BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nobbers v Rovers, Tues 24 Nov 7.45pm

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I liked how Dolan was busting a gut to get onto that cross. If you're a winger get right into the box when the ball is on the other flank. That's what he did and he was rewarded with a tap in. 

Something else thats been a bit of a dying art that, take those gambles.

Just now, tomphil said:

Something else thats been a bit of a dying art that, take those gambles.

Definitely, do that regularly and the goals will come. Stay out wide and nothing happens. He was picked out well though, no thought of a shot at goal, put it on a plate for the lad.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

Brilliant performance and easy win v a dreadful PNE. Think they need a change as things seem to have gone very stagnant there.

Thought Douglas was superb, any notion of playing the useless Bell seemed illogical and Douglas seems a considerable and needed upgrade. Kaminski could have sat in the stands, Nyambe was good on the right with one superb pass in the first half and both centre backs were equally good, Wharton deserves his praise but equally on the back of a poor start to the season, Lenihan deserves praise for his return to form especially guiding the younger Wharton.

The front 3 were quiet for 40 minutes but Gallagher did brilliantly to get Rafferty sent off which changed the game. Great to see Brereton get to 3 goals now and really look like a different player. Rothwell was fairly ineffective but came to life for the second with a superb individual run and assist, Holtby controlled the game and showed realy quality and class and Trybull was much more comfortable deeper. The subs had it very easy with the game as it was when they came on but all did well and great to see Dolan score after great contributions from Elliott and Brereton.

Today more than ever, not being in the ground and instead watching batter Preston only on a stream in an empty stadium did massively take the shine off I have to say. Presume I am not on my own there.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Great win.  Dominant.  Have to say I enjoyed Davenport's little cameo.  I'd have him in ahead of Trybul/Evans any day. 

I think he deserves more game time now. His engine suits our style. Would be gutting to see Evan's back in when fit ahead of Davenport and Buckley

• Like 5

Delighted with that. Dolan scoring was just the cherry on top.  Apart from boro I think we have been very good for most of the season. I'm just praying for a winning run. 

I expect a top 6 finish this year. For the first time since our PL relegation. Anything less is failure. 

I've never classed Preston as a derby, they didnt invoke any feelings from me at all. But the last few years have changed that. I laugh at how much hate they have for us. 

Is it true they got rid of the youth set ups. That's unforgivable imo. I'm loving how many youths we have in out matchday squad week in week out.

Well played Scott wharton. 

• Like 1

I have been critical in the past of a more than one of our star performers tonight, but I am delighted to take it all back and then some. I have no idea at all what has happened to Brereton since March but I am struggling to recall such a noticable, sustained transformation in one of our players. He was utterly superb tonight, and well worthy of his goal (I'll go with clever finish over scuffed fluke!) and assist tonight.

If Gallagher persists with how he has been since he came on on Saturday afternoon then I am also starting to feel optimistic about him. Didn't stop running all night and, for the first goal, did exactly what he should be doing when stuck out wide - using his combination of pace and strength to create opportunities. Would have loved for him to have bagged his goal at the end.

Also delighted for Dolan tonight - had one hell of six months but I feel his goal tonight was a nice closure for his departure from North End, and also a fitting tribute to both his friend he lost and the sheer joy he has given us so far.

Praise is due though to everyone involved tonight - Kaminski looks unlike anyone I've seen at Rovers post-Friedel, Douglas brought to the table what he was renowned for at Leeds, Wharton is more than holding his own so far, Lenihan had some fire about him - we need that, Trybull had his best game as a Rover, Holtby is basically Andrea Pirlo, Rothwell and Arma did what Rothwell and Arma do, Buckley and Davenport looked bright when they came on...

It feels so good to type this with a beaming smile and absolutely nothing negative to say. Easily the game I've enjoyed the most since the summer restart. Now, please God, can we have some of that against Barnsley and not a rerun of Kenilworth Road...

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Total opposite to the Luton game when we looked weak and ineffective..... why can't Mowbray get the team to play like that more often?

The answer to that is Holtby, and the surprisingly unpopular Trybull, who I actually think provides the balance and cover that allowed the rest to play with freedom. 

The main reason we are  doing better is the confidence that Kaminski gives our back four. It's a bloody revelation. 

What a TOTAL performance agsinst our nearest rivals. 

Peace. 

Edited by garnersfags
  • Like 3

Just now, Paul Mellelieu said:

Douglas starting to show his class too after a few so-so games.

He wasn't really put under any pressure today. To be fair to Joe he Bark played the other side.

I agree with Joe that Douglas lack of pace and defensive focus will ultimately be an issue for us.

But hey, let's enjoy the win!

Just now, ossyian said:

I think he deserves more game time now. His engine suits our style. Would be gutting to see Evan's back in when fit ahead of Davenport and Buckley

That's the deeply frustrating side of it with and why we'd be better off now with him gone. 

• Like 1

Fantastic win. I didn't fancy our chances before the match but it was quite clear in the opening 10 mins that we're a far superior outfit to Preston this season. I doubt we will get an easier game all season. They just gave up after we scored our second goal. 

Wharton, Douglas, Holtby and Brereton were the pick of the bunch for me. Gallagher produced the key moment of the match which justified the decision to start him. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Fantastic team performance. Not sure we can read too much into it though because Preston were so poor it is hard to judge who has cemented their place.

A couple exceptions to that though :

1) Wharton was absolutely brilliant, and continuing a trend of the last few games. Seems to be a properly physical dominant defender of the old school. Was also pleasingly composed under pressure. Think he may be a real prospect for us.

2) Davenport showed some real bite and quality when he came on. With Rovers just starting on an intense seven week schedule of two games per week and the five sub rule I think he could finally get a run of games. Our system needs 2 of the 3 centre mids to get up and down and we only have Rothwell, Holtby and maybe Buckley who can do that. Surely Davenport will get a run next time we are short rather than playing Evans, Johnson or Trybull in a box to box role they can't deliver.

Wharton was great tonight. Perhaps we can put to bed the brilliance of Patrick Bauer!

Astonishing statistics for the possession in the game. 
I’m really chuffed for Gallagher as his running and physicality caused the sending off. It’s that effort as in the Coventry game that cause defenders to get sent off and thus make the game a little easier.

Holtby is an absolute gem and he and Rothwell can be really dynamic in this league.

• Like 2

Great win. Had a feeling about Dolan getting in on it. Hopefully that goal fills him full of confidence. 

Holtby is too good for this league. Wonder how many Premier sides are keeping an eye out.

With this squad we are so much better playing on the front foot. 

Just now, joey_big_nose said:

He wasn't really put under any pressure today. To be fair to Joe he Bark played the other side.

I agree with Joe that Douglas lack of pace and defensive focus will ultimately be an issue for us.

But hey, let's enjoy the win!

Never to the extent that Bell will be a more favourable alternative though!

• Like 1

Quality... absolute quality.

Dominated, entertained and crucially delivered.

Everyone played their part, but special mentions to:

Wharton, again deserves the run on merit, lively throughout.

Nyambe, lost his place to JRC but upped his game.

Bereton, chases everything a repeatedly won the ball.

Gallagher, gutted his performance wasn’t sealed with the 4th goal.

Kaminski, Football Manager 21 is right, he is a Sweeper Attack keeper!

Dolan, freebie... ouch, that will hurt PNE fans.

Douglas, previous games passed him by, but tonight was class.

Rothwell, quiet then Gazza spark, game won!

With fixtures coming thick and fast good to see decent game time for the squad players.

Great night!

Edited by JPTSwindon
  • Like 1

Just now, garnersfags said:

The answer to that is Holtby, and the surprisingly unpopular Trybull, who I actually think provides the balance and cover that allowed the rest to play with freedom. 

The main reason we are  doing better is tge confidence that Kaminski gives our back four. It's a bloody revelation. 

What a TOTAL performance agsinst our nearest rivals. 

Peace. 

Not certain about Trybull - but you are right, it was pretty much the perfect performance. Kept waiting for them to balls it up - but it was the perfect team performance. Some will mention the sending off - but tbh (on the night) that was just a sign of our superiority. Dont often get matches like that - so will just enjoy for now.

• Like 2