BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Brentford (A) - Saturday 5.12.20

Expecting a tough one here which could define what type of season we will have... a win and I think we could bypass playoff contenders and enter the automatic discussion, however a defeat will leave us back in midtable.  Our season is not defined by this match, but a win will give us some extra lives down the road.  Match preview & more.

Why don’t we play 3 at the back ie.

Lenihan Ayala Wharton

Nyambe                                                       Douglas/Bell

Johnson.      Holtby      Rothwell      

Elliott.         Armstrong 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, superniko said:

Not sure I have the same views on a Brentford defence that has only conceded 2 goals in the last 7 games. Albeit against nobody as lethal as ourselves. 
Agree with the rest though, leagues top 2 scorers, open match, a few fans back in the ground. Just a shame life isn’t normal as it would have been a great Saturday away trip. 

I am going off watching them live in two recent games. They live dangerously and I would like to see a well organised high press put on them- oppositions are probably too scared about what might happen at the other end but we should have the confidence to play the way we did at Bournemouth and Watford and go hunting the ball down when they are in possession in their own half.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Lenihan Ayala Wharton

Because it’s never worked 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Madon said:

He isn't for this game. Mowbray has said 1 or 2 weeks.

I think you may have misunderstood what Chaddy meant - he's just got a bit of a man-crush that's all. ?

To answer the OP,  it's the imaginatively titled "Brentford Community Stadium".

On to the game. Looking forward to this one. Brentford play some decent stuff so if we bring our A-game it should be a really good game. Hopefully Holtby will be back on song as I think he's the one that really makes us tick - was he affected by Millwall's shit choice of kit? He relies a lot on those quick glances before playing the ball.

Don't do score predictions as it always comes back & bites me on the arse. COYB!

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Lenihan Ayala Wharton

very rarely do we have three center halves fit at any one time.

• Like 1

Acid test for Rovers..... do we have what it takes to challenge for promotion by beating or not losing to one of the division's best teams or fall away again because we're not quite good enough ?

A good result would show we are serious contenders .

I'd go 4-4-2 with Gallagher down the middle up front and Armstrong a free role but playing close to him. 

Anything can happen in this league - Luton demolishing Norwich, Preston winning consistently away, Barnsley and Millwall playing football...

One of life's great certainties, however, is that teams under TM flatter to deceive. We all know we have been here before, on the verge of great things, only for the oxygen to be sucked remorselessly from our lungs by a run of poor form... followed by rinse and repeat.

Going to stick my neck out and say 2-0 to Brentford. Will be more than happy to have my prediction rammed firmly back down my doubting throat at 5pm tomorrow.

COYB - prove me wrong!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Definitely a tough game. Frank is commenting on how Rovers are the best attacking side says to me he will play 4-3-1-2 where he will hope to catch us on the break. This might allow Rovers a lot of the ball. The big problem for us is they have speed coming forward and if they can they will try to isolate the two Rovers full backs. 4-4-2 for me keep the midfield solid and take a point.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

It seems to work for other teams recently. It could give us a bit more resilience in defence. 

We've been doing ok though as we are. Don't think it's the time to start playing with formations personally, I expect this to be one of our toughest games yet and would take a point now.

Edited by S8 & Blue
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Definitely a tough game. Frank is commenting on how Rovers are the best attacking side says to me he will play 4-3-1-2 where he will hope to catch us on the break. This might allow Rovers a lot of the ball. The big problem for us is they have speed coming forward and if they can they will try to isolate the two Rovers full backs. 4-4-2 for me keep the midfield solid and take a point.

Watching the milwall game the best tactic against us is press high and flood the midfield. Is Barnsley and Milwall had Brentfords forward talent wed have been well down at half time. Crazy league though were any team can beat any other. 

14 minutes ago, benhben said:

Watching the milwall game the best tactic against us is press high and flood the midfield. Is Barnsley and Milwall had Brentfords forward talent wed have been well down at half time. Crazy league though were any team can beat any other. 

True and it's funny because I bet if we had Graham up front they would be hesitant to do so. They know now long high balls to our forwards will be mopped up by the centre halves, so we always have to try and play through the midfield. I wish Gallagher was better in the air for his size. We can't expect Armstrong, Dolan or Elliott to win aeriel duels with centre halves. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 hours ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I am anxious about tomorrow too DE, but usually that's when we play our better football. It is the games we should win comfortably that we struggle with.

This is actually a very interesting game on paper. I still think Raya is one of the best goalkeepers in the league and he will be up against Kaminski. We also have Ivan Toney vs Adam Armstrong so it really is a battle of the big boys really.

I like Brentford. I liked their old ground. Like us they try to play football and we won't see the dross we were served up by Milwall. Barnsley came and played some real good stuff and it caught us out early doors. Brentford won't be nearly as wasteful.

I am going for a 3-2 Rovers win.

Trybull in for Johnson (he finishes games better) whilst Rothwell comes in for Brereton. If Douglas is fit he plays because Amari'i Bell will be torn to shreds.

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Douglas

Holtby Trybull Rothwell

Elliot Armstrong Gallagher

Our team picks itself these days and we have been fairly consistent with our "spine" when fit. The b/s "Tony Tombola" - which was rubbish when it was first brought about - can now be put to bed once and for all. Time for a new catchphrase.

I would agree this is probably the team, but with Gallagher through the middle and Armstrong left.

I am not a fan at all of Trybull from what I've seen and I would play Johnson ahead of him, but I can see Trybull starting.

Reckon with Rothwell playing Holtby will be back to his best. Brereton is a big loss for his ball retention up top, without him I think we may find ourselves on the back foot a lot more.

This game is impossible to call really. Could go any way from us getting a hiding to us getting a solid win.

As a team who considers themselves to be strong top 6 contenders and on the back of 3 successive wins, currently outside the play offs, we should be going into this game without any inferiority complex, without happily taking a point or even an injury free defeat now, this is a good chance for us to put a marker down and to perhaps end the day actually in the top 6.

Team wise, Douglas has to come in at left back, if he isnt deemed fit enough then Downing. Difficult call at CB next to Lenihan. Rothwell again if fit enough (Downing if not) can hopefully come in with Elliott on the right, Gallagher left and Armstrong down the middle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

True and it's funny because I bet if we had Graham up front they would be hesitant to do so. They know now long high balls to our forwards will be mopped up by the centre halves, so we always have to try and play through the midfield. I wish Gallagher was better in the air for his size. We can't expect Armstrong, Dolan or Elliott to win aeriel duels with centre halves. 

I've noticed he's started competently holding the ball up in the last few games so maybe there's hope he can learn to jump.

• Like 2

I think our downturn in performance level over the past 2 games has been down to the opposition nulliifying us playing out from the back by blocking the ball into midfield.

I reckon Brentford will play their own game and we'll see less of the ball and this will suit us. Press them, win the ball up the pitch and get at them from there. Also think we will get more opportunity to play and they will be more open. I'd expect Holtby to have more time and that will be key as long as he is alongside Rothwell and Johnson is on a going day. I don't rate Da Silva for them too highly - too slow in possession - and I reckon we can get at them. Defensively we need to be on it and the comparison of keepers will be interesting to say the least.

Go in there and play our game and I don't see us losing.

Edited by LDRover

Interesting that Sharpe was making the point we've struggled against teams that play 3 CB's and 2 up front. No idea if Brentford do?

Frank's been bigging up our attack, saying it's the best in the league, or something similar. 

Hopefully a result and performance similar to the last game before we went down...not the shit show when we surrendered a two goal lead. 

Raya will hopefully have an off day and drop a few at the feet of AA.

A draw would be a good result so a prediction of 1-1. A win and we're probably in the top 6. 

52 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

'A throwback' - The Rovers youngster catching Mowbray's eye | Lancashire Telegraph

Pike getting good reviews off the manager. Any good?

Haven't seen much of the youngsters but in the cup game against City, Pike & Brennan were the standouts for me.

Looks like a tidy full back who likes to get forward. 

• Like 1