BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers v Rotherham Utd. (h) Wed. 16th Dec. 7.45pm

He lost his raw pace after his first injury in 92/93, but he was still quick enough.

Shearer’s first season at Newcastle in 96/97 he was as good as ever, he then had another bad injury, it was after that when he became markedly slower - all credit to him that he then adapted his game into more of a target man, but kept on scoring.

41 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Look if we were 6th and 6 points clear of 7th, nobody would be saying everything was cut and dried. 6 points is absolutely nothing at this stage of the season. 

Some have nailed their views to the mast so much about the team and Mowbray, that I do wonder what they would say if/when we get in the play off places. I imagine something like "we should have been in earlier" "It doesn't matter unless we are there at the end". The goalposts will always move and "progression" will be downplayed accordingly.

Don't @ me 😆

Your desperation to paint the fanbase as overly negative is impeding on any logic. The consistent argument against Mowbray is that he has has never gotten us into that top 6 reckoning, so now to imply that if we did finally manage to push on that next step, that people would then adapt their criticisms to downplay that is totally without evidence.

I may be wrong but you have in the past been critical of the manager so I am unsure why you are now resorting to painting any criticism to be unreasonable, backed up with made up hypothetical arguments.

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Your desperation to paint the fanbase as overly negative is impeding on any logic. The consistent argument against Mowbray is that he has has never gotten us into that top 6 reckoning, so now to imply that if we did finally manage to push on that next step, that people would then adapt their criticisms to downplay that is totally without evidence.

I may be wrong but you have in the past been critical of the manager so I am unsure why you are now resorting to painting any criticism to be unreasonable, backed up with made up hypothetical arguments.

Because we are clearly playing better this season than previous years. Plus we have Dack and Travis to come back. 

I'm not painting "the fanbase" as anything, so please stop with this strawman nonsense hyperbole. It's a select few, but we are all adults here, entitled to our own viewpoints. 

1 hour ago, Stonesrick said:

Before his 2 knee injuries, Shearer had blistering pace - just watch the 7-1 thrashing of Norwich.

He did lose that bit of pace when he returned but he was such a top class player that he was able to adapt his game and play more with his back to goal, bringing others into play, bullying defenders, whilst still having the ability to score every type of goal.

Still think there are people outside of Lancashire and Newcastle who do not realise what a world class player he was.

There aren't many who realise that!

Sadly, i think Dack's injury will have robbed him of at least half a yard of pace he couldn't afford to lose.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, islander200 said:

Mate all the team's haven't even played each other once ,some teams are still finding their way.No need for surges at this point as most teams are being inconsistent, Bristol beat us then go away to Rotherham and lose.

A few week ago we had dropped down the table ,some on here were talking about relegation as a possibility we then went on an unbeaten run and were one win away from being in the top 6.

Our next 5 are all winnable.

As for not beating any of the top 6 above us it's obviously true but from watching the games we have competed well in the majority of them,Reading and Swansea being the exceptions.Im confident wins will come against the teams above us.

Just think talk of the manager being sacked when only 6 points away is too much, fair enough if we were showing nothing in our matches.I would have sacked him last season as I didn't see any progress but I do now and he should be given the next 5 games imo and see where we are then leading into the January window

I appreciate the way you disagree well when we have different opinions. 

I can see what you are saying - end of last season was probably the best time for a clean break. I think where we differ is how much progress we see. 

You cite the good performances Vs top teams but we have also played pretty badly (and got results) Vs weaker teams. So on performance levels I'm not really sure that they are that much of an endorsement of TM and his ability and the chance to make up the points. 

We disagree with how big a gap 6 points is. I see it as large and my last post stated why, you see it as not that big. I guess there's an element of glass half full/half empty although I feel quite strongly that it's not much of an only!

Perhaps it's a context thing. Under a different manager perhaps I would be confident we could make it back up whereas under TM i don't. Perhaps it's also situational as in its 3 years in, we bottle top 6 each year, we can't beat the teams above us etc. Maybe it's the fact there are so many teams above us. Rambling a bit but basically I think it's the situation around the 6 points as well as the actual points difference that makes me less optimistic. 

• Like 1

I am not even convinced that it is a case of bottling it when we get near the play offs, I am just not convinced that the current manager is capable (with this squad) of picking up points with the consistency of a top 6 team.

The style of play and performance levels is perhaps not as straightforward as it seems, not until it does actually start producing the results that many have understandably taken hope from that it will. I definitely have been entertained at times this season and that of course is exciting, I am not advocating a complete swing and resorting to direct football (not that I am pompous enough to consider that any less acceptable, we just dont have the personnel) but equally I do wonder if similar results with a further strengthened side may show that our current style isnt the most effective in its current form.

Maybe the current style leaves us exposed on transition and highlights defensive flaws that still havent been resolved? Maybe there is a naivety against the better teams which is leaving us exposed? The best teams tend to maximise set pieces for example, ours are absolutely dismal with often ineffective routines and a manager who admitted last week that he doesnt get involved and leaves it to his staff. So I am unconvinced if the results will come and indeed maybe even though we think we are "playing better," it is style over substance and deceiving us that we "deserve" and will get more than is actually true.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Look if we were 6th and 6 points clear of 7th, nobody would be saying everything was cut and dried. 6 points is absolutely nothing at this stage of the season. 

Some have nailed their views to the mast so much about the team and Mowbray, that I do wonder what they would say if/when we get in the play off places. I imagine something like "we should have been in earlier" "It doesn't matter unless we are there at the end". The goalposts will always move and "progression" will be downplayed accordingly.

Don't @ me 😆

I know you said not to @ you (always appreciate that phrase), but it’s legit the same the other way around too.

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I am not even convinced that it is a case of bottling it when we get near the play offs, I am just not convinced that the current manager is capable (with this squad) of picking up points with the consistency of a top 6 team.

The style of play and performance levels is perhaps not as straightforward as it seems, not until it does actually start producing the results that many have understandably taken hope from that it will. I definitely have been entertained at times this season and that of course is exciting, I am not advocating a complete swing and resorting to direct football (not that I am pompous enough to consider that any less acceptable, we just dont have the personnel) but equally I do wonder if similar results with a further strengthened side may show that our current style isnt the most effective in its current form.

Maybe the current style leaves us exposed on transition and highlights defensive flaws that still havent been resolved? Maybe there is a naivety against the better teams which is leaving us exposed? The best teams tend to maximise set pieces for example, ours are absolutely dismal with often ineffective routines and a manager who admitted last week that he doesnt get involved and leaves it to his staff. So I am unconvinced if the results will come and indeed maybe even though we think we are "playing better," it is style over substance and deceiving us that we "deserve" and will get more than is actually true.

I enjoy the new style as I got beyond bored with the sideways and backwards passing from seasons gone by and I do think attacking is playing to our strengths and when he tried to play a more defensive game results were inconsistent aswell.

Although I thought on paper our recruitment was good in the summer, he should have brought in a left back with similar attributes to Nyambe and Nyambe should start every game he is available.Douglas has been poor so far and doesn't have the engine to get back when caught up the field.

I don't think we are far away though and I wouldn't be thinking of sacking Mowbray yet.

3 hours ago, Blue blood said:

I appreciate the way you disagree well when we have different opinions. 

I can see what you are saying - end of last season was probably the best time for a clean break. I think where we differ is how much progress we see. 

You cite the good performances Vs top teams but we have also played pretty badly (and got results) Vs weaker teams. So on performance levels I'm not really sure that they are that much of an endorsement of TM and his ability and the chance to make up the points. 

We disagree with how big a gap 6 points is. I see it as large and my last post stated why, you see it as not that big. I guess there's an element of glass half full/half empty although I feel quite strongly that it's not much of an only!

Perhaps it's a context thing. Under a different manager perhaps I would be confident we could make it back up whereas under TM i don't. Perhaps it's also situational as in its 3 years in, we bottle top 6 each year, we can't beat the teams above us etc. Maybe it's the fact there are so many teams above us. Rambling a bit but basically I think it's the situation around the 6 points as well as the actual points difference that makes me less optimistic. 

Yes I do appreciate where you and others are coming from but I have belief that I didn't have last season.I think there are more positives than negatives to be taken so far.

Hopefully Watford beat Brentford tonight and QPR can get a homw win v stoke

For me as this is the 3rd year of the normal Venky cycle we have to go up this year. The summer will be a horror story of cutting funding, reducing squad and wages and selling anyone who is sellable, as happened last time under bowyer inorder to comply with FFP in 2022.

I just don't think TM can do it this year, without the injuries he may have had a chance but i really do worry now.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mattyblue said:

He lost his raw pace after his first injury in 92/93, but he was still quick enough.

Shearer’s first season at Newcastle in 96/97 he was as good as ever, he then had another bad injury, it was after that when he became markedly slower - all credit to him that he then adapted his game into more of a target man, but kept on scoring.

I often wonder how good he would have been without that first injury - he was genuinely quick prior to injury, but lost an edge of pace - obviously still a great player

I've said this before. It's no use sacking Mowbray.

We need a club that is owned by people who understand the modern game, decide on a goal to achieve and a way to play to achieve that goal; similar to Southampton, Wolves, Swansea. Only then can you realistically decide on the staff at the club including the coaches and the manager.

Changing our manager right now would probably be like leaping from frying pan to fire.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DavidMailsTightPerm said:

I often wonder how good he would have been without that first injury - he was genuinely quick prior to injury, but lost an edge of pace - obviously still a great player

i think he would have become one of the greatest strikers ever,when he had that extra burst pace he  was the complete centre forward,that first injury took a yard off him,though he modified his game,he was`nt quite the fireball he was before,incidentally i always thought the sheff wed centre forward david hirst was equally as good as shearer but suffered even worse injuries and never fulfilled his potential,he would have been some player that lad

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

i think he would have become one of the greatest strikers ever,when he had that extra burst pace he  was the complete centre forward,that first injury took a yard off him,though he modified his game,he was`nt quite the fireball he was before,incidentally i always thought the sheff wed centre forward david hirst was equally as good as shearer but suffered even worse injuries and never fulfilled his potential,he would have been some player that lad

Yes - Hurst was really good. Imagine an England team with injury free Hurst and Shearer up front with Warhurst running the midfield (what could have been, but for injuries)

5 minutes ago, Uddersfelt Blue said:

Off topic but nice to see Brentford concede a penalty and have a man sent off at Watford. Identical to the penalty incident when Lenihan was sent off. Funny that Brentford weren’t too happy with the officials. Karma

Spoke too soon! Penalty of their own now and 1-1. Toney now two goals ahead of Arma. Arma will be out to beat his Bristol City away shot record tomorrow now! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

Yes he was another in the big Al mode a true English center forward, strong and direct but could do a bit of everything.