BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Barnsley. Sat 28 Nov 3pm

54 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Considering he’s ‘all about the positives’, he’s being very belittling and negative of Blackburn Rovers.

Apart from the mid 60s to mid 70s, this past decade has been the only one in our history were we haven’t either spent time in the top flight or been challenging at the top end of the second tier to get back there.

In the late '60s we perennially challenged for promotion then fell away at the season end.

I think in the 26 seasons we were out of the top tier, we had serious promotion challenges to get back in about half of them plus the two successful third division campaigns.

Makes this decade look extremely dull.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

And we agreed they have a better squad, so therefore weren't hit as bad. The team they played even with the injuries was better than most clubs starting 11s. Hence why they are top of the league. 

You are really hanging your hat on Norwich to try and prove other clubs had it as bad and failing badly ? 

Any examples apart from them? 

I thing you are downplaying the injuries that Norwich have had. Yesterday they had Pukki, Hugill and Idah all injured in the same position so had to play a midfielder up front. They were missing Buendia, Cantwell and Dowell all from attacking midfield and were also missing a couple of full backs so had to play a young midfielder at left back which has been the case for a few games. Their bench was one senior centre back and then just kids.

Other teams have also been badly affected and again in specific areas. Preston are currently without all 4 senior full backs as well as Browne who sometimes plays at right back in an emergency, and have also had Pearson, Davies and Johnson out in recent weeks. Watford have had Capoue, Gray, Hughes, Deeney, Dele-Bashiru, Perica etc out at the start, they beat Boro on the opening day with 11 players out, some of whom have recently returned. Bristol City signed Mawson and Sessegnon in defence who have all been injured as well as Joe Williams and Liam Walsh in midfield and Andi Weimann. Stoke have had a bit of a goalkeeping injury crisis lately having to recall a kid from a loan spell with Gunn and Davies both injured.

The culmination of our injuries came v Forest when we had to put one kid in Brennan on the bench. Many of our players are injury prone anyway (Ayala, Williams, Evans, Douglas etc) so it is a little illogical to claim to be hard done by when those individuals succumb to further injury. But the side we put out that day was full of experience, the injuries werent really pooled in one specific area and 4 of the absentees where new signings that were either ineligible or simply not selected which is not something that we were hard done by.

The main issue for me is I dont think it is fair to imply that injuries and covid are the main reason that we arent in the top 6 because we dont have any evidence of being there prior. Injuries across the board are naturally more common this season.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Mattyblue said:

Considering he’s ‘all about the positives’, he’s being very belittling and negative of Blackburn Rovers.

Apart from the mid 60s to mid 70s, this past decade has been the only one in our history where we haven’t either spent time in the top flight or been challenging at the top end of the second tier to get back there.

It's because he is actually about positively accepting our current mediocrity.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not. Ours have been exceptionally bad. Norwich bad too, but a better squad. 

Even if they were poor yesterday, they would still have been better than whoever would replace them. 

Results picking up as players come back from injuries isn't a coincidence 

tbh - you need to read other forums of teams. Many are the same. PNE dont even have a single fullback.

7 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Nah not really. The size of the club, fan base, commercial potential, economic demographic and sustainability tell you that without a benefactor we are very much at our level.

Of course that doesn’t mean we are accepting of this and always want better but I’d say you believing otherwise is down to you believing the  golden years were real when in reality, Jack Walker inverted the whole thing with his millions. The truth is, we werent destined for greatness before Jack Walker and we began fading soon after his money dried up.

you need to stop with this level crap and read the history books 

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, tonygreenbank said:

We’ll get a chance to see a bit more of Barnsley this week as they’re on Sky for their next 2 games away at Birmingham and home to Bournemouth on Friday.

What made sky choose Barnsley at Birmingham? its not going to pull in the neutral viewers that.

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The main issue for me is I dont think it is fair to imply that injuries and covid are the main reason that we arent in the top 6 because we dont have any evidence of being there prior. Injuries across the board are naturally more common this season.

Injuries are 100% the main reason. Evans returning from injury and getting into the side has been the worst thing to happen to us this season.

4/4 games lost with him in the starting 11. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Miker said:

Injuries are 100% the main reason. Evans returning from injury and getting into the side has been the worst thing to happen to us this season.

Evans playing led to a very high win percentage last season. Unfortunately when he was played this season, he was used in a way that totally focused on the limitations in his game. He is also a player that Mowbray gave an extended contract to.

As of yet we have yet to prove that we are a genuine top 6 side or indeed anything other than an outsider. There is more promise though but until we fully emerge from mid table and break into the top 6, said promise will be unfulfilled.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Miker said:

Not true. He started the QPR game that we won and put in a blinder of a 5 minute cameo before he went off injured ?

I said that before Jack Walker we were not DESTINED for greatness (As a top PL team)...I stand by this. Without his money we would’ve settled into a similar position as we are now imo. His money and hard work jolted us into an amazing but unsustainable position. Once the cash withdrew, so did this status...

I’m a realist who wants more...

I’m not entitled and whining about something which never was..

As for settling for mediocrity? Haha be fantastic to stand shoulder to shoulder with a few in here and find out who really accepts mediocrity in their lives! ???

Edited by Paul Mani

14 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

Apart from the mid 60s to mid 70s, this past decade has been the only one in our history where we haven’t either spent time in the top flight or been challenging at the top end of the second tier to get back there.

This is the thing I’ve always said about those who “take the positives”. When the context is as bad as it has been it is basically a front to excuse mediocrity in the pursuit to be seen as the more virtuous fan.

The lower reaches of the second tier is absolutely not our “natural level” but it certainly will be where we remain if our own fans will it on us. Music to Waggott’s ears. “We’ve done everything we can”.

Jack didn’t give us our pride, he rekindled it.

This club, and town, used to be massive. There was real pride and prosperity. Now the people in charge of both bring us neither, and the townsfolk shuffle along in their hopelessness. “Well, this is all we can hope for really, better make the best of it” is apparently being positive. No, that is maintaining the status quo and pretending to be happy about it because “it could be worse”.

We should be demanding more.

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I said that before Jack Walker we were not DESTINED for greatness (As a top PL team)...I stand by this. Without his money we would’ve settled into a similar position as we are now imo. His money and hard work jolted us into an amazing but unsustainable position. Once the cash withdrew, so did this status...

I’m a realist who wants more...

I’m not entitled and whining about something which never was..

As for settling for mediocrity? Haha be fantastic to stand shoulder to shoulder with a few in here and find out who really accepts mediocrity in their lives! ???

So why foist mediocrity on us? Perhaps standing on the shoulders of giants may be more apt eh?

16 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I thing you are downplaying the injuries that Norwich have had. Yesterday they had Pukki, Hugill and Idah all injured in the same position so had to play a midfielder up front. They were missing Buendia, Cantwell and Dowell all from attacking midfield and were also missing a couple of full backs so had to play a young midfielder at left back which has been the case for a few games. Their bench was one senior centre back and then just kids.

Other teams have also been badly affected and again in specific areas. Preston are currently without all 4 senior full backs as well as Browne who sometimes plays at right back in an emergency, and have also had Pearson, Davies and Johnson out in recent weeks. Watford have had Capoue, Gray, Hughes, Deeney, Dele-Bashiru, Perica etc out at the start, they beat Boro on the opening day with 11 players out, some of whom have recently returned. Bristol City signed Mawson and Sessegnon in defence who have all been injured as well as Joe Williams and Liam Walsh in midfield and Andi Weimann. Stoke have had a bit of a goalkeeping injury crisis lately having to recall a kid from a loan spell with Gunn and Davies both injured.

The culmination of our injuries came v Forest when we had to put one kid in Brennan on the bench. Many of our players are injury prone anyway (Ayala, Williams, Evans, Douglas etc) so it is a little illogical to claim to be hard done by when those individuals succumb to further injury. But the side we put out that day was full of experience, the injuries werent really pooled in one specific area and 4 of the absentees where new signings that were either ineligible or simply not selected which is not something that we were hard done by.

Its pretty simple, if we had our better players available, we would be higher up the league. I don't get the controversy around that statement. 

Anyway, done with this conversation. Lets see how we go with better players, I'm gong to say, well, better. 

17 hours ago, JacknOry said:

you need to stop with this level crap and read the history books 

Yes, it is a really irritating fallacy and I foolishly took this up on a Rovers facebook page.

In my sad determination to lay this "natural level" ghost, I actually went and looked it up.

Several top 5 finishes in there- after suffering disappointments in our bids for automatic promotion...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I really don't to be honest. One is more than enough! 

I'm sure other clubs are picking up injuries. Early in the season ours were extremely bad. 

Yeah the clubs who have had covid and injury issues have struggled with results after like us.

Bristol City started season on fire, a few key men like us were out and their results and performances took a downturn.They like us have improved again lately.

Any team in the division who has the amount of players out Like we did earlier in the season will struggle aswell, maybe with the exception of the teams that came down who have bigger squads.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Yeah and Bristol City's results and performances took a downturn when their squad was hit, results have improved for them lately like they have with us.

Stokes results haven't been as good either since the keeper crisis.

Preston have also took a downturn since their squad was hit.

Watford and Norwich only came down have much bigger and better squads than most the division, it won't impact on them as much as the rest of the teams in the division

Edited by islander200

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Yeah and Bristol City's results and performances took a downturn when their squad was hit, results have improved for them lately like they have with us.

Stokes results haven't been as good either since the keeper crisis.

Preston have also took a downturn since their squad was hit.

Watford and Norwich only came down have much bigger and better squads than most the division, it won't impact on them as much as the rest of the teams in the division

Totally agree that unavailability can often lead to a downturn in results too. Indeed Norwich's injury list was so bad that they had one senior player on the bench, a young midfielder at left back, a midfielder up front etc and in normal circumstances a draw at home to Coventry would be a major frustration. Watfords manager said that he was purposely playing a specific and more pragmatic way I think at the time when he didnt really have an out and out striker so it affects even the bigger squads and is widespread across the league. However I sense that judging our side when everyone is fit or indeed for any Championship side may be a scenario that doesnt unfold this season.