BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

40 minutes ago, AllRoverAsia said:

And you are being generous.

9 at some level for Carlisle plus 4 at Everton - being 24 minutes in an EFL game and 3 games in PL 2 

Then again I've not seen him play and at least he's tall so I take that as a positive.

and so was John O'Mara!

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, rigger said:

I'll be listening on radio Lancs. Although Kevin Gallagher talks some drivel at times.

Agreed.

IMO, standard of 'local' commentators is very, very, very poor - listening to Gallagher, Bayes, Yardley and Lucy drives me mad.

A deal such as this Branthwaite one is win-win for Mowbray and Rovers.

1) Everton will be delighted to send him here knowing he will get first team minutes at a mid-table Championship side. Ideal for his development rather than sitting on their bench or with their U23s.

2) Due to the above Everton will be willing to do a deal for little cost to Rovers as we will be doing them as much of a favour as they are doing us

3) Rovers get to 'address' a problem position for the remainder of the season without having to pay any fee, without any medium or long term commitment to wages and with minimal contribution to wages (no doubt covered by the outgoing Chapman).

4) Rovers get to foster positive links with local Premier League sides which I suspect is a core element of Mowbray and Venkys transfer 'strategy' to recruit heavily using loans. On occasion this can be good - see Harvey Elliott - but it is short termism in action and personally I find it a tad embarrassing that we are operating in such a way for essential positions. Not a recipe that will deliver promotion. Expect to see us secure a 'prestigious' friendly with Everton come the summer though.

Doesn't really get us anywhere either way. It's just a complete shambles from back to front really.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

1) Everton will be delighted to send him here knowing he will get first team minutes at a mid-table Championship side. Ideal for his development rather than sitting on their bench or with their U23s.

2) Due to the above Everton will be willing to do a deal for little cost to Rovers as we will be doing them as much of a favour as they are doing us

3) Rovers get to 'address' a problem position for the remainder of the season without having to pay any fee, without any medium or long term commitment to wages and with minimal contribution to wages (no doubt covered by the outgoing Chapman).

4) Rovers get to foster positive links with local Premier League sides which I suspect is a core element of Mowbray and Venkys transfer 'strategy' to recruit heavily using loans. On occasion this can be good - see Harvey Elliott - but it is short termism in action and personally I find it a tad embarrassing that we are operating in such a way for essential positions. Not a recipe that will deliver promotion. Expect to see us secure a 'prestigious' friendly with Everton come the summer though.

Doesn't really get us anywhere either way. It's just a complete shambles from back to front really.

Completely agree. It's like we don't trust our own youngsters but if lads of the same age or even younger are on the books of a Premier League Club they're seen as the be all and end all.

Can't see that this lad will be significantly better than Magloire but at least it wastes yet more of the V's money and reinforces the argument that we couldn't afford the LB we were after.

Maybe if we hadn't previously wasted money on the likes of Gladwin, Smallwood, Hart, more recently on Trybull, Downing, this lad and also remembered to send Douglas back before the option to do so expired, we would have been able to!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Completely agree. It's like we don't trust our own youngsters but if lads of the same age or even younger are on the books of a Premier League Club they're seen as the be all and end all.

Can't see that this lad will be significantly better than Magloire but at least it wastes yet more of the V's money and reinforces the argument that we couldn't afford the LB we were after.

Maybe if we hadn't previously wasted money on the likes of Gladwin, Smallwood, Hart, more recently on Trybull, Downing, this lad and also remembered to send Douglas back before the option to do so expired, we would have been able to!

Though I would like our youngsters coming through  - we have to recognise that established clubs like Everton will be able to attract better youth talent than us. This lad cost them £750k (possibly more with add ons) has played Premiership football in an improving Everton side. If one of the better managers in Europe thinks he is good enough to play for them - there must be a reasonable chance he will be good enough for the Championship.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, JHRover said:

Ridiculous 🤣 

Decent signing from what I have seen and read. Best of luck to the lad. F*** the begrudgers! 

• Like 3

It is a decent signing, as was Tosin.

But ideally we need an experienced old hand back there (and some proper coaching by the look of it at times), and young lads, of course, will make mistakes and that will just add to the keystone cop antics that ensure we never threaten the top 6.

But it is what it is, for a club that rarely spends fees on defenders and a manager that just doesn’t seem to see building from the back as a priority.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

It is a decent signing, as was Tosin.

But ideally we need an experienced old hand back there (and some proper coaching by the look of it at times), and young lads, of course, will make mistakes and that will just add to the keystone cop antics that ensure we never threaten the top 6.

But it is what it is, for a club that rarely spends fees on defenders and a manager that just doesn’t seem to see building from the back as a priority.

Maybe he has always felt Wharton and Lenihan is the long term solution?

Also - Ayala is an “old” head and I’m not sure he’s the sort of character at this point.

Anyway - I’m happy we have a more options than Bradley Johnson at least! 

• Like 3

Ayala was, on paper, what was required and I personally think his performances have actually been ok considering he can’t ever have been fully fit since arriving  - however his injury record has got worse over recent seasons and now in his 30s you can’t imagine that improving - you have to look at the overall package with a signing, especially as Williams and Lenihan always miss a sizeable chunk of games.

Just doesn’t seem to be any kind of real strategy with building the defence, always seems to be essay crisis mode, unlike with what he’s trying to do with the team in an attaching sense.

• Like 2

Interesting comments from Buckley. I don't doubt that we could do better if we dipped into the market, but I think he's shown enough to be a regular member of the squad. I know a lot on here don't rate him but I actually think he's done a decent job when he's filled in due to injuries. I certainly see no reason why he should be spoken about negatively compared to someone like JRC who gets rave reviews whilst doing nothing of note.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rigger said:

If he had that much confidence he would say to the manager. I am a midfielder not a full-back. Play me in midfield. It is upto the player to then justify his confidence. 

A loyal player will play anywhere the manager asks him temporarily if it's for the good of the team.