BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - Saturday 5.12.20

2 minutes ago, 47er said:

Never a penalty in a million years! We got the benefit of bad refereeing last game, now its our turn to suffer.

Seems the way in the Championship.

Yeah would seem so.

Re sending off didn’t appear to be last man either. Had an expletive-ridden mid-morning rant. Sadly he scored their second goal but I guess whoever laughs last, laughs the longest. 

Only just seen the highlights. Isn’t football a funny game with everyone seeing the same incidents in different ways. Never a penalty in a million years and how the ref gives a red card is beyond me. 

outstanding resilience and effort from the lads second half. No doubt that this group have great belief.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ulrich said:

Is that true re: forest? 20 games in the chumpions league and twice winners? Remarkable. 

Yeah a couple of seasons ago on their forum. Went on to look what their opinion of rovers was prior to the game and in the forest thread that was part of a discussion that they where having. 

Looked brentford up to see what they’d won and other than some southern conference thing nothing. 

Has the previous poster said they are really annoying and full of delusions of grandeur 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matt83 said:

Only just watched the highlights. Their number 7 what a prick. After a fairly innocuous looking penalty runs over to the ref brandishing imaginary cards then after lenihan was sent off gave it the old fist pump. Hope he enjoyed the equaliser. I’d have sent that peroxide blonde prick off as well.

I thought players asking the ref to book and or send players off was supposed to be a yellow card? 

13 hours ago, arbitro said:

I would have expected a penalty at the other end so I'm not too critical of the award but the decision to send Lenihan off is certainly worthy of an appeal. In the appeal process you are allowed to show evidence, written and visual of why you don't believe it should have been red. For it to be a sending off the opponent has to be moving to his opponents goal with an obvious goalscoring opportunity. In my view Kaminski would have got to the ball first. If the incident is slowed down and they look at the position of the ball at the moment of contact that should form the basis of the appeal in that it is not an obvious goalscoring opportunity. There is also the 'double jeopardy' law change in which it may be considered that a penalty and yellow card suffice as the challenge wasn't cynical. That however could open a can of worms as Lenihan had been booked and would have got a second yellow. As you cannot appeal against cautions that would have left us with nowhere to go. So as daft as it sounds the red card was better for us as it gives us an opportunity to appeal. Although the appeals process is flawed and random I think we have a chance with this one.

Bet we don’t appeal. There is probably an admin fee involved.

Was out with the family yesterday so missed the game, but just watched the full 90 mins back on ifollow.

A few thoughts...

First Half 

Seeing the teamsheet with both Trybull and Johnon in the midfield I was expecting us to be right under the cosh, playing very deep from the first minute. How wrong could I be? Up until the pen we totally dominated. Defence did not really have too much to do. Our shape was incredibly good, we pushed up really well. Thought it was Trybulls best performance by miles, he spent most of the half over the halfway line, used the ball well, drove the team forward. Maybe he just needed some time to get used to the system? Rothwell obviously absolutely superb with his goal, top quality stuff. Johnson very assured and got stuck in and kept Brentford on the back foot.. 

Up front @chaddyrovers Armstrong played the whole bloody game on the left! Sorry to be a bit petty but you were very forthright before the game he was through the middle. Wasn't the case. In fact it was Armstrong left, Gallagher right and Elliott as a false nine which - like Trybull and Johnson starting - on it's surface seemed a terrible terrible idea. But actually it worked very well - first time I have seen Gallagher on the right and he looked very comfortable and was deservedly MOTM. Won flick ons, ran their fullback ragged. I was thinking why this was and I would say it was probably because he was more tucked inside first half rather than out on the touchline - Armstrong, Elliott, Gally were all quite narrow and supported one another better than before. He was never isolated which has often happened when he has been on the right.

Incidentally you can see from the way we were setup yesterday where Dack will fit in when he's back. He will play where Elliott was all game - straight through the middle with the strikers either side. Elliott seemed to struggle a bit for me in that role - probably the weakest performance we had out there - but I can see how it will be ideal for Dack who has more physically about him and a strikers instincts.

The pen was a penalty as he was clipped, but as there was no malice and he was quite wide to the left of the goal I would have thought was a yellow max. I think we should get it over turned on appeal. Hope so anyway. I'm not one to normally criticise referees but he was absolutely horrendous today.

Finally Buckley right back was a bit of a weird one, I guess there just weren't any other alternatives. Offensively he did well, defensively he was totally unsuited as you would expect...

Second Half

Totally different game second half as we were all about trying to hang on; I thought we managed it absolutely superbly. We went very deep into a 441 but always looked dangerous on the break. If Elliott had been passing better Gally could have been clean through three times. Dolan also when he came on ran his socks off and made sure he got himself close to Gally for knockdowns and flick ons which was good to see. 

Unsuprisingly we conceded down our right side where Buckley to be brutally honest didn't really know how to play right back and got sent off for a pie as someone else said.... but we didn't fall apart. Just stuck to the task everyone working hard and looking for the odd breakway. We limited Brentford to only three shots on target all game which if you consider we had only 10 men, a right back playing centreback and a waif of an attacking midfielder playing right back is quite an achievement. 

And then what really impressed me is how pretty much bang on the 80th minute we suddenly pressed them very hard, pushed right up the pitch and Brentford couldn't cope. It was very well co-ordinated, obviously had been discussed at half time, and ultimately paid off with Davenports goal where we had 6/7 of our players right up on the edge of the Brentford area. Dolan got a nice little flick on and Davenport (who showed he can do that box to box role very well since he came on, got his foot onto everything) scored a good goal - although very well aided by a deflection.

All in all great result. Really impressed with the grit and determination. We really do look a different proposition this season.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Bet we don’t appeal. There is probably an admin fee involved.

It used to be a £500 bond which was refundable if successful. I would be really surprised if they didn't appeal as I believe there is a strong case. The wording of the evidence will be crucial however.

36 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It used to be a £500 bond which was refundable if successful. I would be really surprised if they didn't appeal as I believe there is a strong case. The wording of the evidence will be crucial however.

Why don't you offer your services to act as a consultant on our behalf Tony?

You're only sat on your arse at home in semi-retirement! ;)

42 minutes ago, arbitro said:

£500 is a lot of money. If only we had got just two more season ticket holders...

Let’s see but if it’s only one game I bet we don’t.

1 hour ago, Gaz85 said:

Only just seen the highlights. Isn’t football a funny game with everyone seeing the same incidents in different ways. Never a penalty in a million years and how the ref gives a red card is beyond me. 

outstanding resilience and effort from the lads second half. No doubt that this group have great belief.

Agreed, that penalty was harsh and the criticism of Lenihan equally harsh. Toney deserved a Tony award for the theatrical way he threw himself to the ground. Lenihan barely touched him. We got away with a load the other night so can't complain too much about 4 points from those two games. 

I still say 2nd place is do-able, we've not had our best team out for ages, we've played 2 sub-par games and got all 6 points from them and yesterday's draw was exactly wheat we needed after having to replace our whole back 4, reminded me of the WBA away game a few seasons ago.

6 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Why don't you offer your services to act as a consultant on our behalf Tony?

You're only sat on your arse at home in semi-retirement! ;)

Nothing semi about it Nick - it's full on 😁😁😁😁

One of the panel they choose from is Stuart Ripley and I understand there are no restrictions on ex players of the appealing club being on the panel. I really think the wording of the appeal is key though. I'd imagine Ian Sylvester is the scribe and he's been around long enough to know the system.

• Like 4

• J*B unpinned this topic