BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - Saturday 5.12.20

I think this is as winnable a fixture down there as we've had in a few years.

Despite having Toney in amongst the goals, overall I think they're a weaker outfit than last season without Watkins & Benrhama, whereas we're stronger in all areas. Their record in their new ground is ok I guess, but 2,000 fans in there will be far less intimidating than 12000 in Griffin Park was.

My niggling doubt is Rovers' disjointed performances recently, but the onus is on them to come at us and if they do, we have plenty of speed & craft offensively to do them real damage. No BB sadly, but with the likes of Arma, Rothwell, Elliot & Dolan we've plenty of speed to burn. If we can keep solid at the back & get control of midfield (likely via Holtby & Trybull) we've got every chance of a very commendable 3 points.

All that said, I'd probably take a draw now!! ?

Our overall performances have been better away from home so I’m expecting us to play well tomorrow, not convinced we’re going to win though, I’d take a point and I’ve got a feeling it might be a 2-2 draw, with the top two scorers in the league scoring all four goals. More than happy to pay a tenner for this one because I think it’s going to be a really good game. COYB show us what you’re made of. 

• Like 1

Can't wait for this one, I must say I think the bookies have us way over priced too.

So we've got this flat track bully label from certain people. Brentford themselves haven't really beaten anyone who you'd expect to be 'up there' either. Added to that their biggest win is 3-0 (amatuers). They've played the teams we've panned, beat Coventry 2-0, drew 0-0 with Wycombe and even got beat off Preston so that gives a little context.

We took 4 points off them last season, when in my opinion they had a better team too let's not forget. 

I hate to single players out but if Bell starts instead of Douglas its gonna worry me a lot.

I'll go for a 1-1 here i think, but its definitely winnable if we're on song and the right players are fit and picked to play....

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Can't wait for this one, I must say I think the bookies have us way over priced too.

So we've got this flat track bully label from certain people. Brentford themselves haven't really beaten anyone who you'd expect to be 'up there' either. Added to that their biggest win is 3-0 (amatuers). They've played the teams we've panned, beat Coventry 2-0, drew 0-0 with Wycombe and even got beat off Preston so that gives a little context.

We took 4 points off them last season, when in my opinion they had a better team too let's not forget. 

I hate to single players out but if Bell starts instead of Douglas its gonna worry me a lot.

I'll go for a 1-1 here i think, but its definitely winnable if we're on song and the right players are fit and picked to play....

When you put it like that I am much more optimistic. 

When I think of our performances the last few games I'm less so! 

3 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

'A throwback' - The Rovers youngster catching Mowbray's eye | Lancashire Telegraph

Pike getting good reviews off the manager. Any good?

Seen him on several occasions and always liked him. Energetic, solid and dependable. Always a 7 of 10. Can tackle, head and has good distribution. Hard to judge U23 level, but one of a handful I'm certain will have a professional career. Could probably do a job in an emergency, but would probably benefit from a loan before chucking him in. 

Some players like Buckley, Rankin-Costello and Butterworth are easier to identify at U23 level because they were obviously a level above. Others are more solid but can turn into great players with experience. Pike is one of them. Others would be Whitehall, Barnes, Vale and young Garrett. Hayden Carter was solid but never eye-catching at U23 level, but did a decent job for the first team.

On the other side, Magloire was very dominant at U23 and probably found it too easy with his pace and physique against small techincal forwards. Found it much harder at senior level when positioning, tactical and heading is much more important. Still think he might come good after loan experience, proved his potential against Vardy in pre-season.

• Like 7

All I am going to say is, it is great to see Rovers scoring again and winning more than we lose. 

TM will play Gally instead of Brereton, no formation changes and fingers crossed we can put out 2 CBs. 

Hope for a win, content with a draw but defeat and it's same old same old, flopping when we could enter the real race. 

After grinding out two wins against defensive teams, why are some fans so negative? Instead we should be praising Mowbray and the boys. It’s the sign of a good side that learns to win ugly. 

Brentford will be another tough test on Saturday. Eight games unbeaten and only 3 goals conceded! Think we’ll sneak it 2-1.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Reckon we could get absolutely pumped here. Not been playing well but got away with it in the last few, Brentford also on great form and not conceding many.

Come on Tone and the boys prove me wrong and don't get the usual 'within touching distance of the play offs' yips 

I sincerely hope you are wrong. But, we've yet to receive a drubbing unless you consider Readings 4 goals against as a serious beating. Which I don't in these crazy times. 

I'll be happy with a draw tbh. 

COYB.! 

• Like 1

I thought resting Rothwell midweek was a bit of a master stroke from Mowbray, shame he had to use him, but I think he had his eye on this game and keeping him fresh. He is our best player IMO(Until Dack returns, and Elliott isn't really ours), and the one that makes the whole 4-3-3 tick. I think he really can be the difference against Brentford. Hopeful thinking....

I think we might lose the next three, and then get Breo, Dack and Travis back and go on a serious run when we have a fully fit squad. 

Would take a draw right now, but we do play better against teams that are actually commiting players forward. 

It's all terribly exciting this year.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

I’m going to stay optimistic, Rovers are on a nice run, taking 14 of the last 18 points, & Tony has been pretty good at getting 11 on the pitch that can get us points. This run all started with 0-0 vs Boro when we had 12 1st teamers out, 7 who under anybody’s score card could be considered starters. 

I’ve gotta trust Tony on this one... hopefully, I won’t be venting my anger on him if it doesn’t play out the way I think it should. COYB! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CrouchingNunhiddenCucumber said:

Reckon we could get absolutely pumped here. Not been playing well but got away with it in the last few, Brentford also on great form and not conceding many.

Come on Tone and the boys prove me wrong and don't get the usual 'within touching distance of the play offs' yips 

If Brentford are on great form then so are we, in fact slightly better depending on which form table you look at.....