BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

43 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

Drag their heels? The windows been open a week ffs

Regardless of how long the window has been open, it doesn't alter the fact that we are hardly quick off the mark in transfer windows. History will tell you that. Unless you include the 3 we have loaned out already, including a centre half bizarrely, when we are scraping the barrel already in that area. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Regardless of how long the window has been open, it doesn't alter the fact that we are hardly quick off the mark in transfer windows. History will tell you that. Unless you include the 3 we have loaned out already, including a centre half bizarrely, when we are scraping the barrel already in that area. 

I don't think it is bizzare to have let Carter out on loan .He clearly isn't ready to be playing at this level, can ruin a career by throwing someone in too soon.The Burton loan is a good one for him and us.

Agreed we could be quicker off the mark but up until a couple of weeks ago the club weren't planning on making any signings this January,injuries have forced their hand.

I imagine it's quite difficult bringing in a decent loan signing with the current climate 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I have seen a bit of Whiteman and he looks good in league 1. But I wouldn’t spend 7 figures on him right now because I genuinely don’t think he’d play in front of Trav, Rothwell, Holtby, Johnson or Trybull. All of the above have better credentials and experience. I’m more excited at the potential of Davenport and Buckley.

Hope it works out for BW. My gut tells me he’ll be a middle of the road Championship CM.

Lets talk about Rovers. Where the f@&k are our cb’s!!? 🙈...

Wow.

IMO, Rothwell different type of midfielder, Holtby now washed up and never box to box and as for Johnson and Trybull, you surely are trying wind someone up if you would play either of those in front of Whiteman.

We have only seen the odd flash from Davenport and, at 22, nothing to suggest he is going to be anywhere near the dominant midfielder we need - IMO, he is playing at least one league too high.

As for Buckley, I don't think the lad has potential - he simply hasn't got it.  IMO, all this stuff about PL clubs being interested and worth £10million is pure cr@p and for the fairies.  If he was that good, he would have nailed down a place with us two years ago and would have been whisked off by a top PL club.

Players with REAL potential show it an an early age.  Look at 17 year old Elliott.  Look at Foden, City - same age as Buckley but with 60+ senior appearances to his name and effecting games at the highest level.

As for Whiteman, if he is only a "middle of the road Championship" player then he would feel quite at home at Ewood because that is, at best, what I think we are and where we will continue to be with, IMO, the managerial dinosaur Mowbray and his 3rd rate coaching staff in charge. 

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, Mercer said:

As for Whiteman, if he is only a "middle of the road Championship" player then he would feel quite at home at Ewood because that is, at best, what I think we are and where we will continue to be with, IMO, the managerial dinosaur Mowbray and his 3rd rate coaching staff in charge. 

Ben's stats are 170 appearances with 27 goals from midfield. Age 24. Club captain of promotion chasing Doncaster Rovers. 6ft 2 big strong lad. Can play as holding or box to box midfielder.

Time for him to move up on his journey.  I believe he can play in the premier league. 

52 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

We have known the desperation for centre halves for some weeks now and stalling could cost us again. We have already seen that deals can be done by virtue of the fact that some of our players have already moved.

• Like 1

27 Goals in 170 (in League 1).....Well Keith Andrews scored 15 goals in 86 Championship appearances after he left us. I don't think many regret letting him go though. The majority of this board will never have seen Whiteman play so can't really comment on whether he is this or that. If we're going to spend a few million then it's CBs we need not CMs. 

Assuming Mercer is on the wind up if he's saying he'd play a lad whose never played above L1 ahead of a player who made 16 appearances in the Premier League last year (31 appearances in a title winning Championship side the year prior) and has also played in the Bundesliga. Then again, I bet he's never seen Whiteman even kick a football and probably only watched Trybull across a handful of appearances for us. Not like him to voice a big opinion though.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, arbitro said:

We have known the desperation for centre halves for some weeks now and stalling could cost us again. We have already seen that deals can be done by virtue of the fact that some of our players have already moved.

Yep. We’ll no doubt be playing Lenihan tomorrow and if he gets injured, then that’s officially season over (it it wasn’t already). Alongside him will be a guy who has played two games at centre half in his whole career (and that’s with us in the last two weeks!). Never seem to learn do we.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, superniko said:

27 Goals in 170 (in League 1).....Well Keith Andrews scored 15 goals in 86 Championship appearances after he left us. I don't think many regret letting him go though. The majority of this board will never have seen Whiteman play so can't really comment on whether he is this or that. If we're going to spend a few million then it's CBs we need not CMs. 

Assuming Mercer is on the wind up if he's saying he'd play a lad whose never played above L1 ahead of a player who made 16 appearances in the Premier League last year (31 appearances in a title winning Championship side the year prior) and has also played in the Bundesliga. Then again, I bet he's never seen Whiteman even kick a football and probably only watched Trybull across a handful of appearances for us. Not like him to voice a big opinion though.

There is a reason why Norwich let Trybull go and, IMO, that reason is plain to see from his performances for Rovers.  It's what players do in the here and now.

As for not seeing Whiteman play, have seen him 'live' (not TV!) against local teams on three occasions.

Think he has the attributes to develop into at least a very good Championship midfielder.  For a 23/24 year old, he's already got good game time under his belt, is combative (and boy we need some of that) and has an eye for goal.

We signed Dack from League One and I think he had a similar appearance and goal record to Whiteman and although obviously a different type of player, he turned out to be a bit of a player didn't he!?  

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mercer said:

There is a reason why Norwich let Trybull go and, IMO, that reason is plain to see from his performances for Rovers.  It's what players do in the here and now.

As for not seeing Whiteman play, have seen him 'live' (not TV!) against local teams on three occasions.

Think he has the attributes to develop into at least a very good Championship midfielder.  For a 23/24 year old, he's already got good game time under his belt, is combative (and boy we need some of that) and has an eye for goal.

We signed Dack from League One and I think he had a similar appearance and goal record to Whiteman and although obviously a different type of player, he turned out to be a bit of a player didn't he!?  

Trybull is awful. 

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

If both leave in the summer wont it been on free as both are out of contract? 

My PNE mates are expecting Pearson and maybe Davies will be moving in January for fees. Probably not big fees as they only have 6m on their contracts but maybe enough to get Whiteman.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Players with REAL potential show it an an early age.  Look at 17 year old Elliott.  Look at Foden, City - same age as Buckley but with 60+ senior appearances to his name and effecting games at the highest level.

For international superstars, that's mostly correct. Other very good players in certain positions often emerge quite a bit later. You could just as easily say look at Lallana or Scholes, who only started getting games in their early 20s (Lallana in a team which was then relegated from the Championship). 

Just as it's too early to say that he's on his way to the top, it's equally ridiculous to write him off at this point.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

I'm sorry but how do you know we haven't been making enquiries for weeks?

I'm sure we have plenty of enquiries in, but as we don't seem to have much money and are targetting the loan market then we have to wait for premier league teams to allow their players out.A few deals have been done in the championship but none really that im envious of.

36 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

I swear Ben Whiteman is the new Marcus Maddison on here. Can we just move on from him. Blatantly obvious he isn't going to sign for us if we couldn't afford the deal in the summer and we're not even being linked with him now.

TBH - given our need for defenders, I am not certain why he is even being discussed.

Even if he is as good as some think, from a PNE perspective they will (at best) be standing still considering the players they are potentially losing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, superniko said:

27 Goals in 170 (in League 1).....Well Keith Andrews scored 15 goals in 86 Championship appearances after he left us. 

Keith pointed his way to only 44 goals in his entire career....I always thought he was decent at a certain level and had a very good career.  I think most young players would want a career similar 

I'd imagine he became a millionaire from football so that would do nicely for any young player....

🙄

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I'm sorry but how do you know we haven't been making enquiries for weeks?

I'm sure we have plenty of enquiries in, but as we don't seem to have much money and are targetting the loan market then we have to wait for premier league teams to allow their players out.A few deals have been done in the championship but none really that im envious of.

In that case it confirms my point that it was bizarre to let Carter leave. I agree that potentially it is a good move for both parties, but surely it would have made more sense to wait until we had a replacement/s in first, given the fitness record of those that remain. We have already had to utilise a midfielder in the heart of our defence due to lack of alternatives. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

Of course I don't know who or how long we have been looking but they knew in early December that Wharton and Williams would be out long term and we would need cover. Historically we have been a slow off the mark, mainly it's been said because of the owners but whatever the reasons we could be left high and dry which will be compounded even more by the fact we have already let one centre back go out. We could be in another Raya situation here. We let a player go without having cover in, get gazumped and then bring in second raters.

It's the way the club is run I'm afraid.

In these troubled times let's just wait and see before making judgements!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rigger said:

Troubled times? I wasn't aware that it was just affecting us.  Teams are signing players now.  Barnsley picked up that decent young CH from Forest Green, nobbers have signed some, etc....

Mowbray is basically waiting for the premier league clubs to decide our season for us by tossing us a young lad who nobody knows will work or not.  Toisin did ok, but we let in loads of goals with him there .

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, rigger said:

As Sparks said there is movement in the market but we, aside from letting players go out haven't done anything. These 'troubled times' clearly aren't affecting all clubs, some of whom aren't as desperate for players of a certain position as we are.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

As Sparks said there is movement in the market but we, aside from letting players go out haven't done anything. These 'troubled times' clearly aren't affecting all clubs, some of whom aren't as desperate for players of a certain position as we are.

I'm not sure this is fair.  According to the LT/LL we have approached a number of clubs and are well-placed to take the lad from Everton on loan.

• Like 2

It’s not that Whiteman doesn’t have quality, he does. But over £2m right now on a midfield simply can’t be the priority. For that kind of money we can find four Thomas Kaminski quality players in Europe. We’ve now seen that it’s possible.

Yes the new regs on EU player visa’s make it a little harder but in terms of value for money, Tommy K is the best behind Dack in a very long while here.

I’d rather players from Belgium and Poland come cheap and surprise us than take big financial risks like we have done in seasons past on English footballers.