BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

TRANSFER THREAD - JANUARY 2021

8 minutes ago, Herbie6590 said:

Buckley would be better served by modelling himself on players like Cowans & Sellars. You don’t need bulk to be successful....you need a technique you can rely on & vision to exploit it.

Yeah, look at Berkovic and Bohinen. Neither of those were much bigger than Buckley but they could ride a tackle. Berkovic especially would never stop looking to receive the ball no matter how tightly he was marked.

• Like 1

Jarrad Branthwaite deal is done, as far as Tony Mowbray is concerned. "He has to duck to come through the door which is a good sign." Seems all but certain he'll start against Stoke City on Saturday.

Either Mowbray now judges a player by his height or it's the new Rovers' medical!

Some of us older ones will remember John O'Mara was also a big lad!
Edited by Mercer
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, CheshireRover said:

Is this Tony saying: “Who the fuck has leaked this?” or is he saying “I no longer control the transfers”?

As far as I can see it’s been pretty black and white, we have placed a bid. Confirmed by their manager & both Sharpe & Crooke?

https://twitter.com/jaquobc/status/1349715503938461696?s=21

Apparently deflecting conversation.

Not really kept up with this - mainly because our season is over. But to chip in my thoughts on players currently being discussed. 

The Everton loan lad - meh, well we need a centre back but it's another sticky plaster on a big wound. A loan with option to buy from a player who would sign permenantly would've been my preference, as it might go towards addressing the defence long term. Maybe a promising league 1 player or a defender who is out of favour elsewhere in the championship.  That said we never do that, so this is probably as good as it gets. 

Trybull - compared to Evans I really rate him. Compared to others less so. If he's occupying Evans place in the squad I'm fine with him being here as it's a clear upgrade. As a long term (though it isn't given its a loan) first team midfielder I think he's far too mediocre 

Buckley - I like him and think there's a heck of a talent there. Getting that talent out of him is the trick as plenty of talented players don't go on to make it. The right back nonsense will not help this in the slightest. A loan may be the best option but think he is worth persevering with as IF he lives up to his potential we have a very good player. 

Other signings - only if it benefits next year and are permanents. After all this year we ain't going anywhere so it's a bit of a waste in some ways bringing in more players. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Mercer said:
Jarrad Branthwaite deal is done, as far as Tony Mowbray is concerned. "He has to duck to come through the door which is a good sign." Seems all but certain he'll start against Stoke City on Saturday.

Either Mowbray now judges a player by his height or it's the new Rovers' medical!

I always remember O'Mara's comment. "The people of Blackburn have not seen the best of me yet". The problem was, that we had and it wasn't good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, rigger said:

I always remember O'Mara's comment. "The people of Blackburn have not seen the best of me yet". The problem was, that we had and it wasn't good.

Only player I've ever seen crying on the pitch.

Started off moderately well, until the previously injured Tony Field returned, everything went through Field to O'Mara',s detriment.

Retrieving a ball in front of Riverside for a throw in, crying uncontrollably, confidence completely shot, never to recover.

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Gallagher and Bererton are above average in height but below average in heading ability. Plenty of tall players come through as young players never having had to jump much because of their height advantage. When they come up against players who can jump they struggle.

• Like 2

Definitely take it with a pinch of salt, but we've been linked with Conor Hourihane on Twitter after Villa said they'd be open to loaning him out. Probably one from the Championship transfer gossip generator but he's a good player, albeit in a position we're quite well stocked in.

8 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

Definitely take it with a pinch of salt, but we've been linked with Conor Hourihane on Twitter after Villa said they'd be open to loaning him out. Probably one from the Championship transfer gossip generator but he's a good player, albeit in a position we're quite well stocked in.

Send trybull back and we’re laughing

14 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

I would be surprised if they loaned him out. I'm not a huge fan to be honest, good set pieces, but that's about it. He's probably as good as what we've got though. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

"There could be, you never know," chuckled Mowbray. "We're three centre-halves down and there is a fair chance we're working hard behind the scenes, so let's wait and see.

"Keep your eye on it, is what I would say. Keep your eye on this space and see if anything materialises."

Guess we'll wait and see...

27 minutes ago, RoverKyle said:

That last bit only makes it all the more likely for me...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Not really kept up with this - mainly because our season is over. But to chip in my thoughts on players currently being discussed. 

The Everton loan lad - meh, well we need a centre back but it's another sticky plaster on a big wound. A loan with option to buy from a player who would sign permenantly would've been my preference, as it might go towards addressing the defence long term. Maybe a promising league 1 player or a defender who is out of favour elsewhere in the championship.  That said we never do that, so this is probably as good as it gets. 

Trybull - compared to Evans I really rate him. Compared to others less so. If he's occupying Evans place in the squad I'm fine with him being here as it's a clear upgrade. As a long term (though it isn't given its a loan) first team midfielder I think he's far too mediocre 

Buckley - I like him and think there's a heck of a talent there. Getting that talent out of him is the trick as plenty of talented players don't go on to make it. The right back nonsense will not help this in the slightest. A loan may be the best option but think he is worth persevering with as IF he lives up to his potential we have a very good player. 

Other signings - only if it benefits next year and are permanents. After all this year we ain't going anywhere so it's a bit of a waste in some ways bringing in more players. 

I think Buckley is a bit like, for those who can remember him, Lee Mackel. He was highly talented and arrived with great expectations, but sadly never fulfilled his promise. 

• Like 4