BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nobbers v Rovers, Tues 24 Nov 7.45pm

Think of it as Limbo psychology. All very sad lol.....

Every one of their neighbours and local rivals have tasted top-flight glory in recent years.

There are PNE fans in their late 60's, who have never seen their team play a single game in the top flight.

The likes of Carlisle, Notts County, Oxford, Bournemouth, Wigan, Barnsley, Bradford, Swindon have all been there since PNE.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Cherry Blue said:

If ever we needed to see a reaction from a previous game it's on Tuesday. We failed badly at this place before and to fail again would question TMs position. We need plenty of goals, a clean sheet and 110% from everyone including TM. 

We could lose 10-0 and it would be business as usual down at Ewood on Wednesday morning.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Think of it as Limbo psychology. All very sad lol.....

Every one of their neighbours and local rivals have tasted top-flight glory in recent years.

There are PNE fans in their late 60's, who have never seen their team play a single game in the top flight.

The likes of Carlisle, Notts County, Oxford, Bournemouth, Wigan, Barnsley, Bradford, Swindon have all been there since PNE.

Don't forget Oldham.

I'm in my 70's now and I've never seen them at top level. I remember them playing in the 1964 Cup Final though.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Don't forget Oldham.

I'm in my 70's now and I've never seen them at top level. I remember them playing in the 1964 Cup Final though.

The 1964 Cup run is one for us to forget, losing 3-1 in the 5th round to the mighty Oxford Utd.

That afternoon, me and my mates were having a kick about at the side of The Fernhurst pub and every few minutes one of us would go into the corner shop to get a score update off the owner who had the radio on. We couldn’t believe what was happening and trudged off home well before the final whistle.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Don't forget Oldham.

Brought back memories, not of the 64 cup final I wasn't born, but of us playing Oldham in our first season in the Premier League.

What players we had then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riversider28 said:

The 1964 Cup run is one for us to forget, losing 3-1 in the 5th round to the mighty Oxford Utd.

That afternoon, me and my mates were having a kick about at the side of The Fernhurst pub and every few minutes one of us would go into the corner shop to get a score update off the owner who had the radio on. We couldn’t believe what was happening and trudged off home well before the final whistle.

I was playing amateur football that day and we used to drop off the bus back in town to see the scores come in on the " Grandstand " teleprinter in the front window of a TV rental shop. When the Rovers score came up I said to my mates " They'll have got that wrong, it should be the other way around ". Mistakes did happen with the teleprinter, but not that day. We could have won the cup easily that year.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm 77. ? I'm a Preston boy and my mother and all her family, my grandad, uncles and cousins, were North Enders.

I remember them being promoted from Div 2 and finishing runners-up in Div 1 the following season ( I think). They had a fabulous team which contained Tom Finney, Willie Cunningham and Tommy Docherty among others. They drew big crowds then, a lot coming down from Lancaster and Morecambe areas.

Fortunately for me :brfc::wub:  my dad was a Rover and was taking me to Ewood to watch a struggling second division side playing in blue and white quarters. This was just before we brought in Langton, Quigley, Kelly and Briggs. After that it got a lot better.

I had a friend, Bob Plunkett. I would go to his house on a Saturday afternoon to see if he would come and play out. His mum always said, "He's gone on't North End". I never learned. No doubt he would have come to my house on other Saturday afternoons to be told I'd gone to the Rovers.:rolleyes:

• Like 6

Just now, bazza said:

I'm 77. ? I'm a Preston boy and my mother and all her family, my grandad, uncles and cousins, were North Enders.

I remember them being promoted from Div 2 and finishing runners-up in Div 1 the following season ( I think). They had a fabulous team which contained Tom Finney, Willie Cunningham and Tommy Docherty among others. They drew big crowds then, a lot coming down from Lancaster and Morecambe areas.

Fortunately for me :brfc::wub:  my dad was a Rover and was taking me to Ewood to watch a struggling second division side playing in blue and white quarters. This was just before we brought in Langton, Quigley, Kelly and Briggs. After that it got a lot better.

I had a friend, Bob Plunkett. I would go to his house on a Saturday afternoon to see if he would come and play out. His mum always said, "He's gone on't North End". I never learned. No doubt he would have come to my house on other Saturday afternoons to be told I'd gone to the Rovers.:rolleyes:

Have to pick you up on the "quarters" Bazza. Always halves to me

• Like 2

Just now, bazza said:

You got lucky there Bazza, god bless your old man!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duckson said:

PNE had one shot on target in 73 mins vs 10 man Sheff Wed on Saturday. 
They’ve been shocking at home this season and clueless by all accounts (my son works for PNE), so naturally a perfect game for them! 

About time we did them over!

we should be chomping at the bit to get at a side that is playing poorly at the moment,however,it does`nt always happen with the current rovers side,you never know though,hope springs eternal that we`ll have one of those games where everyone shows up

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bazza said:

There is a fair old set of areas for them to draw from should they ever become established in the promised land.  

Lancaster, Morcambe, Kendall and all surrounding areas just a hop and skip down the A6 or M6.

13 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Have to pick you up on the "quarters" Bazza. Always halves to me

Read the books, Jim.  

However, if you want to accept that the shirt is divided into 4 halves then so be it.

In the early 1950s they were known as quarters. Language changes. Railway stations are now known as train stations although the actual station is situated on the railway and not on the train.

Edited by bazza

Just now, bazza said:

Read the books, Jim.  

However, if you want to accept that the shirt is divided into 4 halves then so be it.

I'd say it was divided into 2 halves - you can't see the shirt from both sides at the same time after all.

Is the Bristol Rovers shirt divided into eighths? 

It's been done to death but still splits the fans!

Back to PNE anyway. About time we beat them

• Like 1

Preston appear to have limped their way to a narrow win over Wednesday yesterday to finally get off the mark at home. They won't be bothered how they did it, they'll just be relieved to break the run and get the monkey off their backs.

Sometimes narrow or fortuitous wins are what are needed just to bring the bad runs to an end. Seen it many times before where sides do that and then turn a corner and go on a good run.

Preston have had the better of us now for several years. Time for that to change but they just seem to be able to find another gear when needed whilst Rovers just can't cope with it.

In 1960 I believe that Peter Swan, the Sheffield Wednesday centre half, grabbed Derek Dougan's genitals and squeezed them during the FA Cup semi-final when it looked like Rovers were going to win and Dougan had said to him, "Want to buy a ticket for the cup final?"