BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The impact of Brexit on football

I raised, a very long time ago, that Brexit would likely cause problems for our new European scouting network. Nobody seemed interested.

Think this could signal the start of the end for the Prem being the world's foremost league (in terms of finance and viewership anyway).

Never thought the work permit system was fair in football anyway, it was never really an issue for big clubs throwing loads of money at top prospects, but got in the way of smaller clubs trying to source cost effective improvements. This system sounds like it will be in the same vein. Clubs like ourselves will likely then have even more reliance on loaning the top youngsters the top clubs sweep up. Game is fixed.

Didn't Tugay or Friedel initially fail a work permit once and had to appeal? Or am I remembering that wrong?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I raised, a very long time ago, that Brexit would likely cause problems for our new European scouting network. Nobody seemed interested.

Think this could signal the start of the end for the Prem being the world's foremost league (in terms of finance and viewership anyway).

Never thought the work permit system was fair in football anyway, it was never really an issue for big clubs throwing loads of money at top prospects, but got in the way of smaller clubs trying to source cost effective improvements. This system sounds like it will be in the same vein. Clubs like ourselves will likely then have even more reliance on loaning the top youngsters the top clubs sweep up. Game is fixed.

Didn't Tugay or Friedel initially fail a work permit once and had to appeal? Or am I remembering that wrong?

You did indeed raise this point.

The Patel points system cripples us.

You fall in love with a girl/player and have to keep her/him in a foreign country until together you scrape together enough Patel points to be able to live together at home.

If you cannot, just have to forget about the whole thing.

Brits and British football clubs are second class now.

The lesson is you need a foreign arrangement so investment in foreign clubs by people who also own British clubs will grow where foreign players, particularly youngsters, can be safely developed until the Patel points can be gamed to your advantage.

I already have Maltese clubs asking me if I can find them English partners who can park players with them.

Alternatively, like Burnley have done, you register your Academy as an Education establishment and you try to use the student visa system which many Tory MPs are lobbying to be exempted from immigration rules.

As my deleted post pointed out, this tilts the playing field towards the Premier League and the Big 6 in particular with no time and no window to prepare by doing deals before it comes in.

Edited by philipl
  • Like 1

Presumably a knock-on effect of this is that prices for young British players will go through the roof. 

So it could be a very good time to have a team full of promising young British players (plus others such as Nyambe who have been here long enough to qualify for citizenship). 
Maybe the £12m spent on Gallagher and Brereton was an inspired investment after all!!

• Moderation Lead

Hi- just so we are clear, as I think this thread will have the potential to get views on politics involved very quickly, any views on Brexit or political parties within posts will be removed. 
Don’t say you weren’t warned! 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bluebruce said:

We had a handy high profile fan to sort the job back then.

• Like 1