BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Barnsley. Sat 28 Nov 3pm

8 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd gave Trybull another game in that defensive role, I'm not sure that's Johnson's best position.

I agree.

I think if he plays the same team on saturday, but replaces Trybull with Johnson, we'll be less effective

I'm pretty sure Johnson will be straight back in but, although earlier in the season I was pushing for him to have a run of games, I think he has had a few (relatively!) ineffective performances. 

Good to have strength in that position, tho....

Really good results for us tonight!

In terms of Barnsley thoughts, Charlie Chaplin always plays well against us, so someone may have the job of watching him, plus they will sit back more than QPR and expect us to unpick them, something we've found difficult at home, except for Wycombe. 

Will therefore be a more difficult game, and we may need to be as patient as Tony, who likes us to be cautious in the 1st 45 (60?!) at home. 

Elliott and Dolan as subs is mouthwatering, tho I do think Dolan is now relatively easy to contain for a decent defender & manager. He's still having an impressive 1st season...

2 or 3 - 1

Edited by garnersfags

53 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

this will not be an easy game,barnsley overpowered us twice last season,we were lucky to win at home and got completely marmalised at their place,however im`e confident we can withstand their no nonsense aproach and get 3 points,just hope we don`t put a stinker in because we`ve got a sniff of the top six again?

Not sure you can really compare the Barnsley of last season to this especially when Ismael has only been in charge for like 6 games, 4 of which they've won.

Very tough test this, they'll be unpredictable as the manager is still tinkering and experimenting. 

It'll make a nice change for Mowbray to even be able to pick an unchanged side should he want to as injuries have had their say far too much lately.

I think we're at the point now where we probably have 7/8 must start players (increasing when Dack and Travis are back). After that there's not many players that will attract moans and groans if picked. Bennett and Evans obviously out of the equation at this moment in time, Gallagher perhaps not the most popular pick but even he redeemed himself last night. I don't think he'd consider Bell unless of course Douglas picked up an injury between now and Sunday, fingers crossed he doesn't as he played well and looked a bit sharper last time out.

I'm calling a 2-0 win. Armstrong right on the stroke of half time,  followed by an open game with some squeaky bum moments, Dolan off the bench to notch a second late on.

Edited by Ossydave

1 hour ago, garnersfags said:

Elliott and Dolan as subs is mouthwatering, tho I do think Dolan is now relatively easy to contain for a decent defender & manager. He's still having an impressive 1st season...

2 or 3 - 1

I'd start Elliot ahead of Gallagher. 

He didn't look easy to contain last night and for a few games this season...and these had hik since he was a kid.  I said earlier in the season he needed to be taken out, put back in and managed properly.   Such a strain on his body and you can see he hasn't grown properly yet.  Mowbray is right to keep him back a bit.

• Like 2

Confidence is high, and we are getting healthier ever so slightly. The Holtby and Rothwell at the 8’s is just quality. 

Barnsley battered us at Oakwell last year, so expect a decent, if not a bit stodgy side to show up. 

If we score early, we could run it up on them though as everyone is wanting a piece of the action. Bench with 5 subs really suits us.

Leave Trybull in, he is much more comfortable with Holtby in there with him. Much better 6 than an 8. 

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 2

Whilst you don't want to throw caution to the wind i see no reason to be over cautious either. I reckon they'll try and stamp us out in midfield after seeing that the other night. So it could be a day for wingers, er sorry... wide men.

Going off past experience though

Rovers  1    Barnsley  1

Barnsley fans say their team looked "leggy" against Brentford so I would expect them to ask us to try and break them down. So for me, our pace won`t be the major factor in beating them. We need the likes of Elliot, Dolan, Holtby and Rothwell on the ball to do something out of the ordinary so we can get chances in the box. Hurling it into to a packed penalty area for Gally or Ben to try and get on the end and knock it in or down for Arma won`t do it for me. We need players who can do the unexpected in their box or on the edge of the box.  This is why I think we have struggled in the past when teams park the bus. Now in those four players, I think we have the skill to open up teams with a cute pass or dribble.

If I am wrong and they come and have a go, then that is their problem.

Quotes from Barnsley fans;

"It was tactical to sit back and make our half congested to stop Brentford playing...."

Blackburn are a better team than others think and are top scorers, I think. It will be difficult to get a win."

• Like 4

Just now, PerthBlues said:

We need players who can do the unexpected in their box or on the edge of the box.  This is why I think we have struggled in the past when teams park the bus. Now in those four players, I think we have the skill to open up teams with a cute pass or dribble.

I think the first goal the other night highlighted our strengths - we are superb on the counter-attack when there are wide open spaces for our quick forwards to run into. We aren't very good when teams sit deep and deny space in behind. 

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

I think the first goal the other night highlighted our strengths - we are superb on the counter-attack when there are wide open spaces for our quick forwards to run into. We aren't very good when teams sit deep and deny space in behind. 

That's when you need somebody who can get around the side of the opposition. The way we play if we do bring a winger on they're usually on their weaker side so they're coming inside all the time.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That's when you need somebody who can get around the side of the opposition. The way we play if we do bring a winger on they're usually on their weaker side so they're coming inside all the time.

Douglas and Nyambe hopefully. I think JRC is a bit better at doing that than Nyambe, so that's why he occasionally gets the nod. If Nyambe was good in the final 3rd, he would be playing in the PL, easily. Unfortunately he isn't and it's becoming less and less likely he ever will be, unfortunately. Has he assisted many goals even? 

Ryan Ny. needs to take the full back on more. He has the pace and so long as someone drops in behind to cover him, the pressure is always on the opposition fullback to win it rather than him lose the ball. He frustrated a bit against Preston by looking as though he was going to skin the full back, then he stopped and played a ball back or sideways. I like him, but in my opinion he needs to add this to his game so we are mixing up the angles the crosses are going into the box and also drawing their defenders out to support the opposition full back when they are beaten.

• Like 2

We are playing feckin Barnsley at Ewood, not Barcelona!

If we honestly think Rovers are going to be in the mix for promotion, result of this game should be a foregone conclusion.

God help some on here should we get promotion - all next season's 38 matches would be written off before the hangover had lifted!

• Like 1

Just now, Mercer said:

If we honestly think Rovers are going to be in the mix for promotion, result of this game should be a foregone conclusion.

God help some on here should we get promotion - all next season's 38 matches would be written off before the hangover had lifted!

You confuse me Mercer you constantly tell us how the club is rotten from the top all the way down and how we are going nowhere and with this management we will never get promotion or come anywhere near it.

Then every match preview we are going to roll clubs over and a win is a licence to print money 

• Like 2

Just now, pedrob2014 said:

You confuse me Mercer you constantly tell us how the club is rotten from the top all the way down and how we are going nowhere and with this management we will never get promotion or come anywhere near it.  Rotten is your word and not mine so if you are going to quote me then do so correctly!  What I have said is that, IMO, the management structure has been dumbed down and we do no longer have the quality personnel to move the club forward as it needs to. 

Then every match preview we are going to roll clubs over and a win is a licence to print money.  Again, inaccurate.  If you have nothing better to do then revisit my posts and I would suggest you will find nothing of the kind EVERY match.  I thought we would 'roll over' Preston and it was a licence to print money and we did and I did make money (£100+).

31 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I don't think playing at Ewood is much of an advantage these days.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We aren't Barcelona either, we're a mid-table team in the Championship, a point or two better off than Barnsley. It's not 1995 anymore. 

I get what you're saying, but if we've got serious promotion aspirations, we need to be beating Barnsley at home.

• Like 1

Barnsley will eternally be a team that virtually every side will earmark as a home game they should be winning. Ditto Rotherham, Luton and a host of others. This will be despite any form that suggests otherwise. We’ve had some very entertaining battles with the Tykes over the years...5-1 Tom Cairney inspired thrashings, Martin Dahlin scoring, 5-1 disasters (Per Frandsen anyone?) and of course last season’s 3-2 victory where I walked off Ewood as pissed off as I can remember after a victory. I think I had to convince myself that we’d actually won! 

As for Saturday I predict a tight game which will not reflect Tuesday night in any way at all. Barnsley will have done their homework and we will have to find a way to break them down. Do we have the players to do it? Yes. Will it happen? I’m not putting any money in it. On the other hand, if they have a man sent off then I’m going for 4-0. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Douglas and Nyambe hopefully. I think JRC is a bit better at doing that than Nyambe, so that's why he occasionally gets the nod. If Nyambe was good in the final 3rd, he would be playing in the PL, easily. Unfortunately he isn't and it's becoming less and less likely he ever will be, unfortunately. Has he assisted many goals even? 

I'm not really a big fan of this modern wing back shite. There aren't many full backs who can defend and attack equally well to a good standard, certainly not at our level. You don't seem to get the Graham LeSaux's and Alan Wright's these days. You end up with guys who are deeply average at both elements of the game and who have real problems when they're up against a pacey winger.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not really a big fan of this modern wing back shite. There aren't many full backs who can defend and attack equally well to a good standard, certainly not at our level. You don't seem to get the Graham LeSaux's and Alan Wright's these days. You end up with guys who are deeply average at both elements of the game and who have real problems when they're up against a pacey winger.

A lot is expected of them alright. Douglas is a classy operator though, not the quickest or strongest, but has it upstairs. Obviously Nyambe is a far better athlete, but he's certainly never going to be like Douglas on the ball, unfortunately. He would be at Everton or Spurs If he was though I suppose!