BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

What's the highest level of football you have played?

We are all experts right? 

Wether you've actually kicked a ball in your life or gone on to do well in the game of football at a playing level. It's all about opinions of course and even if you've never kicked the bag of fresh air around a football pitch we can all learn about who has been any good and who has been rubbish. 

As for myself  bloody useless. My only experience is playing football competitively was for my junior school in 1975 and then again for Boars Head juniors (rossendale) in a local youth league. I didn't last long as in one game I was threatened to have my head kicked in after the game. Turned out that that player later in the future was jailed for manslaughter! 

That's when I turned my attention to cricket which I enjoyed playing right up until the age of 47. ( North Manchester league followed by the Ribblesdale league). 

Now, some of my closest friends went the opposite way and played to a good standard ie: Northwest Counties League and Conference Level back in the 80s and 90s. A few names spring to mind but I'll concentrate on my longest and oldest mate who I thought should have made the grade but sadly it never happened. 

His name is Andy Grimshaw and what a player he was. Centre midfield. Played for Man Utd reserves, Rovers reserves v Huddersfield, Bury reserves. Also played for Colne Dynamos under Chalky White and played at the FA trophy final for Witton Albion v Colchester at Wembley. Knows bugger all else apart from football and working his arse off to pay the bills. He taught me a lot about the game of football. So his opinions to me, make a lot of sense regarding the game. 

Just wondering how some bms form an opinion of a player, a professional that is. Have you played the game? 

How did you gain your knowledge about our greatest sport? 

Im off now, this Swedish beer is strong stuff! 

dad was a pro footballer(albeit a short career),he always had me playing from an early age,schools(i played against david unsworth,he was actually pretty ****,just bigger than everyone else,how me made it as a pro is a miracle),local u14`s and u15`s,i was`nt a bad player,two footed and a nippy wide player as well as a full back,i was just completely unmotivated,especially when i left school and  beer,betting and chasing girls were the main objectives!!!!!,played pub football as well which was`nt the wisest choice,you spent most of the match hoping the ball and local pyscho would`nt come near you

when we were little dad used to take me and my sisters to matches round lancashire,if it was`nt rovers,it would be chorley or north end sometimes,i should be eternally grateful to him really because he was born in bolton and if it was`nt for a leaking radiator in his vauxhall viva id`e have ended up a bolton fan,fortunately ewood was only a short drive from our house so thank the lord,imagine the misery of a lifetime supporting that lot ?

to sum it up,football was a big part of our growing up,i`ll watch a match whatever the standard and iv`e never understood anyone who does`nt like the game

Played to a pretty high standard to youth level.

Represented B&D Schoolboys and Lancashire and also played in the very first rovers centre of excellence under Jim Furnell...his son used to knock about this site...

Was in the B&D team at Anfield in the famous early Ryan Giggs (Wilson) game that you always see in documentaries...that was the Granada Schools Cup Final about 88... My left foot is still a wand....

I now coach representative football. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead

Sort of fell out of love with football for a bit in my late teens (I had to get up to play at 9am on a Sunday and I loved a beer) having played regularly up to then. Quickly got my head straight and got back at it, I still play a lot (when we are allowed). In terms of people I’ve played with or against that have turned pro- played against Keith Barker (once of our academy, now playing cricket), Richard Chaplow, the ex Burnley academy product and I’ve played against Mark Patterson on the Soccer Dome. This was a few years back and he’s still unreal. Doesn’t even have to move and he runs the show.

More recently, I played against Brett Ormerod at Hyndburn Sports Centre. He only played a half and that was all he needed. You just can’t get near him!

I played or a really good local team full of good players although I was more of a water carrier, win the ball and give it to somebody who could play. I also played in the Blackburn Sunday League. I fractured my femur in 1982 and took up refereeing and amassed over 1000 games, 500 of which were at professional level over a 23 year period.

• Like 6

I played at a decent youth level, but never at an academy. I was playing for 3 youth teams at one point before I left to study abroad. Highest level I've played at in Germany is the 7th league (where money starts to play a role). The best team on paper that I ever played for was made up mostly of U19 bundesliga players. About half are currently playing in the 4th division (where you play but also have a part time job), but a couple are playing in the 2nd league now.  One of them scored 5 goals in a game once, but it was in the 8th league... Still gets double figures per season though.

The best team that I ever played for had a great young manager who got us promoted from the 8th to the 6th league, and almost the 5th. Lots of tactics and video analysis, but you almost felt like you were a cog in a machine. Completely different to the environment I grew up in. I left before the last promotion as I was getting older and was no where near good enough to have a starting position in this league!

Great times and memories. 

Edit: Personal highlights would be winning a play off final in front of 800 fans and playing against Hannover's version of Jamie Vardy, Hendrik Weydandt. Although I didnt know that he would go on to play for Hannover at the time 

Edited by Hannoverover

I've never played at a high level, but my step brother was the best in the area and a youth player for Hartlepool, though didn't make the cut/got bored of playing and didn't play again for years after. However, no word of a lie, he used to play upfront with none other than Arma (for a team called Newcastle City Juniors) for a few years. You could already see then he was something special as he was playing in the first team of the best club in the area despite being a year younger than everyone else (this was when they were about 9 or 10). Proper weird seeing someone you used to watch on a cold Sunday turn out for Rovers now (quite aware this sounds like total bs, but it's absolutely true haha)

I played for the local representative teams as a lad. When I started work at 16 I was playing for the works 2nd team for a while. This was a company that employed 3000 people at the time ! After a year I was playing for the first team in Div 1 of the old Manchester Industrial league. That was a high standard, most teams had a few ex pro's in their teams. The standards of the facilities were high also, Brazil used one of the grounds ( Manchester Ship Canal ? ) as their training ground in 1966. That toughened me up no end, I could go toe to toe with anyone irrespective of their size.  I'd played in some sort of testimonial at Bacup Borough's ground at the end of one season  and had a good game. After that game one of the staff there asked me about coming for a trial at the start of the next season. I was all ready to go there when I broke my leg playing for the works team in a pre-season friendly that turned out not to be so friendly. I got going again but broke the same leg in the same place in another bloody friendly at the end of the same season.

After that I only played a few more games out on the grass, I wasn't the same player although I still looked the part in 5 a sides in the gym.

It's all what might have been. The dream was over at 18.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, StubbsUK said:

I played in the same team as Gareth Ainsworth, does that count?

Yes it counts.  Played with Gareth for Rovers A & B teams.  Hes a year above me.  Did work experience for a month at rovers and Gareth was my mentor.  Basically showed me how to mop the changing rooms and pick litter up in the terraces.?

• Like 2

I played briefly in the same Blackburn & Darwen schoolboys team as Mark Patterson, and also played alongside him at Park Lane Rangers and in men's football at Darwen Olympic when we were both 15. 

I was a decent enough player I suppose, good in the air and at holding the ball up and bringing others into play, which was rare in schoolboy footballers then, they all wanted to try and turn when the ball was played into them. I also led the line well. Unfortunately I did my ACL when I was 16 and was never the same player again. My pace had gone. I was still able to play lots of games at amateur level though, and scored my fair share of goals. If I had a fast lad next to me they were guaranteed chances in every game.

I moved to Scotland when I was 30 and got a new lease of life up here playing in a veterans league which contained a few ex pros, including a couple in our team, and I held my own. 

What I wouldn't give to be fit enough to still play now!  

• Like 2

One game for Grindleford in Derbyshire in about 1975. I was living in the village and answered a call for help in the pub the night before. I scored - I'd like to claim it was a 30 yard screamer but it was more a 1 yard toe poke. A combination of wanting to watch Rovers and being with the lady who is now my wife meant I never turned out again. In truth a very average player.

In contrast my Dad was an excellent player, probably good enough to have been a pro. I always tell people that he turned down Liverpool twice, which is true but nothing like the decision it would be now. He was a farmer and almost certainly able to earn more than being an apprentice at Liverpool. And it was during the war and he would have been called up when he got to 18.

Played at highest Norwegian 3 div (4 th tier, not high level then, only 2 highest divisions are national, this was regional)

Biggest moment was playing Viking in a cup game. Roy Hodgson was manager and Hangeland played. Big moment for our little village of 3000 people to have them visit.

A fun rule in that cup is that the lower division club get one penalty for each division in difference before the start of the game. We scored 4 of 5 and ended up losing 5-4 in the end.

• Like 7

I played briefly in the West Lancs League before going off to University in the 80s, where I was lucky enough to earn my colours as 1st team goalkeeper for a couple of years. I'd been too scrawny in my teens to have anyone take me seriously as a goalie, and it was only in my early 20s that I put on sufficient timber to carry off the role with any aplomb. Like Arbitro (Italiano for ref like!) I took up the whistle around then, and more seriously after breaking my leg whilst doing my Masters in Durham. Stopped refereeing after 25 years, in my early 50s and likewise having done hundreds if not thousands of games over the years. Did get to referee at Ewood in a few competitions (not pro though), and at Old Trafford (in a tournament) - running out onto Ewood through the tunnel and onto the pitch was very much a treasured highlight, that helped mend some of those less salubrious memories of Sunday mornings in Pleasington, which were mostly like this...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aqualung said:

We are all experts right? 

Wether you've actually kicked a ball in your life or gone on to do well in the game of football at a playing level. It's all about opinions of course and even if you've never kicked the bag of fresh air around a football pitch we can all learn about who has been any good and who has been rubbish. 

As for myself  bloody useless. My only experience is playing football competitively was for my junior school in 1975 and then again for Boars Head juniors (rossendale) in a local youth league. I didn't last long as in one game I was threatened to have my head kicked in after the game. Turned out that that player later in the future was jailed for manslaughter! 

That's when I turned my attention to cricket which I enjoyed playing right up until the age of 47. ( North Manchester league followed by the Ribblesdale league). 

Now, some of my closest friends went the opposite way and played to a good standard ie: Northwest Counties League and Conference Level back in the 80s and 90s. A few names spring to mind but I'll concentrate on my longest and oldest mate who I thought should have made the grade but sadly it never happened. 

His name is Andy Grimshaw and what a player he was. Centre midfield. Played for Man Utd reserves, Rovers reserves v Huddersfield, Bury reserves. Also played for Colne Dynamos under Chalky White and played at the FA trophy final for Witton Albion v Colchester at Wembley. Knows bugger all else apart from football and working his arse off to pay the bills. He taught me a lot about the game of football. So his opinions to me, make a lot of sense regarding the game. 

Just wondering how some bms form an opinion of a player, a professional that is. Have you played the game? 

How did you gain your knowledge about our greatest sport? 

Im off now, this Swedish beer is strong stuff! 

Played a few times in same school team as Andy Grimshaw and watched him play later for Rossendale United - now consigned to the dustbin of history. That school team also had Jimmy McCluskie who played league football for Rochdale. Safe to say I wasn't as good as either of them! I was more of a Stuart Pearce style fullback - in tackling terms anyway!!!

3 minutes ago, DraytonRover said:

Played a few times in same school team as Andy Grimshaw and watched him play later for Rossendale United - now consigned to the dustbin of history. That school team also had Jimmy McCluskie who played league football for Rochdale. Safe to say I wasn't as good as either of them! I was more of a Stuart Pearce style fullback - in tackling terms anyway!!!

Small world! 

Both myself, Andy Grimshaw and Andy Hornsby (left back) were all brought up on Queens way which backed onto Rossendale Uniteds ground. Crying shame what happened to that club. 

Other notable players during the era grimmy were.. Jocky Wiley, Andy Wharton (ex Burnley FC), Jimmy Clarke, Paul Beck, Wayne Haworth, Russell Proctor, Neil Yates. 

All top notch semi pros in my book. 

I know Jimmy Mac aswell. Had a go at managing IIRC. 

Just now, Aqualung said:

Small world! 

Both myself, Andy Grimshaw and Andy Hornsby (left back) were all brought up on Queens way which backed onto Rossendale Uniteds ground. Crying shame what happened to that club. 

Other notable players during the era grimmy were.. Jocky Wiley, Andy Wharton (ex Burnley FC), Jimmy Clarke, Paul Beck, Wayne Haworth, Russell Proctor, Neil Yates. 

All top notch semi pros in my book. 

I know Jimmy Mac aswell. Had a go at managing IIRC. 

Happy memories on Dark Lane - my first football matches in early 70's when they also had a great team. Shrewsbury Town FA Cup tie a particular memory. The Wylie / Clarke / Beck forward line was unbelievable - you used to come off disappointed if Rossy had only won by 2 or 3 goals!! I knew Chris and Andy Hornsby fairly well.

Just now, DraytonRover said:

Happy memories on Dark Lane - my first football matches in early 70's when they also had a great team. Shrewsbury Town FA Cup tie a particular memory. The Wylie / Clarke / Beck forward line was unbelievable - you used to come off disappointed if Rossy had only won by 2 or 3 goals!! I knew Chris and Andy Hornsby fairly well.

My first experience of football late 60s early 70s at Dark Lane. 

I've pm'd you. 

Sad story about Chris Hornby.