BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Millwall. Wed 2nd Dec 7.45pm

6 minutes ago, dallydally said:

Must win tomorrow to stay in touch after tonight's results. Watched Rotherham v Brentford. What a whinger Toney is. Gobbing off all night to the ref and linesman. Need to take care of him at the weekend. COYB 

You need a few lads that are willing to give the ref a helping hand now and again. We've too many quiet lads who don't make a fuss.

• Like 4

The referees are so poor at this level you'd be a fool if you didn't try to take advantage of it.

It's certainly cost us plenty of times. Need to make it work in our favour too.

Preston are another lot who manipulate the officials with regularity.

1 hour ago, dallydally said:

Must win tomorrow to stay in touch after tonight's results. Watched Rotherham v Brentford. What a whinger Toney is. Gobbing off all night to the ref and linesman. Need to take care of him at the weekend. COYB 

When Toney scores. 

So does Arma. Well at least he does tomorrow night. 

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Yes, quite measured in their analysis. Tactically there may be a few flaws in their plan, such as snapping opposition legs (tends to lead to those sendings off they draw attention to) although I did like the idea of them knocking 4000 holes in our defence :)

A damp cold evening on Ewood Park. Got to be up for this, as a game that has 'barometer for season's intent' written all over it.

COYB. JFDI

Looking at the table after last night we need to win this game tonight. If we lose tonight and fail to win against Brentford on Saturday then the top 6 will be pulling away from us. I think tonight will show how much this group of players want to be up there this year. 

If we win tonight, Watford Swansea and Reading fail to win then we're right amongst it! 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, deanives said:

Looking at the table after last night we need to win this game tonight. If we lose tonight and fail to win against Brentford on Saturday then the top 6 will be pulling away from us. I think tonight will show how much this group of players want to be up there this year. 

If we win tonight, Watford Swansea and Reading fail to win then we're right amongst it! 

I think it's quite negative to be trying to break into the top 6, we should be aiming for the top 2 then we have the playoffs as a fall back if we fail to make it.

On that basis the manager should be trying to drum into the players that  sooner rather than later we need a run of six consecutive wins to get up to the two points per game mark.

He won't be of course. He'll be trying to eke it out and convince everyone that being in contention for a play off place by the end of next season is acceptable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think it's quite negative to be trying to break into the top 6, we should be aiming for the top 2 then we have the playoffs as a fall back if we fail to make it.

On that basis the manager should be trying to drum into the players that  sooner rather than later we need a run of six consecutive wins to get up to the two points per game mark.

He won't be of course. He'll be trying to eke it out and convince everyone that being in contention for a play off place by the end of next season is acceptable.

I agree ?

But first we should aim to break into top 6 before Christmas then be pushing on to the top, but.... history shows us that we're not consistent enough with mogga at the helm. Hopefully this year will be a change and when we're not playing well like last week we can grind out ugly results 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Right now it's essentially the same thing - there are 2 points separating the top 7.

• Like 2

Weve seen for 18 months that our pinnacle has been to get into a position whereby we can at least see ourselves as an outsider who could in theory with a run of wins (against logic of previous games) charge past a few times and sneak in overcoming a deficit without ever being a proper contender who do spend times in the top 6 places. Even this season we have been the same, win tonight and wed still be outside. It would boost confidence if we punched through and actually had the consistency to at least poke our head through and get into the top 6, even if for a while we got in, then fell out, then got back in etc. Until that happens it feels like de ja vu.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Right now it's essentially the same thing - there are 2 points separating the top 7.

Won't be the case by the end of the season though, general rule of thumb, you need roughly two points per game to guarantee automatic promotion.

Right now we're seven points behind that mark  so over the course of the season we'd be likely to need  to average two points per game plus five or six "bonus" points!

3 hours ago, JacknOry said:

They're next level scum are Millwall fans. Last time I went to the New Den a bloke two rows down from me stood up and screamed at the top of his lungs "you despicable f&cking c£nt I hope you die" at the linesman within 30 seconds of kick off when he had, quite rightly, given a throw in to Rovers. I was in the family stand. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Agree. I don't think any manager with true ambitions and expectations of promotion would target the top six or be happy to be in contention for it.

Anyone think that Warnock, Wilder, Dyche, Nuno Santo, Bilic were going round telling everyone the top 6 was the ambition? No - they wanted promotion and to do that you have to target the top and be consistently delivering to achieve that.

We could finish 3rd on 80 odd points - but lose in the play-offs and the material end result is the same as falling short of the top 6 again.

Unfortunately it has become engrained in our support that the top 6 is the Holy Grail, that getting there is some sort of long term aspiration that once achieved will automatically mean promotion or increased prospects of it in seasons to come. It doesn't. What has caused this mythological top 6 aspiration? Well partly the manager telling everyone that it is the aim to be in contention for it, and also because our glass ceiling as a football club over nearly 9 years now has been 8th or 9th in the Championship, meaning any progression above that into 5th or 6th will be hailed as some sort of major step forward.

Rival clubs are sitting up to take notice - you don't have the top goalscorer in the division and the best goal difference in the league by mistake or accident - we are a good side that over the first third of the season has been held back through inconsistency and injuries and an inability to dig deep against the other good sides. To be in the thick of mid-table mediocrity at this point is difficult to accept given some of the performances we have had. To be neck and neck with dross like Luton and Preston for me is unacceptable.

Mowbray gets credit for assembling that side but that doesn't entitle him to a free pass for the next few years. He has to now transfer that quality into promotion material and face the consequences if he can't.

I am worried that we are facing another 'near' season where we threaten all season but never take that step of breaking into the pack and staying there. I hope I am wrong as we need promotion but I worry the bar is already set too low through our patchy start and being told that challenging for the top 6 this season or next is the aim. I hope we don't look back on this season in 3-4 years as the opportunity missed like we did with Bowyer's famous 2nd season.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

They're next level scum are Millwall fans. Last time I went to the New Den a bloke two rows down from me stood up and screamed at the top of his lungs "you despicable f&cking c£nt I hope you die" at the linesman within 30 seconds of kick off when he had, quite rightly, given a throw in to Rovers. I was in the family stand. 

You've only got to read some of the general posts on their site. They make " Sun " readers sound like left wing intellectuals .

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Anyone think that Warnock, Wilder, Dyche, Nuno Santo, Bilic were going round telling everyone the top 6 was the ambition? No - they wanted promotion and to do that you have to target the top and be consistently delivering to achieve that.

A good manager shouldn't be mouthing off about the Top 6 etc...not in public anyway. That's my issue with Mowbray. If you promise the same stuff every year and fail to achieve it then people lose faith in you.

12 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

A good manager shouldn't be mouthing off about the Top 6 etc...not in public anyway. That's my issue with Mowbray. If you promise the same stuff every year and fail to achieve it then people lose faith in you.

Instead, if he came out with "We'll just try our best and see where we end up" I'm sure that the reaction would be calm and measured.

Just now, S8 & Blue said:

Instead, if he came out with "We'll just try our best and see where we end up" I'm sure that the reaction would be calm and measured.

His narrative often starts top 6 then changes to that very one as the season rolls on so it'll be interesting how long he talks it up this time.