BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nobbers v Rovers, Tues 24 Nov 7.45pm

Just now, AllRoverAsia said:

What did you think of the Ref?

I think he was conned by Gallagher for our penalty and the sending off. SG had a grip of Rafferty's shirt from well outside the area, then simply stepped across and fell over.

With that error maybe on his mind he let Browne get away with a bad foul on Douglas. That should have been a 2nd yellow and off,

This let PNE know they would get away with their shithousery.

He then let Potts get away with a deliberate and nasty kick on Elliott and in the same passage of play failed to punish Ledson;s aggression toward Elliott who was on the floor injured.

Brereton's protective action towards the welfare of the named PNE players in the above incident I found odd. No thats not true, it pissed me off.

We comfortably beat 10 men, big deal.

I thought Gallagher was clever in winning the penalty. He was clearly pulled outside the penalty area but he kept on going. Perhaps it's doing him a disservice though and his focus was just to score. I shouted for the penalty and red card immediately. Generally the referee was okay but Browne got away with a couple after he had been booked and the challenge on Elliott was worthy of more. Johnson also got away with one.

Like you I shouted when Brereton patted the Nobber on the head after kicking Elliot. Too nice by far. Lenihan showed the right reaction for me. We have to start becoming horrible to play against. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I thought Gallagher was clever in winning the penalty. He was clearly pulled outside the penalty area but he kept on going. Perhaps it's doing him a disservice though and his focus was just to score. I shouted for the penalty and red card immediately. Generally the referee was okay but Browne got away with a couple after he had been booked and the challenge on Elliott was worthy of more. Johnson also got away with one.

Like you I shouted when Brereton patted the Nobber on the head after kicking Elliot. Too nice by far. Lenihan showed the right reaction for me. We have to start becoming horrible to play against. 

I've seen plenty of those where the ref has given a free kick just outside the penalty area. couldn't really have complained if he had.

Have we gone from paupers to princes in terms of pens awarded?I seem to remember when we couldn't buy one.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, philipl said:

75% possession for us, 0 shots on target for PNE.

By way of comparison, only Barcelona with 70% possession in Kyiv come close to that level of dominance from last night's matches. Even Exeter's 6-1 demolition of Colchester came from just 54% possession while Hull won 3-0 at Ipswich from just 36% possession!

Hopefully, if we keep last night's squad fit they can repeat those sorts of performances.

And we needed that win just to keep in touch with wins for Norwich, Bournemouth and Brentford lastnight and straightforward games for Boro and Swansea coming up tonight.

Fingers crossed for two draws Millwall v Reading and Bristol City v Watford.

The only thing anyone could possibly complain about is that 3 goals was a poor return for all that dominance.

The Nobber Facebook pages make entertaining reading this AM.

Those who like to chuck stones at the moaning on here could do worse than spend ten mins reading them. They don't hold back although I've not seen any ranting on about losing to a team with a superior budget ?

Fair to say their expectation levels appear to outweigh ours without spending good money on transfers and large wages.

Odd bunch but always have been, Neil's had them batting way above their station. My advice to them is get rid asap p, Owen Coyle would fit your lot perfectly ?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

I've seen plenty of those where the ref has given a free kick just outside the penalty area. couldn't really have complained if he had.

Have we gone from paupers to princes in terms of pens awarded?I seem to remember when we couldn't buy one.

It does seem a bit feast or famine on the penalty front. Mowbray made the point about quite a few sendings off against us because we are prepared to run in behind and usually at pace. It's a gamble sometimes to stay onside but it's a risk worth taking,  however frustrating it is when they are actually off. I also think the quality of pass is crucial too and Holtby sees that run.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, neophox said:

I cant see the manager change his starting eleven after this game.Places up for grabs.

Johnson coming back provides a bit of a quandary. Hopefully he doesn't do something mad like swap out Holtby or Rothwell. I don't think he will though.  Mowbray knows they are our best mids.

Trybull played pretty well but I think Johnson may come back in for Saturday. Reckon rest of the team the same.

We really do look like we have great strength in depth. Once Travis and Dack are back we will have some subs bench. In the era of 5 subs that is going to be a very potent weapon.

The morning after the night before?

Great away result and puts to bed the fact the knob end have stolen point after point against us over 5 years, have had refs on their side and have had some big decisions go their way in most games. What a refreshing change. Rovers absolutely battered them in every department, skill, effort, football, nouse, pride,tactics and formation.

3-0 did not do that squad justice and credit to Mowbray and co.

4 points on the road isn’t a bad return, we just have to back it up with 2 home results and being Rivers fans we all know that isn’t an easy thing to do!

We move on, knobbers are very quiet today and rightly so.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LeftWinger said:

Well I'll hold my hands up and say I was horrified to see Sam Gallagher playing on the wing when I saw his name on the team sheet.

That worked out pretty well in the end, so credit where credit is due.

That's the one in ten it actually works.

Then it has to justify the other 9 !!!

Is it only me who's noticed Gallagher seems to have a decent game the same time Brereton does ?

Maybe just coincidence or just because the whole team is at it but it does seem that way. Maybe when Brereton is lively it just created a bit more room or something.

I’m all for giving the guy shit... but was TM actually right all along and Brereton’s best position is from the wing?! Or has he just developed him into that? Still early to say on Breo but the way he’s playing this season is very very promising.

We shouldn't get too carried away just because we beat a poor 10 man outfit from Bamber Bridge.. Remember, in the words of old Shakespeare, "One swallow, a summer doth not make" (or something like that).. But my goodness, it was great making North End swallow ;)

Suck it up, nobbers!

Onwards and hopefully upwards for the Rovers. COYB!

• Like 4

• Backroom
53 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Is it only me who's noticed Gallagher seems to have a decent game the same time Brereton does ?

Maybe just coincidence or just because the whole team is at it but it does seem that way. Maybe when Brereton is lively it just created a bit more room or something.

Easy to have a good game against a team that bad in fairness. We could have brought Keith Andrews out of retirement and played him on the wing and he would have looked decent last night. SG on the wing remains tactical idiocy on Mowbray's part.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, tomphil said:

I actually thought Gallagher had a different role last night. There did not appear to be the relentless long, diagonal balls aimed at his head out on the wing. He spent more time infield allowing Nyambe to bomb on. He played on the shoulders of defenders more than I have seen him but, as he did for the penalty once he is free his pace and strength become apparent. He is far from the finished article but playing to his strengths help.

• Like 6

Delighted with the result and super delighted for Dolan. Great to prove his previous club wrong in such a manner. And no one can be unhappy with a very comprehensive win. 

However a note of caution I'm not too sure we learned much new. We knew we can hammer the bad teams - and by all accounts Preston were dreadful (how are they above us?) We've known we need someone pulling the strings and a couple of runners in the three. And we have seen this season that Bereton is a flat track bully. And that is not a knock - it's 1000% better than what he was and what I ever envisaged he would be for us. All in all I'm not too sure how much changes from last night albeit it is good to get a good result (especially Vs Preston) and be reminded of the positives in our situation. 

A couple of other thoughts. 

1) TM going on about how great we will be when we get over Covid and injuries isn't living in the real world. Given Covid and the high volume of games neither Rovers or anyone else will get their whole squad at their disposal at any point. Also when you have 2 or 3 professional crocks its a tad optimistic to say the least!

2) The youngster whose development is perhaps most important to Rovers is Warton. Given how thin we are at the back and our reluctance to spend money there, a dependable solid option provided by him is huge. Really pleasing to see him developing. 

6 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I actually thought Gallagher had a different role last night. There did not appear to be the relentless long, diagonal balls aimed at his head out on the wing. He spent more time infield allowing Nyambe to bomb on. He played on the shoulders of defenders more than I have seen him but, as he did for the penalty once he is free his pace and strength become apparent. He is far from the finished article but playing to his strengths help.

I agree, the front 3 were much more fluid last night, regularly inter changing positions. They played more inside than I can remember and this made them difficult to pick up and created the space outside for Douglas and Nyambe as you say.

Holtby is key for me, he holds it all together in the centre of midfield and has a fantastic range of passing and vision. As was said last night, he resembles Tugay more with each passing game.

Just a shame we weren't there to witness it and rub a bit of salt in afterwards in the pub!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

I agree, the front 3 were much more fluid last night, regularly inter changing positions. They played more inside than I can remember and this made them difficult to pick up and created the space outside for Douglas and Nyambe as you say.

Holtby is key for me, he holds it all together in the centre of midfield and has a fantastic range of passing and vision. As was said last night, he resembles Tugay more with each passing game.

Just a shame we weren't there to witness it and rub a bit of salt in afterwards in the pub!

So we played with a center forward and two inside forwards. It's like going back to my youth.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, arbitro said:

He has the tools to be a beast if used correctly, no point trying to make him into a footballer because he isn't one.  Imo just try and improve on what he's got rather than add things he isn't capable of. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

I’m all for giving the guy shit... but was TM actually right all along and Brereton’s best position is from the wing?! Or has he just developed him into that? Still early to say on Breo but the way he’s playing this season is very very promising.

I think naturally he's a 'wide' forward so it's just a matter of getting that out of him. Needs the team playing well and a solid platform like last night but he's starting to look decent regularly against the more limited teams.

Been a bit of stick for Mowbray religiously playing 4-3-3 post lockdown and to some extent I get it as when the right players aren't available you've got to mix it up but...

4-3-3 has really solved a lot of problems we had with players who never fitted the systems we played before.

Rothwell wasn't really a winger as he came inside too much and was often out of the game too much. He is also better facing goal ready to drive. left of the midfield 3 has been revolutionary for him (interestingly it's always where he saw himself)

Holtby struggled to impact games on the wing, like Rothwell didn't get involved enough. As a 10 he could be out of games for long periods and you never though he was going to hurt you like Dack could. On the right of the 3 he is involved a lot more and is getting the ball frequently in key areas with runners in front of him (which is key) and naturally he has looked like the quality player we thought we were signing.

Brereton - Only a subtle change in the way he is being used but still more advanced - gets him closer to the box, he isn't wasting as much time and energy tracking back, he can get closer to the box. 

Armstrong can play through the middle now as he is has Brereton close to him to do some hold up play. Armstrong in a 4-4-1-1 would be much less effective.

Still interested to see where Dack slots back into all this.

• Like 8