BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

paolo rossi

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

rip to the hero of 1982,even if you did make me cry when italy managed somehow to beat  the best brazil side ever,football was never the same after zico,socrates,falcao ,junior,oscar,luizinho,cerezo,leandro,serginho and eder were sent packing(iv`e missed the goalkeeper waldir peres off cos he was terrible!)

That was a really great game. Brazil had everything apart from a goalkeeper and a centre forward.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

That was a really great game. Brazil had everything apart from a goalkeeper and a centre forward.

yeah,serginho the c/f was a bit basic🙂,got to say that was the best world cup ever,loads of epic matches,just the dodgy 2nd round group arrangement let it down,despite my sorrow after the brazil defeat i was supporting the italians in the final after schumachers criminal assault against battiston in the semis,he should have been banned for life imo,the **** did`nt even get booked

That was the World Cup which really got me into football.

As a 7 year old, I was just starting to take a real interest in football & that World Cup in '82 made me fall in love with the game. Paolo Rossi was obviously instrumental in that.

Still had my '82 World Cup mug with Naranjito the Orange on it until 4 or 5 of years ago when the handle broke off it. That also started a tradition, I always buy an official World Cup mug now - Thanks Mum.

I attended my first ever game at Ewood the following season.

RIP Paolo

• Like 2

11 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

yeah,serginho the c/f was a bit basic🙂,got to say that was the best world cup ever,loads of epic matches,just the dodgy 2nd round group arrangement let it down,despite my sorrow after the brazil defeat i was supporting the italians in the final after schumachers criminal assault against battiston in the semis,he should have been banned for life imo,the **** did`nt even get booked

Serginho wouldn't have got in the current Rovers team, neither would the goalkeeper. They didn't used to be noted for goalkeepers, I read somewhere that they reckoned Pele was their best goalkeeper in training but obviously they weren't going to play him there.

Interestingly, having a cursory glance at social media just after the news of Paolo Rossi's death was announced, I didn't get the same sense of 'he was a cheat' that I did in the wake of Maradona's passing. Maybe it's because he didn't cheat against England?

He had a fabulous World Cup in 1982 (once the group games were out of the way anyway, he was woeful prior to that) but if his original punishment for match fixing hadn't been commuted from 3 years to 2, he wouldn't even have been able to play in it.

RIP.

On 10/12/2020 at 20:00, simongarnerisgod said:

rip to the hero of 1982,even if you did make me cry when italy managed somehow to beat  the best brazil side ever,football was never the same after zico,socrates,falcao ,junior,oscar,luizinho,cerezo,leandro,serginho and eder were sent packing(iv`e missed the goalkeeper waldir peres off cos he was terrible!)

Remember it well ..teatime KO ..telling my dad as he walked in from work that his Beloved Brazil...."The Boys In Gold"..  had got beat ..can still see his face now ! Disbelief.

Happy Birthday Dad ..would have been 85 today ..not sure what he d make of football today though...

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, HowieFive0 said:

Remember it well ..teatime KO ..telling my dad as he walked in from work that his Beloved Brazil...."The Boys In Gold"..  had got beat ..can still see his face now ! Disbelief.

Happy Birthday Dad ..would have been 85 today ..not sure what he d make of football today though...

I always liked the 1970 Brazil team, probably the best team I ever saw..

it would have been interesting to have known your dad’s view on that. Happy birthday to your dad. I hope he may be looking down with my dad who would also have been 85 and having a good laugh at the prima donnas that we have to put up with these days

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ianrally said:

I always liked the 1970 Brazil team, probably the best team I ever saw..

it would have been interesting to have known your dad’s view on that. Happy birthday to your dad. I hope he may be looking down with my dad who would also have been 85 and having a good laugh at the prima donnas that we have to put up with these days

Brazil 1970, best team I ever saw. It tells you how good that England team was then because ran them so very close in the heat of the mid day sun in Mexico. I remember watching the players waiting to kick off and shadow of the overhead camera was almost directly overhead.

On 11/12/2020 at 10:24, oldjamfan1 said:

Interestingly, having a cursory glance at social media just after the news of Paolo Rossi's death was announced, I didn't get the same sense of 'he was a cheat' that I did in the wake of Maradona's passing. Maybe it's because he didn't cheat against England?

This is cool 

RIP

• Like 1