like 8

Does anyone genuinely believe we will be anywhere near a play off position? 

I think the players believe Mowbray's hype. Rothwell saying that we should be beating the likes of Luton is a typical Mowbray comment and as expected it backfires.

I suspect Mowbray spends all week telling the players how good they are and how they should be getting promoted. Trouble is it isn't happening on the pitch.

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

We don't have the players to play 4-3-3. We have played it ever since we came back from lockdown and have 25 points from 21 games playing it. Hopefully once Dack is back that will be the last we see of the system.

That's because we concede goals at an alarming rate. That's on the back 4 and the goalkeeper, not the formation.

There's no formation to protect a Walton / JRC / Bell / Lenihan lineup.

4 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

Yeap you're right. Four yellows to their none ?.

Another positive was having Kaminski back. 

3 of our yellows were fully deserved and whilst the booking of BB for diving was a nonsense, he could easily have mouthed his way to a second.

Edited by AllRoverAsia

30 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Does anyone genuinely believe we will be anywhere near a play off position? 

I think the players believe Mowbray's hype. Rothwell saying that we should be beating the likes of Luton is a typical Mowbray comment and as expected it backfires.

I suspect Mowbray spends all week telling the players how good they are and how they should be getting promoted. Trouble is it isn't happening on the pitch.

Not even close.

It is exactly what Mowbray said after we lost at home to Luton last season.

We are simply not as good as even I sometimes think.

Douglas and Trybull added to Johnson have taken yards off our pace in defensive and midfield play. Are their any slower players out there we might yet get?

Edited by AllRoverAsia

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

Well as expected the balance of the team was all wrong with Trybull and Johnson both out there.  Trybull a very very conservative player, and Johnson was expected to run up and down the inside right channel which he clearly doesn't have the legs for.

I'm stunned Buckley didn't come on at all.

You can't arse around with central midfield,  we should have used the wages of Trybull, Downing, Mulgrew and Graham to get a quality central midfielder.   

Mowbray has obviously seen enough of Buckley.  Dunny should get him up there and let him play and see how he goes. My view is he's another Willem Tomlinson ...can't rely on him for anything.