BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Stoke City v Rovers (a) Sat. 19th Dec. 3pm

Disappointed to get nothing from the game. We didnt created many clear chances but lacked ideas in the final third. 

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I dont get how Stoke didnt deserve the win. The game did become played solely in their half but obviously that was as a result of their early lead. They managed the game brilliantly and at no point did we ever appear to be about to score. They allowed us to pass it around in front of them and we never had the guile, the craft or the invention to break them down and even create decent chances, never mind score.

1 shot on target. Scored then looked to defend for the rest of the game. Never looked to push on for second. Very similar to how O'Neill managed at Northern Ireland. Credit to him. 

I am disappointed by our lack of creativity in final third and its costing despite our possession stats. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Disappointed to get nothing from the game. We didnt created many clear chances but lacked ideas in the final third. 

1 shot on target. Scored then looked to defend for the rest of the game. Never looked to push on for second. Very similar to how O'Neill managed at Northern Ireland. Credit to him. 

I am disappointed by our lack of creativity in final third and its costing despite our possession stats. 

Means SFA.

Would settle for 30% possession with a 2-0 win ala Spurs against Arsenal two weeks ago.

Even you must now admit Mowbray is not the man.  Almost half a season gone and no win against a top half side.  Injuries are irrelevant, all teams have them.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Well, a disappointing day, and we must improve soon, which means Dack, Brereton an one of the defenders returning.  What an absolute shower Stoke were.  Desperate.

and we couldn't beat them so wtf does that make Mowbray and Rovers!?

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

They're also five points ahead of us in the table.

Little something called organisation goes a hell of a long way! 6 shut outs in 7 for Stoke. O’Neill would seem to be doing a Hughes with them - not pretty to watch but starting from the back and getting results. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Not good enough yet again. Our record v the top half cannot be defended, and we can not defend in general, you do not get anywhere conceding goals in basically every game.

Plenty of looking down on how Stoke played, which is baseless snobbiness. Never ever did we look like scoring, Stoke played the game perfectly to ensure that their win was never in doubt, which is why they are in the play off picture and under Mowbray, we wont be.

Performance wise, Nyambe was the pick of the bunch. Douglas I thought was better than usual, unlucky not to score and tidy enough, but hes not going to improve our goals against column. Johnson looked out of place for the first few minutes and they scored during that time, after that, him Lenihan and Kaminski could have gone home.

Trybull was a bit tidier, Holtby and Rothwell again flattered to deceive, they simply do not do enough to guarantee selection and are lucky that there isnt much pressure, and indeed that Mowbray doesnt think Downing fits with "how we want to play." When Dack is back I would suggest a change in formation with an acceptance that the current style hasnt improved us. Elliott obviously on a different level, Gallagher shocking and Armstrong quiet.

The substitutions were bizarre and seemed like they were done for the sake of it. Butterworth and Dolan didnt impact the game, the latter rarely does, he is still very raw. Taking off Nyambe was just absolutely bizarre.

If Mowbray is to be believed, we are going on a journey, but it isnt anywhere productive.

Brilliant post.

People looking down their noses at Stoke need to really think about whether they’d rather be dragged kicking and screaming to get in and around the top 6, defending proficiently and winning games narrowly, OR finish somewhere between 9th and 14th playing “nice football”, which roughly translates to ball retention above all else.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Little something called organisation goes a hell of a long way! 6 shut outs in 7 for Stoke. O’Neill would seem to be doing a Hughes with them - not pretty to watch but starting from the back and seeing results. 

Spot on.

I've always maintained that Mowbray, IMO, has never demonstrated as Rovers' manager that he can sort out and organise a team to defend.

A team defends from front to back with all players knowing their role - Spurs are an excellent example of this under Mourinho. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The most important thing is the result which was never in doubt. They scored early and changed the game, always had us at arms length, they had no need to provoke an expansive game. If that was us and we won like that, you would be correctly saying its the result that matters. We didnt create a good chance all game. They are also missing their main 2 keepers so need to protect their young keeper recalled from a League 1 loan, are missing their 3 main CM's in Mikel, Allen and Clucas so cant control the midfield as they may have preferred and are missing Tyrese Campbell, their main threat going forward, so maybe became more pragmatic. We are missing players and blame it to the hilt but they were equally depleted.

Snobbiness towards other styles is totally unconstructive and bizarre, they won, we lost, end of.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Even you must now admit Mowbray is not the man.  Almost half a season gone and no win against a top half side.  Injuries are irrelevant, all teams have them.  

I haven't changed my view on Mowbray. I would give him the season and review in the summer. Nothing has changed my view so far. 

35 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The most important thing is the result which was never in doubt. They scored early and changed the game, always had us at arms length, they had no need to provoke an expansive game. If that was us and we won like that, you would be correctly saying its the result that matters. 

Snobbiness towards other styles is totally unconstructive and bizarre, they won, we lost, end of.

I wouldnt want to play the way Stoke are. 

I want us to play an attractive positive possession based way. I wanted us to created chances after chances. 

You wanted to play how Stoke do then fair enough. I dont. It isnt snobbiness but how I want my team to play. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

11 minutes ago, ben_the_beast said:

Stoke arent playing their way to getting promoted. They were as dire as is but just in a completely different way

11 minutes ago, Tugayisgod said:

I wouldn't and they wont

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I haven't my view on.Mowbray. I wanted him the season and review in the summer. Nothing has changed my view so far. 

I want us to play an attractive positive possession based way. I wanted us to created chances after chances. 

You wanted to play how Stoke do then fair enough. I dont. It isnt snobbiness but how I want my team to play. 

I’m hope you lads think being sincere here. I genuinely respect alternative view points even if I disagree with them. But I’ve often wondered what the pro Mowbray fans are seeing that I’m not. So I appreciate the replies or posts in as much as some of the more pro Mowbray advocates I think I finally understand what it is. Am I right in saying it’s not about results it’s about style.

So result oriented fans are tearing their hair out at stagnation or regression. And performance orientated fans aren’t overly concerned with positions so long as they’re entertained.

• Like 1

I dont care how we play,i want results that get us in the Premiership,then we can start playing fancy football if thats what everbody wants.The fact is it doesnt matter how we play until Mowbray learns how to set up a team to defend properly.We can have 70% possesion every game and play like 1970 Brazil but it means nothing if we cant defend.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, matt83 said:

I’m hope you lads think being sincere here. I genuinely respect alternative view points even if I disagree with them. But I’ve often wondered what the pro Mowbray fans are seeing that I’m not. So I appreciate the replies or posts in as much as some of the more pro Mowbray advocates I think I finally understand what it is. Am I right in saying it’s not about results it’s about style.

So result oriented fans are tearing their hair out at stagnation or regression. And performance orientated fans aren’t overly concerned with positions so long as they’re entertained.

All I know is that if we played week in, week out the way Stoke played today, ie sticking 10 men behind the ball and say "break us down" (and that's at home!), then this message board would go into meltdown even more than normsl

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I haven't my view on.Mowbray. I wanted him the season and review in the summer. Nothing has changed my view so far. 

I dont want my team to necessarily play as Stoke do. I want my team to win as many games as possible to realise their ambitions, style is not important.

We played direct football in League 1 and got promoted and I suspect that your lust for playing "attractive positive possession" based football wasnt prevalent then.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tugayisgod said:

All I know is that if we played week in, week out the way Stoke played today, ie sticking 10 men behind the ball and say "break us down" (and that's at home!), then this message board would go into meltdown even more than normsl

Only if we were languishing in mid table. If we played like Stoke every week and were top I can’t see many grumbling. 

• Like 3