BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

32 minutes ago, philipl said:

https://www.pinkun.com/sport/norwich-city/norwich-city-injury-list-in-full-6569038

This is also a handy reference for next Saturday.

Norwich are squealing but 13 is only the same number of injuries as we have faced in a couple of games so far this season. Undoubtedly Trybull would have been an ever present at Norwich in the last four games had he still been there.

FFP has been extended for 12 months so with several players looking capable of generating bigger transfer fees than they were only three months ago, FFP can be gamed more freely than it could be last summer.

Depends if Trybull was name in squad list. 

Who knows if Trybull would have been ever present there. I know he is decent player here  

26 minutes ago, philipl said:

Being realistic, he is not going to get much game time ahead of a fit Holtby, Johnson, Rothwell and Travis and will be duking it out with Buckley, Davenport and Evans (plus possibly JRC and whoever are the upfront selection casualties between Dack, Gallagher, Brereton, Elliott, Armstrong, Dolan and Chapman if we are playing a more progressive player in midfield) if we can ever get everybody fit.

Personally don't understand how Trybull starts ahead of Davenport, every time I see him play I wonder how he never starts.

If Wharton is out for the season. Or at the very least an extended period it might actually be a very good shout looking at a 6 month loan for Cedric Kipre. Not seen a minute of football at West Brom, only been on the bench once and Bilic has mentioned a loan might be the best solution for him. Additional temporary cover will be vital there come January 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Personally don't understand how Trybull starts ahead of Davenport, every time I see him play I wonder how he never starts.

Davenport is a strange one. Like you say, he looks a talented lad, certainly a lot more impactful than someone like Evans. Maybe it's just injuries holding him back...

• Like 1

I wouldnt think that there is much chance of our loanees being recalled. Douglas and Trybull were out of the picture at their respective clubs, I wouldnt think that Norwich would fear us for a top 2 place and he wasnt even training with their first team anyway. Elliott has played regularly so I dont see why Liverpool would recall him either.

The contract situation is getting ridiculous now, no doubt being held up by the negligent and illogical way in which the owners work.

• Like 1

We need defenders. Minimum of 1 probably 2. The issue is imo threefold: 

10 Quality - get beyond the back 4 and the quality isn't as strong. Certainly at full back the reserves look very thin. Also I think the defence quality wise isn't quite as strong as midfield and attack where we have a couple of very good players. At best are defenders are good. 

2)  Numbers - we have a ton of options in midfield, and a decent number of forward options, whereas defence seems always a tad reliant on converted midfielders. 

3) Fitness - the biggest problem is many of our defenders are injury prone. Ultimately the problems arise because we rarely have more than 2 centre backs fit and both Douglas and Ayala whilst good additions also have injury problems. To an extent quantity and quality debates become academic when the said players aren't available. We are often very short because most of our defence is susceptible to injury - and that's before the cramming in of all the games. 

One thing that illustrates this is look at how we have managed without Dack and Travis. Two of our better players, and yet in some respects we've carried on fairly well without them. Of course they would improve the team but without them we still have plenty of options. Take any one of our first choice defenders away, and it would be a very different story. 

So the Transfer Window has to bring Rovers one or two new defenders imo if we are to sustain a promotion push.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Personally think the most worrying thing being that:

Nyambe

Rothwell

Holtby

Are all free to talk to other clubs in 24 days?!

Pretty sure we have options of an extra year on 90% of our out of contract players, so luckily it's slightly less of a worry. But of course still urgent!

3 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I believe Nyambe decided to run his contract down when he was sitting on the bench watching Benno play there last season for too many games.

Complete, total, stab in the dark. Bordering on scaremongering this. 

Just now, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

We do for Dack, not sure about the 3 mentioned? Hope you're right because we can't afford to lose any of them on the cheap. 

Yes, I'm fairly sure on Rothwell especially. I think Nyambe is the only big one who's genuinely into his last year with no sign of any small print extensions.

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Undoubtedly Trybull would have been an ever present at Norwich in the last four games had he still been there.

I doubt it he isn't an ever present for us and we aren't the league leaders. Personally I haven't seen much in him at all, he barely looks an upgrade on Evans. 

• Like 1

The point about the possibility of the club having 1 year options on players isn't really much of a reassurance. 

Players know when clubs are serious about keeping them. They will expect to feel wanted and expect the club to be making serious efforts to tie them down long term e.g. 3-5 year contracts.

The 1 year option is little more than a safety net to be used in emergency to avoid a player walking for nothing. Said player is likely to sulk and be unhappy about the situation and spend a year waiting for his move. It is short termism and risky. 

If it isn't sorted quickly these guys will be off for next to nothing. Then Waggott will have to put another £50 on season tickets to cover the shortfall 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd say pretty accurate.  You believ what you want but as it stands Ryan will be speaking to other  clubs next month.  Maybe a manager that appreciates his qualities 

Yep. 

Best RB in the league and Mowbray does not appreciate him at all.

The fact he played Benno ahead of him for months was an absolute disgrace.

• Like 1

Nyambe definitely should never have been benched for Bennett and his contract situation is a symptom of that delay we all know about that hinders decision making at our club, but best RB in the league? Max Aarons is the best RB in the league, Nyambe is a good player but hes not the best RB in the league.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Depends if Trybull was name in squad list. 

Who knows if Trybull would have been ever present there. I know he is decent player here  

Rovers will have named him in our squad of 24. Downing became our 25th, under 23 Academy graduates can play and don't count to the squad of 25- without that rule we'd have been in the Norwich pickle of being unable to fill a bench of 9 subs. As it is we have had 13 out and have 20 players still available on match day.

Back to Trybull, players are allowed two registrations during the season so there would be no problem about any of Rovers' loans in or out returning to the parent club in January. Without that rule, what would be the point of having a January window???

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18767240.rovers-dont-envisage-contract-concerns-defender/

Hey, look folks- evidence, a source, back-up to what I am telling you.

Don't know if this sports salary website figure is accurate but the wage is pretty decent in my book and will price out all clubs except those in the top divisions in the four big countries plus a few perennial Champions League sides like Porto, Salzburg, Basel, Ajax

Ryan Nyambe earns £4,700 per week, £244,400 per year playing for Blackburn

Edited by philipl

What does that prove? No doubt that Mowbray would prefer to get him tied down to a new deal but all that 2 month old article says is that Mowbray "doesnt envisage any problems" which is hardly a firm assurance and indeed doesnt factor in the players wishes, until he has signed a new deal anything can be said, Hoilett was signing within 24 hours, words mean nothing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, philipl said:

Rovers will have named him in our squad of 24. Downing became our 25th, under 23 Academy graduates can play and don't count to the squad of 25- without that rule we'd have been in the Norwich pickle of being unable to fill a bench of 9 subs. As it is we have had 13 out and have 20 players still available on match day.

Back to Trybull, players are allowed two registrations during the season so there would be no problem about any of Rovers' loans in or out returning to the parent club in January. Without that rule, what would be the point of having a January window???

I know the match day squad rules and the rules of loans thanks Philipl. 

6 hours ago, philipl said:

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/18767240.rovers-dont-envisage-contract-concerns-defender/

Don't know if this sports salary website figure is accurate but the wage is pretty decent in my book and will price out all clubs except those in the top divisions in the four big countries plus a few perennial Champions League sides like Porto, Salzburg, Basel, Ajax

Phil, the game has moved on a lot in recent years financially. £4,700 a week for a RB of Nyambe's quality is not a lot of money, even in the Covid climate.

https://www.888sport.com/blog/football/championship/how-much-do-championship-football-players-get-paid

That wage doesn't even price out some League One clubs. According to this article, the average in League One (mean of course, with some high earners from relegated clubs stretching it) is a little under 5k. The average in the Championship is 29k per week, which is probably more than we pay any of our players. So no, it isn't pricing out all except the types of sides you mention. That's before considering the new riches in the game over in the Middle East and China. The average Eredevisie wage is also in the ballpark of Nyambe's current deal. No fee involved either. Any foreign side can also agree a deal as soon as January starts.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't expect an extra 3k per week or more to sign a new deal here, especially given his inconsistent treatment regarding starting games.

7 hours ago, philipl said:

Thats an ok league 1 salary, Phil.  Out of touch again...🙄

46 minutes ago, AJW said:

Best business we can do this January is to tie down players like Rothwell Holtby and Nyambe , anything else is a bonus 

Completely agree with this - how unsettling / de-stabilising would it be to have an exodus of players who have had a big influence on our season so far? Lets keep the home fires burning first, then worry about bringing in some new knees to warm.