BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Canaries. Sat 12th Dec 3pm

Norwich, like us, have injury problems, however, even based on who was available last night, we should have more than enough in our locker to see them off.

I'd go:

Kaminski / Nyambe Williams, Ayala, Bell / Rothwell, Davenport, Holtby / Elliott,  Armstrong,  Dolan

That line up has goals in it and I can see us running out winners by the odd goal in 5 or even 7.

Kaminski is a huge improvement on Walton but I think he will cost us soon unless he tempers his outfield antics.

I think Lenihan is a liability who is regressing - not that I'm overly impressed with Ayala.  IMO, Douglas is washed-up and weak defensively and even his set plays (for which is is famed) have been poor - says something when Bell would be preferred.

Think Johnson will be on his arse now and we need fresh legs in midfield - time to see if Davenport has what it takes. 

In this league, Elliott, Armstrong and Dolan should terrorise most defences - Gallagher SHOULD NOT be played out wide. 

• Like 3

• K-Hod pinned this topic
58 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Norwich, like us, have injury problems, however, even based on who was available last night, we should have more than enough in our locker to see them off.

You said that last night, and on many other occasions when it didn't make sense. Why do you do it?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

The flaw Rovers must correct & poor record on Sky Sports | Lancashire Telegraph

'For the first time this season, on Saturday, Rovers could have all three of Darragh Lenihan, Daniel Ayala and Derrick Williams available at the same time. That luxury could afford Tony Mowbray the chance to go with a back three should he wish, with a midfield box infront of them, and then Adam Armstrong in attack. It’s something Mowbray has contemplated, but not been able to do as yet, given the personnel available'

Change of system perhaps. It would accommodate Dack when he's fit.  

Watching last night Johnson spent part of the night operating in between Williams and Ayala. It was an interesting tactic that saw both full backs pushed right forward.

3 hours ago, Waggy76 said:

Wonderful footballer Alan Wright , only surpassed  by Graeme Le Saux and Keith Newton in my time of watching ..

I'm inclined to agree with that. Billy Wilson was a good left back and I think John Bailey would have given Wrighty a run for his money. I agree he was a great little player though. He could attack and defend equally well which is really rare. I remember him having a real battle with Stuart Ripley when Stuart was at 'Boro and he came out with a draw on points.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Ayala was an exciting signing but I dont think he has "been good," he has been mainly injured, and looked really rusty up until an impressive backs to the wall display at Brentford and then he was solid yesterday but not great for the all important goal. Mulgrew is not a suitable benchmark for the standard of a Championship defender.

Trybull has again been disappointing. Kaminski undoubtedly a very shrewd addition.

I've seen lots of centre halves over the years that were good players when we were under the cosh and on the receiving end of lots of pressure. Balls were coming in left, right and centre and they could get something on all of them. They probably spent half the game in their own penalty area. Where they weren't so good is when we were on top in a game and had our opponents pressed back into the last third. They weren't so good at countering a sudden breakout. They'd either doze off, couldn't sense danger, or hadn't the pace or strength to cope. Just saying. I need to see more of Ayala before I make my mind up where he fits in..

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

A team in the top half of the table, top of the table in fact, would suggest another defeat.

Yep. I thought we’d beat Bristol City so what do I know, but I’m quite convinced we’ll lose this one. We’ve been pretty pitiful at home despite the last two results and I just don’t think we have it in us to beat the very best teams in the division right now. 

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Yep. I thought we’d beat Bristol City so what do I know, but I’m quite convinced we’ll lose this one. We’ve been pretty pitiful at home despite the last two results and I just don’t think we have it in us to beat the very best teams in the division right now. 

The bottom line for me is we're just not good enough, especially when we haven't got our first 11 out on the pitch. Given the circumstances of this season I don't expect us to be able to field our best 11 ( Whatever that is ? ) any time this season. We've just too many unable to cope with the number of games being played.  I wish that wasn't the case but unfortunately it is. I've accepted we aren't going to get into the play-offs unless things change at the top. I can recommend acceptance, it's much less frustrating when we lose games like last night.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

4 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've seen lots of centre halves over the years that were good players when we were under the cosh and on the receiving end of lots of pressure. Balls were coming in left, right and centre and they could get something on all of them. They probably spent half the game in their own penalty area. Where they weren't so good is when we were on top in a game and had our opponents pressed back into the last third. They weren't so good at countering a sudden breakout. They'd either doze off, couldn't sense danger, or hadn't the pace or strength to cope. Just saying. I need to see more of Ayala before I make my mind up where he fits in..

I agree, so far he is showing he is a good backs to the wall centre half, but the jury remains out on dealing with counter attacks. I think he should improve as he sharpens up with more games though, if he can get a run without injury anyway.

9 hours ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

The flaw Rovers must correct & poor record on Sky Sports | Lancashire Telegraph

'For the first time this season, on Saturday, Rovers could have all three of Darragh Lenihan, Daniel Ayala and Derrick Williams available at the same time. That luxury could afford Tony Mowbray the chance to go with a back three should he wish, with a midfield box infront of them, and then Adam Armstrong in attack. It’s something Mowbray has contemplated, but not been able to do as yet, given the personnel available'

Change of system perhaps. It would accommodate Dack when he's fit.  

Seeing as Norwich will play a 433 I don't think we need to change for this game. Probs roughly same team as against Bristol City.

When we play Stoke they are likely to go 343 so I can see us matching up in a 343 also. Lenihan/ Ayala / Williams at the back, Nyambe / Holtby / Rothwell / Douglas across the middle and Elliot / Armstrong / Gallagher up top. Can see it working....

Edited by joey_big_nose
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

Seeing as Norwich will play a 433 I don't think we need to change for this game. Probs roughly same team as against Bristol City.

When we play Stoke they are likely to go 343 so I can see us matching up in a 343 also. Lenihan/ Ayala / Williams at the back, Nyambe / Holtby / Rothwell / Douglas across the middle and Elliot / Armstrong / Gallagher up top. Can see it working....

Tough one, they like to play it along the floor and through the lines and down the side of the centre halves.  Tbis is exactly what we struggle with.  Nyambe will be key and might need to go centre back.  

4 hours ago, joey_big_nose said:

I like the prospect of that formation and player selection too. I'd be tempted to exchange Dolan for Gallagher, even though Sam is showing signs of improvement in his overall contribution with the exception of finishing.

Another slight variation could be to go 352 midweek, exchanging Gallagher for Trybull, to beef up the centre of midfield against The Potters, leaving Elliot and Armstrong up top.

Our options these days are endless which is why it is sometimes difficult to understand Mowbray's reluctance to change things early enough, dependant on how a game's progressing.

I don't see a need for dramatic change to personnel, strategy or tactics.

Bristol City saw far too many players having an off night. The crucial one for me was Ayala. 80% of the time that header from the corner goes in the net and he doesn't swing at fresh air when the deflection which reached their goal scorer comes to him.

Two injury ravaged sides so it is a bit pot luck.

Brentford level performance we win.

Bristol City level performance and we will lose.

This is going to be about being clinical. The players we are able to field are capable individually and collectively of winning this one so let's do it.

Its getting on my tits a bit this losing points to the teams above us. I can honestly say I don't think any of them have really shown us up over the course of a game, they've simply been more clinical and we've had blatant lapses in concentration that have cost us. Reading and Watford both games we conceded 2 goals in quick succession. Bournemouth we gave as good as we got and a few quality strikes did us over.

Not saying its acceptable for one minute, just frustrating. 

And it must change, on Saturday it will.

People are being harsh on Douglas in my opinion, given his game time the past few seasons he is a bit rusty. No its not ideal, but now is the time, if possible, to stick with a settled back 4. The commentary alluded to how many different combos we'd had this season on Wednesday- admittedly this is largely down to injuries. Ayala and Lenihan for me and the full backs pick themselves.

I'd be inclined to slot Dolan in for Gallagher too. They'll be preparing to face Gallagher so throw a spanner in the works and let Dolan run at them, 2 totally different players to face up against. We looked too flat on Wednesday and Dolan cab bring a spark and some energy. Whilst people vented frustration at Armo, he was feeding off scraps. My second change would be Downing for Holtby. Largely ineffective again the other night and I'd like to see some quality through balls from Downing for Mr Armstrong to run onto. Also gives us better delivery options on set pieces, which have been woeful.

3-1 Rovers.

Edited by Ossydave
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

Its getting on my tits a bit this losing points to the teams above us. I can honestly say I don't think any of them have really shown us up over the course of a game, they've simply been more clinical and we've had blatant lapses in concentration that have cost us. Reading and Watford both games we conceded 2 goals in quick succession. Bournemouth we gave as good as we got and a few quality strikes did us over.

Not saying its acceptable for one minute, just frustrating. 

And it must change, on Saturday it will.

People are being harsh on Douglas in my opinion, given his game time the past few seasons he is a bit rusty. No its not ideal, but now is the time, if possible, to stick with a settled back 4. The commentary alluded to how many different combos we'd had this season on Wednesday- admittedly this is largely down to injuries. Ayala and Lenihan for me and the full backs pick themselves.

I'd be inclined to slot Dolan in for Gallagher too. They'll be preparing to face Gallagher so throw a spanner in the works and let Dolan run at them, 2 totally different players to face up against. We looked too flat on Wednesday and Dolan cab bring a spark and some energy. Whilst people vented frustration at Armo, he was feeding off scraps. My second change would be Downing for Holtby. Largely ineffective again the other night and I'd like to see some quality through balls from Downing for Mr Armstrong to run onto. Also gives us better delivery options on set pieces, which have been woeful.

3-1 Rovers.

Wholeheartedly agree, with the exception of one thing: It's getting on my tits a lot!

I think Holtby needs some time out the side. Earlier in the season he was everywhere, playmaker, late runs into the box, putting his foot in. He hasn't been good for some time now. I think he simply needs a proper rest. We looked good for the time Trybull and Johnson were together against Brentford. Maybe this is the game Davenport finally gets his chance. Midfield 3 of Johnson, Davenport and Rothwell.