BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tattoos

This is going to set off a fire storm.

The European Commission is tackling the problem of lead shot used by hunters poisoning the environment and killing millions of wildlife ingesting the residue and discarded pellets by use of chemical regulation.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/26/eu-to-ban-use-of-lead-shot-by-wetland-bird-hunters

Tattoo parlours are regulated but there is no regulation on what is used in the ink.

No ink manufacturer produces tattoo ink because there is no way of making ink safe enough to pass product liability.

Most ink is lead based so by definition tattoos are carcinogenic and indeed lymphatic cancers are increasing and lead counts in tattooed patients are beginning to cause concern.

It is possible that the anti-lead legislation proposed in gun shot will be extended to tattoo inks.

Edited by philipl

Me too. Used to be that it was considered really common to have tatoos. You avoided lads with tatoos as they were likely to be from a bad background. Now its all kinds of people who have them and don't get me started on the way footballers look. Old fashioned? Snobbish? Yes, on this issue I'm both

• Like 4

Everyone is entitled to their opinions I suppose.

Never seen anything wrong with tattoos. I have practically everything tattooed except my hands, face, left leg and back. Although I should have started on my back piece this year but lockdown has halted progress. Skin is pretty damn boring and the ability to spice it up is a good thing. Such is the diversity of life. In fact me and the artist were talking about how with any luck in the future they bring about a pain free way. Maybe the ability to change tattoo after a time would be advanced too.

I don't have any nor do I have any intention to, but I don't generally mind them; I just think unless you're like how@Dreams of 1995 sounded above and go all in they've really lost a lot of meaning. It seems like every man and his dog these days has a completely anonymous sleeve tattoo, which I don't quite get, but some of the personalised stuff which clearly has meaning to the wearer can look pretty good.

I think a lot of it is a generational thing: back in the day obviously the only people with tattoos were ex army or prison, or something outside a 'normal' life. Nowadays it's as much a fashion as anything.

13 minutes ago, GHR said:

I don't have any nor do I have any intention to, but I don't generally mind them; I just think unless you're like how@Dreams of 1995 sounded above and go all in they've really lost a lot of meaning. It seems like every man and his dog these days has a completely anonymous sleeve tattoo, which I don't quite get, but some of the personalised stuff which clearly has meaning to the wearer can look pretty good.

I think a lot of it is a generational thing: back in the day obviously the only people with tattoos were ex army or prison, or something outside a 'normal' life. Nowadays it's as much a fashion as anything.

Nobody ever sees my tattoos unless I want them to. I think on the face, neck and hands you have almost painted a picture of yourself in the eyes of some small minded people. I don't personally have any issue with them and quite frankly can't wait until society moves on and sees personalising your appearance as a good thing and not a bad. Who wants to be uniform and looking the same anymore?

In my job I do need to remain professional though so a long sleeve shirt sees to it nobody at work knows about them. It is a shame you have to do that really because I have spent a lot of money over the years and my friends work is brilliant. I'd like to show it off more in my everyday life.

I think it is one of these cases where if you care what somebody else has on their skin then really you need to get over yourself. It isn't any of your concern. As long as it isn't offensive of course. You hear people say how horrible it makes people look but personally I think wearing Velcro shoes and out-of-the-catalogue rain macs are ugly but I won't judge them for it. 

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead

More of my mates are covered than aren’t, indeed a long time friend is a tattoo artist and has a studio. One of my closest mates is covered right up to his neck and on his hands, but he works off shore, so it doesn’t interfere with his work at all! In fact, he earns far more than I do! 
I’ve absolutely no issue with people having tattoos, to be honest. I take the approach I take with most of life- ‘if they’re happy and not hurting anyone, does it really matter what they do?’

• Like 2

I'm not keen myself. All of the guys I know in my age group that have had them done fervently wish they hadn't. It's a style thing and that's ok but just look at what some people were wearing back in the 1970's and how their houses were decorated ! Things can go out of style pretty dramatically.

They could be the dado rail of body decoration.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

43 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Nobody ever sees my tattoos unless I want them to. I think on the face, neck and hands you have almost painted a picture of yourself in the eyes of some small minded people. I don't personally have any issue with them and quite frankly can't wait until society moves on and sees personalising your appearance as a good thing and not a bad. Who wants to be uniform and looking the same anymore?

In my job I do need to remain professional though so a long sleeve shirt sees to it nobody at work knows about them. It is a shame you have to do that really because I have spent a lot of money over the years and my friends work is brilliant. I'd like to show it off more in my everyday life.

I think it is one of these cases where if you care what somebody else has on their skin then really you need to get over yourself. It isn't any of your concern. As long as it isn't offensive of course. You hear people say how horrible it makes people look but personally I think wearing Velcro shoes and out-of-the-catalogue rain macs are ugly but I won't judge them for it. 

I don't know if any of that was addressed directly at me, but re: your last paragraph, I always go down the line of "I wouldn't want to live like them, they wouldn't want to live like me". I couldn't care less how someone appears or what they do so long as it isn't compulsory!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

More of my mates are covered than aren’t, indeed a long time friend is a tattoo artist and has a studio. One of my closest mates is covered right up to his neck and on his hands, but he works off shore, so it doesn’t interfere with his work at all! In fact, he earns far more than I do! 
I’ve absolutely no issue with people having tattoos, to be honest. I take the approach I take with most of life- ‘if they’re happy and not hurting anyone, does it really matter what they do?’

I found myself liking both your and Gumboots posts so I suppose whilst I would never interfere with natures creation myself I don't care is someone else does.

Also my Grandad had one, he had been a deep sea sailor though.

I don't have any tattoos, although I am actually thinking of getting a couple of mid-life crisis ones done. The Jam on one calf and The Beatles on the other. I did think of having that famous Welsh railway station tattoed on my knob but the guy said he could only fit Rhyl on.

I agree with what Dreams says above about people making snap judgements of heavily tattoed people. My PA is absolutely covered in them but I think it looks great and she shows her 'full sleeve' very proudly on our staff photograph.

Edited by oldjamfan1
  • Like 3

I've watched that TV programme were expert tattooists put right cock ups or other tattooists really inferior work. I must admit I'm really impressed by their designs and how they incorporate the cock ups into a nice design. I still wouldn't want one though.  

If you want to become really rich in the future come up with a successful  method of removing tattoos, you'll make a fortune.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, philipl said:

This is going to set off a fire storm.

The European Commission is tackling the problem of lead shot used by hunters poisoning the environment and killing millions of wildlife ingesting the residue and discarded pellets by use of chemical regulation.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/nov/26/eu-to-ban-use-of-lead-shot-by-wetland-bird-hunters

Tattoo parlours are regulated but there is no regulation on what is used in the ink.

No ink manufacturer produces tattoo ink because there is no way of making ink safe enough to pass product liability.

Most ink is lead based so by definition tattoos are carcinogenic and indeed lymphatic cancers are increasing and lead counts in tattooed patients are beginning to cause concern.

It is possible that the anti-lead legislation proposed in gun shot will be extended to tattoo inks.

I'd be happier if shooting wildfowl  or indeed any animal for fun in the name of sport was banned.

• Like 4

Years ago I used to see a young lad from Manchester on the train coming over to Blackburn. He was a real Manc and all his family were City fans. However he was a real Rovers fanatic and he had the club crest tattooed on his shoulder. I hadn't seen him on the train for a while and I thought " maybe he's got a car ".  Then my son bumped into him and now he was a City fan. This was the season we got back in the Prem with Souness and I'm sure City had been relegated ! 

5 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've watched that TV programme were expert tattooists put right cock ups or other tattooists really inferior work. I must admit I'm really impressed by their designs and how they incorporate the cock ups into a nice design. I still wouldn't want one though.  

If you want to become really rich in the future come up with a successful  method of removing tattoos, you'll make a fortune.

There is laser removal. When we were younger my mates used to practice on us so when I eventually went to get my ‘body suit’ designed we had to incorporate a couple of cover ups from them. Most were easy but one had to be removed prior to being tattooed as a cover up was almost impossible. 

It was excruciating pain. Done in a handful of 5 minute sittings. Genuinely can’t relate the pain to anything I’ve felt before. Them 5 mins feel like 50 and I had a feeling of genuine exhaustion after. 

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

There is laser removal. When we were younger my mates used to practice on us so when I eventually went to get my ‘body suit’ designed we had to incorporate a couple of cover ups from them. Most were easy but one had to be removed prior to being tattooed as a cover up was almost impossible. 

It was excruciating pain. Done in a handful of 5 minute sittings. Genuinely can’t relate the pain to anything I’ve felt before. Them 5 mins feel like 50 and I had a feeling of genuine exhaustion after. 

" A successful method " and painless then.

9 hours ago, oldjamfan1 said:

I don't have any tattoos, although I am actually thinking of getting a couple of mid-life crisis ones done. The Jam on one calf and The Beatles on the other. I did think of having that famous Welsh railway station tattoed on my knob but the guy said he could only fit Rhyl on.

I agree with what Dreams says above about people making snap judgements of heavily tattoed people. My PA is absolutely covered in them but I think it looks great and she shows her 'full sleeve' very proudly on our staff photograph.

I don't make judgements about people who are heavily tattooed other than they look horrible and will probably live to regret it.

If people want to make idiots of themselves why should I care?

On the matter of investment and tattoo removal I would love to invest in a big chain that dominated the market. Money for jam.

However there seems to be dozens of little concerns springing up and doubts about their medical standing.

However if there is a better definition of idiocy I'd love to know it----pay a fortune and endure unnecessary pain to get disfigured and later pay an even bigger fortune and endure much more pain to get them removed! :blink:

Edited by 47er
  • Like 3

• Backroom
1 hour ago, 47er said:

I don't make judgements about people who are heavily tattooed.....

1 hour ago, 47er said:

...look horrible.....probably live to regret it.....make idiots of themselves....definition of idiocy.......disfigured...:blink:

I'd hate to see what happens when you do start making judgements.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, 47er said:

I don't make judgements about people who are heavily tattooed other than they look horrible and will probably live to regret it.

On the matter of investment and tattoo removal I would love to invest in a big chain that dominated the market. Money for jam.

However there seems to be dozens of little concerns springing up and doubts about their medical standing.

However if there is a better definition of idiocy I'd love to know it----pay a fortune and endure unnecessary pain to get disfigured and later pay an even bigger fortune and endure much more pain to get them removed! :blink:

If you want to see a better definition of idiocy come back and read your post tomorrow morning

13 hours ago, 47er said:

Says it all. 

I don't mind discrete ones which are normally hidden by clothing but the full body tattoos covering arms, neck etc are appalling IMO. I don't understand why anyone would do it - they're not attractive and look worse as people get older. I were an employer and someone turned up for an interview covered in tattoos they'd be crossed off the list straightaway. 

Each to their own I suppose.

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

I were an employer and someone turned up for an interview covered in tattoos they'd be crossed off the list straightaway. 

Lucky for everyone that you aren't then, whereas the actual employer in this thread has stated it is neither here nor there to their ability to do a job

They often say attitudes define where you stay in life

• Like 1