BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It will improve if he's better than Bell and Douglas.  At the moment we don't know do we?

But we can hope that he will? Rather than be pessimistic. Not the end of the world if we allow for some excitement is it?

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Signing the likes of Pickering makes good sense PROVIDING he's being signed to play and not sit on the bench for 3 months whilst he 'learns how we play and learns the position from Bell and Douglas'!!!

Just turned 22 with a decent reputation,  over six feet tall and close on 150 first team games to his name, sounds promising.

I think it's clear he's being signed now as Douglas hasn't cut the mustard - in fact, IMO, he's proven to have been another poor and expensive signing.  Sadly, much of our our summer business doesn't, IMO, seem clever when looking at Pears, Ayala, Downing and Trybull - a small fortune in wages and fees (transfer, loan and agents).

Trybull and Ayala could be okay in the long run.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bboy said:

Unfortunately, despite being very pleased initially with our summer business you are somewhat correct.

Good:

The Belgium.

Elliott -although only a loan.

Dolan - although having Elliott is actually hindering his development.

Okay:

Downing - not really involved yet few decent cameos, depends on how much we are paying him.

Trybull- certainly wouldn't sign him but a slight upgrade on Evans.

Bad:

Ayala- maybe okay if he was ever fit. Imagine he's on a fair wage. Was always the risk and the risk meant we should have signed a 2nd CH.

Douglas- on paper looked a great signing. He just doesn't look like he's motivated to play for us.

Pears- would be the last player on our team likely to catch Covid.

Unknown: 

The Greek- looked okay but must not be any good if butter fingers is ahead of him.

Downing would be in the bad section imo. Far too slow. Ayala I have still hope for. Probably needs someone pacy beside him. As he was excellent when Nyambe played alongside him.

A lot of excitement over Pickering seemingly stemming from random stats, crosses per game, tackles per game, progressive runs per game, and montages of him doing sliding tackles and the like. Will need to be judged in a game rather than with numbers as to whether he can help the back 4 concede less goals than it is currently doing.

I will refrain from judging a player I have never seen until as and when he signs, neither left back is good enough so we do need a new left back, young, highly rated at his current club and with potential to fill the position long term, room for cautious optimism. We need a new centre back in the next day or 2 too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I thought we went backwards after Trybull was taken off on Saturday. Probably another who needs a run of games which he hasn't had yet.

I’m not sure it’s the specific player, it’s the balance we need. We need one ball winner, one pivot and one creator. 

53 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

A lot of excitement over Pickering seemingly stemming from random stats, crosses per game, tackles per game, progressive runs per game, and montages of him doing sliding tackles and the like. Will need to be judged in a game rather than with numbers as to whether he can help the back 4 concede less goals than it is currently doing.

I will refrain from judging a player I have never seen until as and when he signs, neither left back is good enough so we do need a new left back, young, highly rated at his current club and with potential to fill the position long term, room for cautious optimism. We need a new centre back in the next day or 2 too.

I'm looking for a defender first and foremost at left back, not another " wing back " who hasn't got a clue how to bottle up a winger. We've had enough of those.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

People are impressive by his data numbers. Andy Watson did a full scouting report on Pickering and I reccomend him in the summer transfer window to yourself. 

6 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Or we need to re evaluate the shape of the midfield entirely. Play Dack in his best position and play Travis and one other deeper.

Dack, Travis and Rothwell in the middle 3. Simple as it comes. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People are impressive by his data numbers. Andy Watson did a full scouting report on Pickering and I reccomend him in the summer transfer window to yourself. 

Dack, Travis and Rothwell in the middle 3. Simple as it comes. 

Ive never seen him play so as I say cant judge if hes any good purely off data. 

Also dont think we can get away with Rothwell deep in midfield next to Travis.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I think data had MGP covering more ground than any other player, I can't remember him actually putting a tackle in on anybody but he would run along side them ok.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Of course you can. Rothwell runs and creates chances. Very few of centre midfielders do this.