BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

6 minutes ago, 47er said:

The best ever Rovers centre-back made his first-team debut at 17----Mike England!

Wikipedia purports to list his career but never mentions Rovers at all, yet he played 180 times for us! Only Spurs! 😂

I've no idea if he made his debut in that position though, he started off as a wing-half for a while.

One for Parson that---said he, craftily tempting him back!

He made his debut at right half and his next game was at inside left,  basically centre midfield in todays game . The following season he had a run of a dozen games at right back. After that he filled in in various positions until Matt Woods retired when took over at centre half. The first time I saw him play he was at inside right. I remember him standing in for Mick McGrath at left half and looking absolutely top class. Then he played centre forward for a while when we were struggling for goals in 65-66. So basically he played everywhere apart from on the wing and in goal. A pal of mine played for Bury in the old Central League and played directly up against Mike, he said Mike was the best centre half he ever saw.

Only Paul Warhurst comes close in terms of having the ability to  play anywhere on the pitch.

At least we got half a dozen seasons out of him and a massive fee when he left. Today he would have been gone as soon as he got established in the first team, just like Jones.

• Like 2

There are examples of young defenders (not necessarily exactly 18) especially via the loan market, Guehi at Swansea has been outstanding, Adarabioyo was good here, Tomori was key for Derby a couple of years ago, there are also defenders like Nathan Collins and Cabango impressing. For me a big problem with loaning a kid is knowing with any certainty that they are what you need when signing them, you are taking a stab in the dark. Under 23 football is by its very nature sanitised and totally different from the competitive nature of League football. With an attacking player there is more scope for flexibility, they can start off with cameos off the bench etc whereas with a centre back they will be coming to slot straight in and you cant know beforehand whether they will be able to cope with the physicality having only faced young strikers who lack the physicality or the know how to give them a tough time playing with the kids, you might have a clear picture of how neat and tidy they can be on the ball but thats hardly the priority. This Everton defender for example has only played 13 career games, 9 at League 2 level and thats probably more to go off than most in a similar position so it is such a stab in the dark.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

he played against Wigan and it stood out like a sore thumb to me.

He literally won a header that lead to our opening goal against Wigan in that game...

2 hours ago, 47er said:

The best ever Rovers centre-back made his first-team debut at 17----Mike England!

Wikipedia purports to list his career but never mentions Rovers at all, yet he played 180 times for us! Only Spurs! 😂

I've no idea if he made his debut in that position though, he started off as a wing-half for a while.

One for Parson that---said he, craftily tempting him back!

Good example.  Once in a generation  player though I suppose.  

It's not normal is what I'm getting at.  I want a couple of big strong 27/28 year olds...what's that Alfie geezer doing who was at swansea..?

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Good example.  Once in a generation  player though I suppose.  

It's not normal is what I'm getting at.  I want a couple of big strong 27/28 year olds...what's that Alfie geezer doing who was at swansea..?

Oh you're right there. Not even once in a generation----once in a lifetime. I've never seen the rumoured potential loanees play so I have no comment on them but I do feel we've gone from being England's champions to being a nursery for big clubs we used to beat regularly.

And it hurts!

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, JoeH said:

He literally won a header that lead to our opening goal against Wigan in that game...

Not exactly the type of example I was talking about. Jesus, he's a centre half he should be able to head a ball with virtually no challenge. 

I'm talking about  competing to win the ball when  directly up against an opposing striker, like most centre halves have to do in a game. That's my point. 

• Like 2

He did look particularly succeptible in the air, seems to be that quite a few recall in the same way. I fear that he must be still quite a bit off the standard if hes currently playing in non League. Platt was doing likewise last season and he ended up leaving permanently to try and make a career for himself lower down the pyramid.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He did look particularly succeptible in the air, seems to be that quite a few recall in the same way. I fear that he must be still quite a bit off the standard if hes currently playing in non League. Platt was doing likewise last season and he ended up leaving permanently to try and make a career for himself lower down the pyramid.

Anyone who reads my comments on here knows I am not in the habit of criticising players, it's not what I do. In fact I"m one of Mowbrays few supporters on this forum and often stick up for him. I've no axe to grind with Magloire, he may well make a career for himself in the game, just don't think it will be at Rovers. 

4 hours ago, 47er said:

Oh you're right there. Not even once in a generation----once in a lifetime. I've never seen the rumoured potential loanees play so I have no comment on them but I do feel we've gone from being England's champions to being a nursery for big clubs we used to beat regularly.

And it hurts!

Once in a lifetime is right. England was an unbelievably good player. He'd still be a star in todays football. He didn't have a weakness in his game. He was without doubt the best defender I've seen in 60 years of watching Rovers.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Magloire was given a chance directly from U23 football. Played two matches and came up against Joe Garner (Wigan) and Steven Fletcher (Sheff W). Both are experienced operators similar to Graham and gave him a difficult time in the air. 

I've seen a fair amount of U23 football and for centre backs there is a massive difference from senior football. U23 football are very technical and to the feet. The strikers they face are usual quick and nimble. Magloire was coasting being quicker and more powerful than most. Timing, positional and tactical development was probably underdeveloped. 

Went to loan to Rochdale last season, think he was right back a couple of games, before benched and then getting a serious injury. Came back in the summer and showed against Vardy that he has potential. However you'd really like him to get an education like Wharton by competing in league football to take the rough edges off. 

I think Nyambe was a bit similar, and he is a proof how experience and match time can improve a player.

31 minutes ago, only2garners said:

A quick glance at Hartlepool's recent games seems to suggest that Magloire has been playing most games but in midfield rather than as a centre back?

Could be interesting as a defensive midfielder. Certainly has pace to get about the pitch.

Whoever we are targetting to bring in at centre half,we need the deal doing by Monday at the very latest.Stoke is a big game a week on Saturday,a win will take us above them and don't want to be going into that match with Johnson at centre half.

All the rumours point toward a youngster coming in and last thing I want to see is an 18 year old signed on Friday and then thrown in on the Saturday

6 hours ago, Yoogo said:

Taylor Harwood-Bellis "looks decent, bit of a meathead who doesn't pull out of a challenge" according to my City-supporting mate.

@bigbrandjohn Charlie's got another six months of a circa £20K p/w contract with us (£0.5m in total unti l end of June?). We'd either have to pay him off, agree some compensation with Fleetwood, or Charlie would have to walk away from it. Most likely, Fleetwood will go for somebody more qualified for the role, and Charlie's contract will run down to the end.

Stranger things happen at sea, but I do agree it is wishful thinking. That being said, if Charlie has managerial aspirations, he may be prepared to give something to get something. Fleetwood are probably burnt from the Barton experience and may play it safe. That would be a shame. 

1 hour ago, philipl said:

My Everton supporting stepson is convinced Branthwaite is coming to us and that we are getting an absolute gem.

Let's see...

Would certainly tick all the boxes. Tall, fast and good on the ball. Sounds like Tosin Mk II. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, islander200 said:

Whoever we are targetting to bring in at centre half,we need the deal doing by Monday at the very latest.Stoke is a big game a week on Saturday,a win will take us above them and don't want to be going into that match with Johnson at centre half.

All the rumours point toward a youngster coming in and last thing I want to see is an 18 year old signed on Friday and then thrown in on the Saturday

On the other hand, if he arrives last minute Mowbray won't have had time to get to him and he might just play his normal game!