BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Ben Marshall - Under The Cosh Podcast #89

53 minutes ago, tomphil said:

The stuff about the Rhodes money was common knowledge in the Rovers corridors of power at the time that's why Lambert came here.  

That's why he bailed out as well.

And yet he was pilloried by some for walking away. The errant ones reneged on a promise and a principled manager knew he couldn't work for them as he pretty much couldn't trust them.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, S8 & Blue said:

To be fair, he doesn't seem like a bad fella really, just a propensity to chat shite.

Enthusiastic but woefully, terribly, and unforgivably out of his depth above Scottish second division sized clubs.

Says he regrets taking the job, never should have, but to be fair I can't blame him for taking it. At the time he was (rightfully) on the scrapheap.

On a hiding to nothing, his last big gig, take the money, that's how it is, sadly 

I skipped quite a lot of this up until the couple of minutes he discussed Rovers. The thing that really struck me from what I did listen to was his self confidence that strays comfortably into delusion. Massively exaggerated scoring records, mentioned being an international player a lot considering he got just one cap, and basically sees himself as a world class player to this day. He’s only slightly less in cloud cuckoo land on his managerial achievements.

• Like 4

I finished Malcolm Christie yesterday. It was the best one I've listened to. I recommend it. A complete contrast from Ben Marshall and his nonchalance.

It's a 2 parter, but worth the time to listen to. He's wellspoken and has a good story to tell.

Recurring themes I've noticed whilst listening the podcasts are the unscrupulous nature of agents, the ruthless sometimes petty nature of clubs, and the selfishness of football managers.*

I'll give the Owen Coyle one a miss. I'm not interested in what he has to say, regardless of the terrible job he did at BRFC.

*after reading that sentence it is very pro player; not unexpected for a podcast interviewing former players. For some balance the podcast also illustrates that a good portion of footballers - especially during their playing years - are extremely immature, make bad decisions, listen to the wrong people, and have no idea that there is a world out there.

Edited by speeeeeeedie

4 hours ago, speeeeeeedie said:

I finished Malcolm Christie yesterday. It was the best one I've listened to. I recommend it. A complete contrast from Ben Marshall and his nonchalance.

It's a 2 parter, but worth the time to listen to. He's wellspoken and has a good story to tell.

Recurring themes I've noticed whilst listening the podcasts are the unscrupulous nature of agents, the ruthless sometimes petty nature of clubs, and the selfishness of football managers.*

I'll give the Owen Coyle one a miss. I'm not interested in what he has to say, regardless of the terrible job he did at BRFC.

*after reading that sentence it is very pro player; not unexpected for a podcast interviewing former players. For some balance the podcast also illustrates that a good portion of footballers - especially during their playing years - are extremely immature, make bad decisions, listen to the wrong people, and have no idea that there is a world out there.

Todays was David stockdale the Fulham and Birmingham keeper. He has an attitude like Christie, you just know he was a good lad and what he says is true . If you enjoyed the Malcom Christie one this one’s for you to. Talks a lot about how badly treated he was at Birmingham and it’s pretty appalling tbh the things the club did to him

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Todays was David stockdale the Fulham and Birmingham keeper. He has an attitude like Christie, you just know he was a good lad and what he says is true . If you enjoyed the Malcom Christie one this one’s for you to. Talks a lot about how badly treated he was at Birmingham and it’s pretty appalling tbh the things the club did to him

I'll give it a listen. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 28/10/2022 at 10:17, Oldgregg86 said:

Not a lot rovers related and featured towards the end.

Owen, whilst over hyping his own ability and achievements, talks about how the owners treated Paul lambert.

He says Paul was promised the Jordan Rhodes money plus an additional 20 million (maybe where the war chest comment came from) and after Jordon was sold was told there would be no money and it was about cost cutting and claimed similar happened to him. 

Be interested in peoples opinions on what he said

it around the hour and half point

Sacked 6 years ago today…What a truly awful appointment! 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Oldgregg86 said:

Danny Simpson was in this week, not listened yet so don’t know if there is any mention of his limited time here

He was terrible for Rovers so I doubt he'll say much. 

Another podcast I listen to is on hiatus so I've listened to a few of these lately, and I try to go with those who have Rovers connections.

The David Stockdale one was, as you recommended, very good. 

Stuart Downing was excellent. They don't get many players on who played at the top. Downing seemed like a down to earth lad. The hosts turned into fans rather than ex-players with him. 

Craig Hignett was well spoken and had some good stories. Another who came across very well.

Luke Varney - another Venky's era signing who did not much of anything for Rovers. He seemed like a bit of a plonker.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, JacknOry said:

That picture sums him up. A fat beer-loving bloke that is good at football. Had the talent but didn't wanna work for it. 

There have been soooo many like that it's sad but at least this lad seems to have had wise people around him to invest his money.

Although Marshall was a decent player here i'm so glad the club have moved away from those drinking culture obsessed types.

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
5 hours ago, JacknOry said:

That picture sums him up. A fat beer-loving bloke that is good at football. Had the talent but didn't wanna work for it. 

I know someone that knows him well, trust me- there’s a lot more to it than that.

It’s more along the lines of why David Bentley packed it in, than anything.

I respect his honesty in basically admitting he didn't enjoy it and couldn't be arsed with it once he realised he'd never make the Prem.  

Can't respect throwing talent and opportunities away and treating playing for the mighty Rovers like some kind of well paid hobby though.

End of the day some just aren't cut out for it i suppose and despite what we think as fans it's a very demanding industry and money ain't the be all and end all.

• Backroom

Marshall contributed more than most during the Bowyer years, so I don't really have an axe to grind with him. If I was a Wolves or Norwich fan, on the other hand, I might be more annoyed. As far as Norwich are concerned though at least he cancelled his contract rather than sit on it for four years contributing nothing. 

Edited by DE.
  • Like 2