BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

I was saying that just because there has been a media story that Stoke might be interested in a player doesn't mean that Rovers aren't also chasing players as well. Your post gave the impression that somehow Stoke were being more pro-active. Maybe they are but I assume you have no way of knowing.

If we want Pickering then go out and pay what Crewe want for him, if not move on and spend the money where it is needed most on a centre back. 

Just now, RoversClitheroe said:

As I tweeted - Pears deal seems even more odd. Antonis much higher calibre and pedigree. 300k wasted when we could sign a talent who's going to be a prem player in the future.

The Pears signing to me screams of Mowbray doing a favour for an old friend. Also how much are we spending on Downing's wages for him to sit on the bench and play every now and then from the bench. Mowbray likes to make out that he is careful with the clubs money but he is incredibly profligate with it. We are still paying the bulk of Mulgrew's substantial wages after he gave him a new 2 year deal (in which time he has played twice for us), then of course we paid Hart and Smallwood to doing nothing for an extra 2 months. Not to mention £12 Million combined on Gallagher and Brereton.

• Like 8

We don't know too much about the Greek keeper. But he seemed to have enough pedigree to be a second level backup. 

The money spent on Pears is just another example of idiotic priorities. He's made a couple of mistakes. Had a good game against Boro. I don't think he looks great at the moment but he may be able to carve out a decent future in the game.

But spending significant money on him considering our budget was a ridiculous decision. His fee and wages, Downings wages. It adds up. And that's not even taking into account the 2/3 month contract extensions to deadwood in the summer. It all adds up. We would be entering this window with a bit in reserve.

It's basically like me draining my bank account dry on nights out only to not have a penny when my car breaks down. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

I never usually go in for all this ‘Teeside Tony’ stuff, but the Pears signing has a whiff factor for me.

His dad Stephen Pears is a big pal of Mowbray, played together for 10 years and was one of TM’s coaches at Boro. 

Little track record or form, but a decent fee paid and a 4 year deal (which is a contract length we don’t usually see here). Nepotism at play, I’m afraid.

A 4 year deal is criminal.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, only2garners said:

I was saying that just because there has been a media story that Stoke might be interested in a player doesn't mean that Rovers aren't also chasing players as well. Your post gave the impression that somehow Stoke were being more pro-active. Maybe they are but I assume you have no way of knowing.

True. The only thing I am going on, is our past record with these sort of things.

2 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

I never usually go in for all this ‘Teeside Tony’ stuff, but the Pears signing has a whiff factor for me.

His dad Stephen Pears is a big pal of Mowbray, played together for 10 years and was one of TM’s coaches at Boro. 

Little track record or form, but a decent fee paid and a 4 year deal (which is a contract length we don’t usually see here). Nepotism at play, I’m afraid.

Paul Downing too, he is the son of Mowbrays mate...

Mowbray treats our club like his personal piggy bank.

Mowbray Out 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

If we want Pickering then go out and pay what Crewe want for him, if not move on and spend the money where it is needed most on a centre back. 

The Pears signing to me screams of Mowbray doing a favour for an old friend. Also how much are we spending on Downing's wages for him to sit on the bench and play every now and then from the bench. Mowbray likes to make out that he is careful with the clubs money but he is incredibly profligate with it. We are still paying the bulk of Mulgrew's substantial wages after he gave him a new 2 year deal (in which time he has played twice for us), then of course we paid Hart and Smallwood to doing nothing for an extra 2 months. Not to mention £12 Million combined on Gallagher and Brereton.

Beat me to it by 1 minute!

5 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It's the 4 year deal that stinks. And the dad. We now can't afford Pickering. Meanwhile the keeper we sold to MK Dons is apparently doing very well. 

5 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It's the 4 year deal that stinks. And the dad. We now can't afford Pickering. Meanwhile the keeper we sold to MK Dons is apparently doing very well. 

He is a bloody good goalie.  I watched him have a stormer a couple of weeks ago, meanwhile Tony's mates lad lets pea rollers go under him and we out of the cup.  

Mowbray Out!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JHRover said:

Oh well, another dollop of free positive publicity and 'proof' we are chasing decent players. 

Should keep restless fans quiet for the rest of January.

It was remarkably predictable that it was going nowhere, wasn't it? My immediate reaction was just 'knew it'. More window dressing.

• Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

He had reported the clause passing either before or at the same time as he reported the bid...

I'm guessing Rovers tried to sign Pickering before the clause in Douglas's contract expired (with the intention of sending Douglas packing) but couldn't get the Pickering deal done.  Sharpe has then been informed of the dealings after the event and written the story. 

• Like 1