BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Millwall. Wed 2nd Dec 7.45pm

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

' The manager again fucked us tonight with his negative defensive bollox! '

I'm confused. Haven't they played like that for, oh, about 20 years?

• Like 2

Huge win which I am delighted with. Armstrong worth his weight in gold as I doubt anyone else would have popped up and put that away.

In similar fashion to Barnsley I am relieved and very happy to have come through with all 3 points despite arguably not deserving them and at times not looking like getting them. But having match winners in the side is very useful.

Millwall perhaps surprised me with their ambition especially in the first half. I suspect they were trying to emulate the Barnsley approach. Second half they were more cagey but we never really looked like converting possession into chances and goals.

They are a tough side to beat so credit for that. Rowett fuming on the touchline is always a good indicator that you've done him over.

They'll whinge about the referee. I accept that just before their goal Lenihan got very lucky after it struck his arm and late on he was lucky again running around in the penalty area with his hand above his head. But they got away with 2-3 blatant bookable offences including the one which caused Brereton's serious injury so it evens out. I can't accept that the victory was enabled by the referee.

• Like 2

Just now, tonygreenbank said:

Having read your original post you made 14 negative statements against the team! It’s no wonder that you get some redress for that!

I totally agree with you that 3 points is “all that matters” but I’m not really sure you actually mean it. You like to find the negatives in most things Rovers!

I’m delighted that we won tonight in what was a highly competitive game and the team and manager deserve credit for that.

It would be nice to win any game convincingly as we have done this season at times but I am aware that there is a long season ahead of us and there will be performances which will be slightly below par rather than “poor, very poor”.

This time last season we beat Barnsley, Brentford and Stoke within a week so we certainly can’t stand on our laurels but I’m remaining confident about the current crop of players producing performances which will keep us towards the top of the league.

Not that I need to justify it but if I didnt enjoy wins no matter how they come about, ill stop following, and I certainly wouldnt have bought a season pass.

It wasnt a good performance, I think most concede that including the manager post match, didnt make me any less elated when Armstrongs shot went in and when the full time whistle went after I had watched from behind my hands for 5 minutes with an elevated heart rate.

Positives that I also touched on, Elliotts goal was superb and he was decent, Gallagher who I have criticised before I though was very useful, Lenihan who although deserved criticism at the start of the season I feel has not got the praise he deserved in recent weeks and was outstanding, Nyambe who we have to sign long term and Armstrong was a threat. So 5 positives and apparently 14 negatives all merely in the interest of discussion but all overshadowed by the result which seemingly doesnt mean as much as I think it does.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, DE. said:

Rowett's comments.

https://newsatden.co.uk/77907-millwall-boss-gary-rowett-reveals-two-blackburn-players-told-him-they-had-handled-the-ball-in-controversial-ewood-park-defeat/

"You only have to look at Armstrong, I think he’s scored more than our whole team put together" ?

Bloody good assessment

To be honest if we beat both Barnsley and Milwall 1-0 with 30% possession, I would take more satisfaction over them wins that the Wycombe, Derby, Coventry & PNE games put together.

Good sides at this level win ugly a lot of the time, something we need to do now. I'm not conviced we have it in us but lets see.

I said this on the opening page of the Barnsley thread, and have to say the lads proved me wrong this week, two real scraps of games that we have ground out and come away with 6 points.

Some might disagree but after the thumping wins, these wins prove to me more that we could actually be up at the top end challenging.

Key now is to try and grind out some wins away from home when we're under the cosh.

Delighted.

Edited by MarkBRFC
  • Like 5

That millwall forum highlights what a pathetic racist set of fans still follow them and judging by their tone they are a pretty thick set of morons!

Yes the penalty decisions went our way tonight abd as someone has already pointed out it evens up those errors away at Luton.

• Like 2

Their language is appalling. Swearing is permitted here but nobody speaks that crass on here. Then, yeah the obvious racial tones, wishing aids on the ref, snapping other players legs, and all that. Nobody calls them out on there - so they must all be like it. 

10 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

From LT: 

“Joe Rothwell has been complaining to me for two days that his hamstrings are screaming,” Mowbray said.

“We can’t afford to lose players like Joe Rothwell.

“Bradley Johnson has had a sore back, Rothwell sore hamstring and thighs, what do you do? Do you keep playing them and see your main players drop off one by one?

I will add:

JRC Wharton Williams Douglas

Bennett Travis Evans

Dack

Vale Butterworth

I struggle to understand the whingeing sometimes.

Yes if we were back to 3, 4 or 5 unavailabilities per game but you look at Norwich having a crisis and their results and compare with us running an average approaching double figures absence all season to date and the Barnsley and Millwall wins.

Desperate for good news about Ben but I fear there won't be any and we won't see him again until 21/22 season.

21 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

That millwall forum highlights what a pathetic racist set of fans still follow them and judging by their tone they are a pretty thick set of morons!

Yes the penalty decisions went our way tonight abd as someone has already pointed out it evens up those errors away at Luton.

TBH the penalty decision at the end evened up what should have been a 2nd yellow card for the tackle through the back of BB. Thought they deserved a draw overall - our season will be defined how we build on the "rub of the green" we have had in the last two matches. We need to ensure performances improve - as we can't keep relying on lady luck.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, philipl said:

I will add:

Bennett Travis Evans

Dack

Vale Butterworth

Yes if we were back to 3, 4 or 5 unavailabilities per game but you look at Norwich having a crisis and their results and compare with us running an average approaching double figures absence all season to date and the Barnsley and Millwall wins.

Desperate for good news about Ben but I fear there won't be any and we won't see him again until 21/22 season.

Jesus hopefully just by 2021! Looked like a 8-10 weeker to me, but it's difficult to tell. At least he walked off himself. 

9 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Not that I need to justify it but if I didnt enjoy wins no matter how they come about, ill stop following, and I certainly wouldnt have bought a season pass.

It wasnt a good performance, I think most concede that including the manager post match, didnt make me any less elated when Armstrongs shot went in and when the full time whistle went after I had watched from behind my hands for 5 minutes with an elevated heart rate.

Positives that I also touched on, Elliotts goal was superb and he was decent, Gallagher who I have criticised before I though was very useful, Lenihan who although deserved criticism at the start of the season I feel has not got the praise he deserved in recent weeks and was outstanding, Nyambe who we have to sign long term and Armstrong was a threat. So 5 positives and apparently 14 negatives all merely in the interest of discussion but all overshadowed by the result which seemingly doesnt mean as much as I think it does.

I'm with you pal. Mrs Shoelaces will tell you nobody wants Rovers to win more than I do. I'm always on cloud nine when we win and I'm sulking for a day or two when we lose. I think I've got worse as I've got older.

Having said that you can only be under par and be winning games for so long. Before too long it'll catch up with you. Remember our first season back down under Keanochio ? We were winning and miss firing, teams gave us too much respect so we got away with it for half a dozen games. Then the penny dropped for our opponents that we weren't actually that good and it was downhill from that point.

If we aren't playing well I don't see much point in trying to convince ourselves that we are. That's been two disjointed home performances on the bounce now. That's against very willing but limited opposition. Looking at both Barnsley and Millwall, how many of their players would you like to see in our first 11 ? We're still no nearer knowing what our best 11 is. Every game throws up more selection questions. We were all pleased to see us sign an solid centre half in Ayala, now people are saying lets get Wharton back in there. Lots of people wanted Johnson back in, now it's lets drop him and get Trybull back. Another quiet game from Holtby and he'll be for the chop.

We'll need to have it sorted for Saturday, Brentford have got a cutting edge, something that Barnsley and Millwall haven't got.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Their language is appalling. Swearing is permitted here but nobody speaks that crass on here. Then, yeah the obvious racial tones, wishing aids on the ref, snapping other players legs, and all that. Nobody calls them out on there - so they must all be like it. 

One of them called us "virus ridden, tier 3 wankers" ???

Bloody hell, I did not expect to hear that insult at the football.

Ironic really, given Milwall's real position in the leagues is about Tier 3. They are punching above their weight 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, philipl said:

I will add:

Bennett Travis Evans

Dack

Vale Butterworth

I dont doubt that we have had injuries to deal with but im not sure we can mourn the first team loss of Vale and Butterworth considering that both have only ever played one dead rubber first team cameo each! Not sure that Bennett and Evans are significant losses either. Yesterdays squad was fairly strong with Dack, Travis, Douglas and Williams the obvious and main absentees. You look around the league and unfortunately it is par for the course. Thankfully we are on a good run of results at the moment though and that is what matters.

With Brereton, Mowbray mentioned that it may be similar to Holtby and Travis so hopefully we will see him again well in advance of the season end, lets hope it is even less serious than those 2.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm with you pal. Mrs Shoelaces will tell you nobody wants Rovers to win more than I do. I'm always on cloud nine when we win and I'm sulking for a day or two when we lose. I think I've got worse as I've got older.

Having said that you can only be under par and be winning games for so long. Before too long it'll catch up with you. Remember I first season back down under Keanochio ? We were winning and miss firing, teams gave us too much respect so we got away with it for half a dozen games. Then the penny dropped for our opponents that we weren't actually that good and it was downhill from that point.

If we aren't playing well I don't see much point in trying to convince ourselves that we are. That's been two disjointed home performances on the bounce now. That's against very willing but limited opposition. Looking at both Barnsley and Millwall, how many of their players would you like to see in our first 11 ? We're still no nearer knowing what our best 11 is. Every game throws up more selection questions. We were all pleased to see us sign an solid centre half in Ayala, now people are saying lets get Wharton back in there. Lots of people wanted Johnson back in, now it's lets drop him and get Trybull back. Another quiet game from Holtby and he'll be for the chop.

We'll need to have it sorted for Saturday, Brentford have got a cutting edge, something that Barnsley and Millwall haven't got.

I also do think it will be difficult to maintain a consistent and high level of performance amidst such an intense schedule so at least we know we can win games without playing well.