BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Nobbers v Rovers, Tues 24 Nov 7.45pm

25 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really want or need to see a "ball playing centre back".

Get your toe, head, knee what ever on things and give it to the lads in midfield who can influence things further up the pitch.

A proper centre-half is what we've been crying out for - hopefully Wharton can develop into that.

I'd love a Short type centre half right now.

3 minutes ago, S8 & Blue said:

There'd be an argument for Wharton and Williams being our best centre-back pairing this season so far.

Best thing from last few matches is that we now seem to have 4 first team centre halves. Previously I was worried when Wharton had to play - now I think he should keep his place even when Williams and Ayala are available. My only caution is that he has yet to come across a really top forward line - but deserves his chance.

Edited by DavidMailsTightPerm
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't really want or need to see a "ball playing centre back".

Get your toe, head, knee what ever on things and give it to the lads in midfield who can influence things further up the pitch.

I particularly enjoyed a moment late in the first half when he came out near the corner flag to take the ball off a North End player and then just thumped the ball into row Z rather than trying to play it out in a tight spot.

• Like 5

Lovely afternoon to be at work here in Preston although a lot of my colleagues seem to be avoiding me for some reason.

A lot of very unhappy, scowling faces today.  Even heard a new conspiracy theory that Paul Gallagher gave the nod to Rovers when PNE were dithering over Dolan's future. 

Oh happy days! 

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Lovely afternoon to be at work here in Preston although a lot of my colleagues seem to be avoiding me for some reason.

A lot of very unhappy, scowling faces today.  Even heard a new conspiracy theory that Paul Gallagher gave the nod to Rovers when PNE were dithering over Dolan's future

Oh happy days! 

Just agree, yeh you heard similar.

Once a lad from Roman Road Estate and The Manxman...........

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Just amused myself reading the knobbers forum on last nights result ?? deluded fukwits

I've done the same today I'm afraid.

Cheered me up no end, it really is comedy gold. On what grounds other than recent bragging rights have they the right to think they should be able to laud it over us?

They've never won fuck all or even come close for a century. They've punched way above their weight for a number of seasons, they should be grateful for that.

At last, we put them well and truly in their place. They might be a city but we're the most successful town team in the world!

One comment I notice on their forum relating to the fact they didn't even have a corner. They were questioning when the last time they didn't have a shot on target or a corner in a game.

I've had a look back over the last three years where they've failed to score and can't find any other time they've not had either a shot on goal or a corner in a game. Can't be bothered going back any further than that.

Posession 25%

Shots on goal 0

Corners 0

Pathetic effort.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, LeftWinger said:

Re: Gallagher

It's worth noting where he's run from to win the penalty. He's about 20 yards inside his own half when the ball is played. 6 seconds later he's being brought down in the box. Fantastic determination and pace - but even better for the fact he's had to take a couple of touches with the ball (from just inside their half) and managed to get his body across the defender to draw the foul. Great forward play.

38s.jpg

44s.jpg

Looks like he majorly outran the ref as well!

Proud to be a Rovers fan after that. Fantastic. Deserved more goals for such an imperious performance.

I was a bit worried someone might get a serious injury, as they were so frustrated and humiliated....and that was a good few minutes before the assault on Elliott.

Once again, if only we can build on it ....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, arbitro said:

Entirely agree with Holtby. He's such a clever player. For Brereton's goal he has a player to his left and he gives the Nobbers 'the eyes' by looking at him. As they anticipated Holtby passing to him he played Brereton in without even looking at him. There aren't too many players who can do that.

It was Rothwell who played in Brereton for his goal

• Like 4

Some fans have questioned Scott Wharton's distribution but I thought it was very good against Preston and on a few occasions, he was given the ball in tight spaces and dealt with it really well and made good decisions, like the one in the first half, where he was about a yard from the line with a Preston player coming to him and he just booted it into the stands and ran back into position rather than risk something silly.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Players who can carry the ball like that and pull defenders out of position are a nightmare to play against. I just wish he would do it a bit more often.

He does it too often for my liking, running into packs of defenders and not getting a pass away.

1 hour ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

He does it too often for my liking, running into packs of defenders and not getting a pass away.

Agree EiT, but he is definitely improving in that regard. It`s also up to the other attackers to move and drag those defenders he runs into out of his way ?

On 25/11/2020 at 02:14, LeftWinger said:

Well I'll hold my hands up and say I was horrified to see Sam Gallagher playing on the wing when I saw his name on the team sheet.

That worked out pretty well in the end, so credit where credit is due.

You weren't the only one.

• Like 3

On 25/11/2020 at 04:48, BlackburnEnd75 said:

Been a bit of stick for Mowbray religiously playing 4-3-3 post lockdown and to some extent I get it as when the right players aren't available you've got to mix it up but...

4-3-3 has really solved a lot of problems we had with players who never fitted the systems we played before.

Rothwell wasn't really a winger as he came inside too much and was often out of the game too much. He is also better facing goal ready to drive. left of the midfield 3 has been revolutionary for him (interestingly it's always where he saw himself)

Holtby struggled to impact games on the wing, like Rothwell didn't get involved enough. As a 10 he could be out of games for long periods and you never though he was going to hurt you like Dack could. On the right of the 3 he is involved a lot more and is getting the ball frequently in key areas with runners in front of him (which is key) and naturally he has looked like the quality player we thought we were signing.

Brereton - Only a subtle change in the way he is being used but still more advanced - gets him closer to the box, he isn't wasting as much time and energy tracking back, he can get closer to the box. 

Armstrong can play through the middle now as he is has Brereton close to him to do some hold up play. Armstrong in a 4-4-1-1 would be much less effective.

Still interested to see where Dack slots back into all this.

Yet time and time again he is mopping up at the back.  A couple of tackles our defenders would be proud of AND then bring the ball out at his feet not just punt it long.

• Like 2