BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Barnsley. Sat 28 Nov 3pm

55 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

You couldn't possibly know that and it makes no sense anyway. 

Mowbray hinted as such in his interviews. Why wouldn’t it make sense? 

I don’t have the info to hand on who else came in that summer, but to suggest we just blew £7 million of a budget on one 18yr old player doesn’t make sense.

I know the easy option is to say, yes Mowbray spent it! Mowbrays an idiot! But that shows a real lack of understanding on how football clubs work.

59 minutes ago, TBTF said:

Totally right .

I also think we need to just calm down a bit over the justification of BB & SG. 
yes much better from BB this year largely down to a much improved work rate and far better use of his strength . Is he a finisher ? Not in my book - his one on one in the 2nd half today for example was embarrassing . So he’s doing ok but £7m ? Not for me.

SG getting lauded for a couple of goals which is fine and today’s was great . But 4 games ago I didn’t want him near the team . 
Still too much reliance on AA for our goals . If he has a quiet spell or gets injured I worry for us .

promising signs I’d say big much still to deliver . 

Yep. Sums up neatly. 

Encouraging signs but one summer and all that.

We all pray this transformation continues against meaner defences, but really happy with everyone's contribution at present. 

• Like 1

Just now, Wood26 said:

I don’t have the info to hand on who else came in that summer, but to suggest we just blew £7 million of a budget on one 18yr old player doesn’t make sense.

I know the easy option is to say, yes Mowbray spent it! Mowbrays an idiot! But that shows a real lack of understanding on how football clubs work.

Mowbray had been unable to spend the money. He admitted it at the time, something like 'it was burning a hole in his pocket and if you've got it, spend it'. He didn't have a separate pot marked 'young expensive lads only - not to be used for anything else'! That would be silly. I very much doubt football clubs are run like that, especially in the Championship, so maybe you're the one with a 'real lack of understanding'?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wood26 said:

Are you suggesting this is how normal clubs operate?

I notice you ignored my comments about TM's seeming lack of reaction to his job being stolen from under him by the owner telling him what to do (if indeed this is what happened).

Edited by 47er
  • Like 1

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Mowbray had been unable to spend the money. He admitted it at the time, something like 'it was burning a hole in his pocket and if you've got it, spend it'. He didn't have a separate pot marked 'young expensive lads only - not to be used for anything else'! That would be silly. I very much doubt football clubs are run like that, especially in the Championship, so maybe you're the one with a 'real lack of understanding'?

To be fair, our club's hardly been run 'normally' in the true sense of the word for the past 10 years, so who knows? There may have been other factors involved in Brereton's transfer that weren't 'normal' either.

I can't get my head around how a player who looked and performed more like Norman Wisdom for 2 years and couldn't trap a bag of cement, now resembles a decent footballer in the making. Long may it continue.

I was impressed with Barnsley, not sure if they play that way every week or it was just their game plan for us.  Either way it worked a treat they nullified us as an attacking threat for the whole first half.  So nice to see us win one when we perhaps were not the better team.  Most of our key players were not at the races today, early injury did not help but I thought Bell did ok.  A few poor touches and lack of control bit he did not cost us.  I am on a downer Wharton had to go off injured too and hope he is ok he is turning out to be a useful defender is the lad. .Perhaps we could have.kept the Ayala money in our pocket after all.  So on to the Lions not an easy game this one either, hoping for a little more pinch from us.

Good finish from Gally too today and one worldie from Kaminski and one very smart stop has me thinking we have finally put the Raya bug a boo to bed.  This lad is without doubt a superior keeper.  (watch him turn to dog doo now). Pleased with the result but we must play better, smarter.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, booth said:

Not a great performance but I thought Barnsley were a dirty bunch in the first half and the referee enabled it which ruined our flow.

I hope Douglas isn't out too long.

You know I thought that too lots of sly little kicks and pushes that the ref just let go.  No one else seemed to mention it so I thought is was perhaps just my bias.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Blue n whites said:

Below average performance. Thought we were second best all over the pitch first half. 

I'm delighted to win playing ugly, we have seen both sides to us this week alone having battered Preston and struggled in.parts today. Usually we would of lost or drew this game.

Superb assist by Nyambe. Some great saves and a sweet strike by Gallagher got us the points.

Very content. Keeps us on track for a top 6 finish which is expected this year. Hopefully start getting a few players back from injury soon.

That's not true, we were seldom out of our own half.

8 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

Bad performance or Barnsley played well - not sure. You have to give credit to Barnsley who looked good. Obvious need for TM to look at tactics when teams pressurise us.  But good finishing and goal keeping saw us over the line.

A few route one long balls for Arma to go chase might have helped but we kept on tippy tappying around in our own half.  They had nothing to worry about so could camp out at our end.

8 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I would actually say Evans offers more as he closes down and gets a tackle in. Trybull sits deep and stands off which is not good. Obviously has a decent range of passing on him but plays very conservatively.

He wasn't useless, he killed off a few of their attacks, but I think he is just not what our system is after, instinctively he works against it. I reckon he will get a few more games but then fade out once Travis is back, while Johnson will continue to be a big part of what we do.

We miss Trav.  Can't wait for him to be back.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, philipl said:

What a beautiful ugly win!

Four pieces of class won it for us:

Nyambe's run and pull back for goal 1

Gallagher's strike for goal 2

and two Kaminsky saves

Huge credit to the Barnsley boss. He has those players playing far above their level of ability. Set pieces are outstanding. So much variety brilliantly delivered. 

That was awesome, so strong holding off the defender and a great final ball.

• Like 2

Dogged display but YUGE result which keeps us bubbling along as others above us slipped up.  If we can (dare I say it) make it 6 unbeaten midweek we could be in decent shape to make a top 6 push before the end of the dreaded 2020.  Recent goals from Gally and Big Ben have me smiling as if they continue to shine we might have the tools to surprise some more as the season goes on,

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wood26 said:

I agree with everything else you said in your post.

But my point on Brereton which i think some aren’t understanding is that we didnt have 7 million available for defenders and goal keepers. We had a budget, which we used, and then we had 7 million on top for a 19yr old we thought we could buy, make a player and sell for profit.

We have all seen enough Mowbray interviews to know how tight he is, there’s no way he was given such a large budget and blew so much on a development player.

Opinion, stop talking as fact.

6 hours ago, Wood26 said:

He was criticised for performance, rightly so, and he was used in every single post on here by someone having a pop at Mowbray, every single post.

And once again because you must of skipped me theory, there wasn’t £7 million available to spend on a defence. There was a budget for the team, the Brereton money was extra as an investment

Again, talking as fact.

4 hours ago, Wood26 said:

And you have a fantastic understanding of how football clubs work?

Look, rather than enjoy the win - you have come on after a win to attack fellow fans, rewrite history, and claim to know the full story behind the BB transfer.

4 hours ago, Wood26 said:

We were given an injection - we were linked to Assombalonga that window, Freeman - all big signings. To suggest that money was all about a young 18 year old is nonsense. It was part of our budget. We ran out of time, missed out on our main targets and got desperate to spend the money at the last minute.

• Like 1

Wood26 recollection is the same as mine.  

Not judging either the wisdom or indeed veracity of this but Mowbray has twice said that Venky's set aside a pot to get a young, preferably English forward and it was burning a hole when he signed Ben. 

The £5m on Gallagher was always the more puzzling spend in the context you mention. He chose to spend on a relatively high waged forward when there were huge gaps still at gk and in defence.

The development of Ben since lock down and Sam in recent games are the huge unexpected but prayed for bonuses of this season! As much a surprise as Ben being qualified to play for Chile.

Actually there is another big bonus of this season which is the 4-3-3 system.

Barnsley's 3-5-2 is another unusual but well drilled system which suits their players and took us 40 minutes to come to terms with.

Edited by philipl

5 hours ago, 47er said:

Injury record has become a real concern.I can't remember us picking up injuries so regularly.

Are we we just unlucky or is there something wrong with our training and/or our medical staff?

I don't think we are the only ones suffering, look at some of the Premier League teams like Liverpool, many others are raising concerns that their medical teams are bringing to them given the workload on most players at present, lots of muscular injuries around, rather than breaks and fractures.

Sure someone more tech savy than me could have a look at some data on t'interweb to back that up, or not.

Cracking result in that this is a game we’ve tripped over in on many occasions. Barnsley’s pressing upto 40th minute was unbelievable. But we never became impatient and when we got our chances, boy did we make them pay!

Kaminski and AA on a different planet in terms of ability to effect results. Whilst the likes of Holtby, Rothwell, Brereton, Harvey and dare I say it, Gallagher look ready to decimate opposing teams if they get even a whiff of space in the final third.

The expectation now is of a top 6 finish and I’ve publicly stated my frustrations before. But if we go up to the PL playing like this with a mid table budget 4yrs after Mowbray inherited Coyles shit show of a team, then I think Venkys and Mowbray deserve a lot of credit.

Mowbray has in effect built three teams. One to get out of League one and then another to solidify our place in the Championship. These two teams relied on a direct style. Then thirdly this team which has completely evolved into a free flowing, high press outfit. To build different teams like that is not easy.

I really enjoyed yesterday’s game. Felt like the performance of a team who know what they want. Long may it continue.

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, philipl said:

Barnsley's 3-5-2 is another unusual 

Why unusual? 

Watford, Swansea, Bristol City, Boro sometimes, Derby have this season, Coventry, Stoke, Brentford back up system, Millwall all have play 3 at back this season in the championship 

Or do you mean 2 up front.

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Why unusual? 

Watford, Swansea, Bristol City, Boro sometimes, Derby have this season, Coventry, Stoke, Brentford back up system, Millwall all have play 3 at back this season in the championship 

Or do you mean 2 up front.

You have made my point for me!

44 minutes ago, philipl said:

You have made my point for me!

Plenty of teams will play 3 at the back during the season. Nothing unusual about that..

Swansea, Bristol City, Watford, Birmingham, Boro and Stoke have play 2 up front when they played 3 at the back during the season so what is so unusual about that? 

7 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I do think on the injury front that the main 2 reasons are the fact that we have many injury prone players and obviously fixture congestion and the pandemic. Other teams are really suffering too (see Norwich today who had half a bench and all kids) which is why I am reluctant to put too much stock in the narrative that injuries are a major excuse. I think they are normal at the moment across the board.

Interesting that injury-hit Norwich had the same number of players out (13) that we had for two matches. 

They could only assemble a bench of 6, 5 of whom are untried kids.

When we were 13 out, Hayden Carter who had recent Championship experience and came on yesterday, couldn't even make the squad of 18.. I don't think he was the only one with first team experience to miss out at that time either.

All credit to Delia Smith and hubby for getting Norwich to where they have been in recent seasons but even with the parachute they are cheese pairing. At £25m net worth, they are by some distance the least wealthy Championship owners.

2 hours ago, philipl said:

Wood26 recollection is the same as mine.  

Not judging either the wisdom or indeed veracity of this but Mowbray has twice said that Venky's set aside a pot to get a young, preferably English forward and it was burning a hole when he signed Ben. 

Can you point me to the TM quotes? I remember many of us presumed that was the case, as it was the only thing that made sense, ‘the model’, English premium, chance of flipping for profit etc, but I’m struggling to envision Balaji or whoever actually sitting down with the manager and being that strategic... 

• Like 3