BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Injuries

11 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That could be 12 months, feck. A mate did it before, a heavy gate swung on it, nasty. He was a long distance runner. Psychologically he took years to get over it, couldn't have anything touching it. Hopefully this is as short term as possible 

12 months, nightmare.

Really feel for the lad. I expected us to flog him the summer but we didn't and he got his chance and took it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Prelude said:

I think it proved yesterday and whilst we lose something going forward surely we are better having Nyambe play centre back and have round peg in a square hole at RB. Who would you play there? I think the options currently are Buckley, Downing and apparently Johnson has played there a few times or Pike I have heard good things about him but should we give him a chance now? I dont think Carter is ready to play centre back. What would you do presuming Williams is not ready?

If Williams isn't available I would play Johnson at centerhalf with Ayala. Trybull, Holtby, Rothwell in midfield. Armstrong, Gally, Elliot, up front.

19 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

So at the moment we've got -

Wharton out

JRC out

Williams out

Butterworth out

Brererton out

Evans out

Bennett out

Douglas maybe out

Have I missed anybody out ?

Yes only Dack and Travis the ones we REALLY miss. If Evans and Bennett were available TM would still be picking them. 

9 hours ago, Prelude said:

I think it proved yesterday and whilst we lose something going forward surely we are better having Nyambe play centre back and have round peg in a square hole at RB. Who would you play there? I think the options currently are Buckley, Downing and apparently Johnson has played there a few times or Pike I have heard good things about him but should we give him a chance now? I dont think Carter is ready to play centre back. What would you do presuming Williams is not ready?

If Williams isn't fit, I suppose Buckley. I absolutely hate people being played on the opposite side to whatever foot they are in defence. There are no benefits whatsoever,unlike when done further up the field. 

15 hours ago, Prelude said:

This issue with downing, Johnson and indeed Davenport is that they are all left footed. Doesn't really work at right back

5 hours ago, rigger said:

Trybull will not be able to play against Norwich on Saturday, so play him against Bristol.

I'm sure Davenport could play in both he's hardly been overused the last 2 and a half years.

5 hours ago, rigger said:

If so, why loan Trybull ? 

Perhaps he's not as good as they thought he would be. I must admit I have been very disappointed with his performances, he's barely an upgrade on Evans. 

22 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If Williams isn't fit, I suppose Buckley. I absolutely hate people being played on the opposite side to whatever foot they are in defence. There are no benefits whatsoever,unlike when done further up the field. 

When I first started watching Rovers we had Bray and Whelan at Fullback. Each of those could and did play left back or right back no problem. Same later on with Keith Newton and Billy Wilson, either of those were completely at ease in both positions. Newton was good enough to play both for England when playing for England really meant something.

It appears to be a modern day issue were players can't switch flanks without it being a major problem.

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When I first started watching Rovers we had Bray and Whelan at Fullback. Each of those could and did play left back or right back no problem. Same later on with Keith Newton and Billy Wilson, either of those were completely at ease in both positions. Newton was good enough to play both for England when playing for England really meant something.

It appears to be a modern day issue were players can't switch flanks without it being a major problem.

I think it may stem from todays players being exceptional athletes, rather than exceptional footballers.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Paolo Maldini and Dennis Irwin and their teams did alright doing it.

23 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

Paolo Maldini and Dennis Irwin and their teams did alright doing it.

One of the best defenders the world has even seen and one of the best full backs of the Premier League era. Actually scratch that, 2 of the best defenders the world has ever seen lol. I loved Maldini. One of my favourites. He played centre half no bother as well. 

18 hours ago, philipl said:

Del- hopeful he will play v Bristol City (the target recovery before Saturday's catastrophes)

Wharton- achilles having a scan but probably his season is over

Brereton- probably back for Stoke away

Dack- Boxing Day v Sheffield Wednesday possibly 

So sad for Wharton. Awful for the lad 

Says on the LT Doncaster is the target for Dack 

23 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I suppose the game was slower then, with less phenomenal athletes. Possibly better ballers back then too. A lot of full backs now are just wing machines basically. That's why I like Douglas, he reminds me of an old school throw back to what a full back used to be, plays with his brain and technique, not his engine. 

Ah players are mentally fragile these days too. They brick it playing out of position. It's real obvious to see, particularly in defence I think 

Or maybe I'm just talking through my arse lol 

44 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wow. That's deadly. 

(massively trying not to get my hopes up about this season) 

Think we need to be careful not to expect too much of Dack too soon.

Just over 12 months out with a cruciate will take Dack some time to get back to anywhere near 'normality'.

IMO, at worse, he never will be the same force again and at best, will take half a dozen matches or so to get back anywhere near to where he was.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Think we need to be careful not to expect too much of Dack too soon.

Just over 12 months out with a cruciate will take Dack some time to get back to anywhere near 'normality'.

IMO, at worse, he never will be the same force again and at best, will take half a dozen matches or so to get back anywhere near to where he was.

I just hope he doesn't get injured anytime soon and gets enough time to get back to his best. 

I'm fairly sure he is going to come back operating mainly as a striker, through the middle. Used as a sub for Armstrong. I think he will want to play in the midfield 3 and will probably get a chance as well, but that will be the real test