BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Selling Armstrong for over 10 million secures Mowbray's position for another couple of years. He'll be Mr Popular with the Venky bean counters and point to his approach being vindicated.

Not what we need.

We need to keep Armstrong as long as possible and make a managerial change to bring in the staff needed to get us promoted.

The Armstrongs of this world are like gold dust. Very difficult to replace. The Mowbrays of this world are easy to replace.

When did we last sell a decent player? Of all the accusations to throw at Mowbray or Venkys, you can’t argue that they’ve shown willingness to sell our best players at the first opportunity.

If Armstrong goes for good money to a prem team, so be it. It happens to all Championship clubs. I don’t want him to go and I’d be concerned where the money might end up, but I wouldn’t blame the club IF the offer is right. Hopefully we’ll hold on to him until the summer at least.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

When did we last sell a decent player? Of all the accusations to throw at Mowbray or Venkys, you can’t argue that they’ve shown willingness to sell our best players at the first opportunity.

If Armstrong goes for good money to a prem team, so be it. It happens to all Championship clubs. I don’t want him to go and I’d be concerned where the money might end up, but I wouldn’t blame the club IF the offer is right. Hopefully we’ll hold on to him until the summer at least.

Nor would I blame the club. I accept that we are where we are. Provided we got a reasonable price for him I wouldn't have an issue with selling him, although I would be concerned/disappointed if we did.

We ain't going up any time soon unless something drastic changes so don't see how we could reasonably deny him a Premier League move.

What I would object to is handing Mowbray whatever proceeds we got. He's had enough and we need to be moving on. My worry is that a sale or two of prized assets is just going to see the 'slow build' continue for another few years and the owners think Mowbray is great because he's turned them a good profit. 

• Like 1

I’d sell Armstrong once it hits the 15 mill mark. I don’t think he is all that and a bag of chips. Never been so frustrated with one player being so ball greedy. He scores goals and those are hard to be replaced but I think to strengthen other areas I’d be willing to sell. Kipre, Lewis ferguson, Ronan Curtis and a striker. I’d love Gayle but probably too far out of reach. Back in for assombalonga?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

Selling Armstrong for over 10 million secures Mowbray's position for another couple of years. He'll be Mr Popular with the Venky bean counters and point to his approach being vindicated.

Not what we need.

We need to keep Armstrong as long as possible and make a managerial change to bring in the staff needed to get us promoted.

The Armstrongs of this world are like gold dust. Very difficult to replace. The Mowbrays of this world are easy to replace.

We aren't anywhere near ready for promotion even if we went on a run. It would be embarrassing how dismal we would be in the premier League with this team and management.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rhodie said:

We aren't anywhere near ready for promotion even if we went on a run. It would be embarrassing how dismal we would be in the premier League with this team and management.

Agreed. Which is why we need a manager and coaching staff able to get us there. Coming up on 3 years now and still nowhere near.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’d sell Armstrong once it hits the 15 mill mark. I don’t think he is all that and a bag of chips. Never been so frustrated with one player being so ball greedy. He scores goals and those are hard to be replaced but I think to strengthen other areas I’d be willing to sell. Kipre, Lewis ferguson, Ronan Curtis and a striker. I’d love Gayle but probably too far out of reach. Back in for assombalonga?

2 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Agreed. Which is why we need a manager and coaching staff able to get us there. Coming up on 3 years now and still nowhere near.

This is the longest period in my lifetime, where we haven't even mustered a challenge...

..and that includes a period with four consecutive years in the Third..

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, WacoRover said:

Who would that manager & staff be? 

I've already named a dozen managers who are available who i think would progress us. If you go back through my posts. If I was being paid £300,000 a year I'd be able to find more. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

The fee would be bigger than that I think but Newcastle get 30% of it! I wouldn't mind selling him for a big fee if a good manager were allowed to spend all the proceeds on  players that would take us up.

But that's just a dream.

5 hours ago, StevenSK said:

They couldn’t afford said benrahama for 25 and spent 5 for the loan. They’re hardly suddenly finishing riches during covid whilst losing money to pay for AA are they!

They’ve just sold Haller for 20+ million.

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well his goalscoring stats say he is good. 

27 goals in 2020. That is good stats what more do you want? 

They are probably both god championship players but unlikely to make it in the top league.  Not sure how anyone can say one is miles better than the other.  Hayley does have some premier league goals to his name, so that might make him slightly more valuable.