BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City v Rovers (a) Sat. 19th Dec. 3pm

Raising a glass.

Sooner or later we will beat a club above us.

Prefer it to be sooner at Stoke.

They too have their best player out long term but our's is only a few weeks away from being back. Not seen much of Stoke but Campbell was looking one hell of a player. Otherwise another tough Championship side with no particular traits looking either outstanding or particularly weak.

I hope Mowbray rotates Johnson and Douglas out after last night. Holtby and Rothwell have to start- I like the idea of Rothwell further forward in place of Gallagher.

Fingers crossed Armstrong has a mature performance which includes "assist" in his repertoire.

As in every game we need a front foot start. Only Preston have seen us stay on the front foot for 90 minutes- was that a one off or can we do it again?

• Like 1

Any chance BB will be back for this one? I dont think it is any coincidence that we have struggled with this formation since he has been out. We have missed his ability to drive forward with the ball. Cannot believe I am even saying this to be honest.

• Like 5

I know what to expect so i'll take a point now.

You keep thinking sooner or later we'll hit a bit of form and get onto one of the little winning runs that gets everyone dreaming again. Strange season this one though so maybe they are a thing of the past, Armstrong is almost single handedly stopping the death spirals but the flat track bullies have left town as well.

Lets hope it's one of those mad Championship freak covid season results again.

Stoke 1  Rovers  4

34 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Any chance BB will be back for this one? I dont think it is any coincidence that we have struggled with this formation since he has been out. We have missed his ability to drive forward with the ball. Cannot believe I am even saying this to be honest.

Yea it’s ridiculous how much Gallagher is a poor man’s Ben Brereton these days.

I hope it doesn’t take him too long to get back up to speed because it’s a tricky role for a big lad, and his feet/footwork/dribbling at times this season created chances and goals.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JBiz said:

Yea it’s ridiculous how much Gallagher is a poor man’s Ben Brereton these days.

I hope it doesn’t take him too long to get back up to speed because it’s a tricky role for a big lad, and his feet/footwork/dribbling at times this season created chances and goals.

And if he doesn't do that, he wins a lot of fouls. 

Night and day the BB of before and the BB of this season. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

And if he doesn't do that, he wins a lot of fouls. 

Night and day the BB of before and the BB of this season. 

The reason for that I think is game time since end of last season, hence why I’m hoping he gets back up to speed quickly.

Stoke have back to back 0-0s so maybe they’ll get a hat trick !

Be interesting to see how they get on in this game, Stoke struggle against teams like Rovers, as in teams who have a lot of the ball, they aren’t scoring much at the moment, so they’ll probably bag 4 against us!

Be interesting to see how Rothwell plays, as Stoke are interested in signing him in the summer, their manager is a big admirer of him, not that they are any better than us.

I've gone back through Stokes' Whoscored and it seems they have played 4231 last six games or so, which makes me feel more confident as that suits us. Four at the back suddenly means our front three get loads of room and we generate a lot of chances...

That said they could change up - they played 343 earlier in the season - and I am sure they will be thinking about it when they go through the videos of our games...

I am banging on about it but we need at least the option to change our system when it is as clear as day it's isnt working as it was for the whole of last night's game.

So assuming Stoke go 4231 I would go

Kaminski

Nyambe. Lenihan.   Ayala.   Bell. 

Holtby.   Trybull    Rothwell 

Elliott.    Armstrong.   Dolan 

If they change up and go 343 I would change the system to 

Kaminski 

Lenihan.   Ayala .  Williams

Nyambe.   Holtby.  Rothwell.   Downing

Elliott     Armstrong.   Dolan.

We would only need to bring on Downing and Williams to shift systems.

• Like 1

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Douglas

Holtby Trybull Rothwell

Elliott Armstrong Dolan

Team picks itself for me personally. I'd bring Downing on for Holtby later on in the game. Gally for Armstrong and not out wide. 

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I find it amazing that nobody on this board ever picks Bucko to start, but Mowbray does. Clearly out of his depth at championship level. Is he Mowbray's illegitimate son?

Your irrational dislike of Buckley is now lending itself towards the realms of weird. Barely a thread goes by without you mentioning him. 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Kaminski

Nyambe Lenihan Ayala Douglas

Holtby Trybull Rothwell

Elliott Armstrong Dolan

Team picks itself for me personally. 

Pretty much agree with this, not seen much of Stoke this year so no idea on how they shape up, I'd imagine Mowbray will go with Gallagher over Dolan for 'physicality' (not that I think SG has much myself). 

Outside of the obvious starters I think Ayala has to keep his place and Trybull should come in for Johnson (passenger for 4 or so games in a row). LB - who knows!

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

How can it be irrational when he plays instead of better players and does bugger all....are we a charity?

Well, he has started one game in 12 (probably more if you can be bothered to go back) which leads me to believe you are talking out of an irrational dislike for him.

Coming on as a substitute is a basic requisite for player development. He is the best midfield prospect in the club and is seeing game time as he should. 

• Like 1

• Backroom

We look knackered and aren't playing well at all. We can get away with it against teams like Rotherham and Millwall, but O'Neill's Stoke will punish us if we once again turn up looking like we've just staggered out of the nearest pub. 

Heart says we reverse our performance level and mental block versus teams above us and grab a 2-1 win (little chance of a clean sheet) but head says 2-0 loss and an easy afternoon for Stoke. 

Changes needed. We got away with one against Rotherham

Kaminski

Nyambe - Lenihan - Ayala - Bell

Holtby - Trybull - Downing

Elliott - Arma - Gallagher

Rothwell to absolutely come on at some point. He provides us with a drive nobody else can from midfield. Think he and Johnson need a rest. Firstly they are looking jaded and secondly it's only going to be a matter of time until one of them breaks down and we'll all be criticizing Mowbray for overplaying them. Hope the 3 in the middle work together. They are probably our 3 most comfortable players holding the ball. Think they need to be more compact and work as 3. Hunt in packs, push us up the pitch. In games we've struggled to dominate the distance between our midfield 3 has been ridiculous. It's no wonder we continue to pass it back to our centre backs, there are no other options. 

Keep Gally in for his height when defending corners but definitely don't want to see him given the same amount of minutes as against Rotherham. We are a team of midgets without him.

Douglas for me has lost his place rather than Bell winning it. He needs to sit out for a few weeks and make sure he is ready when the chance comes to win it back. Bell is poor. Douglas has been significantly worse though. Something I did not think I'd be saying.  

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

How can it be irrational when he plays instead of better players and does bugger all....are we a charity?

It isn't irrational.

I think Buckley is so woefully out of his depth it's untrue.

You see real maturity, ability and impact with 17 year old Harvey Elliott whilst 21 year old Buckley, IMO, wanders around lost like a 16 year old schoolboy and has virtually zero influence / impact on a game.  The contrast could not be more stark.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 8