BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Transfer Evaluations

So it's about this time of year that I evaluate our new signings and the manager's nous in the transfer window. Half a season seems a fair crack of the whip for players to bed in and show their ability or lack thereof. The last few years TM has come out very much 50:50 with great signings vs clangers. Perhaps this year may avoid some of the latter. Here goes.   

Kaminski - 9

Great singing. I mean in comparison to Walton most players would look good but even so he looks very comfortable and fits the style of play well. He's the right age and the fee was reasonable too. Slight reservations he may revisit kicking his team mates genitalia which probably wouldn't do much for team spirit but so far he's done well. 

Pears - 3

The Middlesbrough welfare fund continues, with this keeper. The plusses, he's not Walton or Leuts, and he's young so will develop. That said paying a fee for a second keeper seems a bit of a waste to me, he is blocking the Greek lad's progress (who on paper looked promising). There's also the minor detail that he didn't look that convincing when he played. Waste of a transfer imo. 

The Greek ad whose name escapes me - N/A

Hasn't played. Shame as on paper looked to have potential. Either he or the Pears signing seems very pointless. 

Ayala - 6

If it was solely on ability he'd be probably a 7 or 8 as in most games he has looked pretty solid. However, when you have a couple of other injury prone defenders on the books, signing another is not the smartest of news and has led to difficulties. Still it wouldn't be Christmas if Rovers weren't struggling for defenders. 

Douglas - 2

I think TM makes a lot of clangers in the transfer market but I do feel he has been unlucky with left backs. On paper both Bell and Douglas were astute signings. 2 promotions in 2 years suggests Douglas has something about him. The reality is that he has looked way out of his depth and just as bad as Bell, which is an achievement in a perverse kind of way. Doesn't help that having little cover from his front man at times and the system doesn't suit him, but that makes the transfer ever more of a mistake from TM. 

Trybull - 5

Really not sure where to call this one and am open to suggestions. Compared to Travis a massive downgrade. Compared to Evans he's streets ahead and not just because he's mostly fit. A tidy player but not one that imposes on games. The most positive thing I can say is that we needed another DM/CM with Travis injured, and he's filled that slot. 

Downing - 6

Brought in a bit late, and really would have liked to see another defender instead. He has looked decent when he has played though, and so perhaps more of a success than not since re-signing. May well have to revisit his left back role given the other options. 

Elliott - 9

Only problem is it's a loan. That said we'd never be able to buy him. Been very impressed with ability and attidue - goals, assists and width. Great signing. 

Dolan - 8 

Scoring a bit higher than his impact (which is probably a 6 or 7) as he was got on a free and also is pretty young so will only get better. Very astute signing, regardless of whether it was by error or design.   

So this year TM to me comes out average, 8 signings with an average score of 6. Again, like most years under TM it seems to be boom or bust, although the notable clangers are fewer than previous years. Again there is the common theme of not enough cover for the defence, and one astute signing per year (Kaminski, Tosin) is not going to be enough in terms of quality or quantity. In fact it seems pretty familiar to last year - some good, some clangers, and not enough work on the defence. Think that may well remain till TM goes. 

Would be interested in other's thoughts.  

• Like 3

I think being 50/50 in the transfer market is pretty decent in the modern era. Even the best drop clangers and some of the worst pull off the odd cracker.

I'd have TM as slightly above average as i think it's one of his best attributes. Such fine lines with it all as although i wouldn't have signed him even Gallagher looked ok business at 3 mill down plus add ons.  Tony's main problem is what he signs not who, by that i mean we needed defenders he signed a striker.  We need another goal poacher and still need center backs but he signs midfielders The keeper pool was neglected until it became desperate, then he signs 3 at once !!!

His actual signings on paper both loan and perm always look like they have a lot to offer but they aren't always what we need.

Kaminski - Very shrewd addition from left field. Huge upgrade - 9/10

Pears - Doesnt seem like competent back up and for a fee too, questionable - 4/10

Ayala - Undoubtedly a very good Championship defender on his day but as a sole addition at CB, with his injury proneness, a disappointment so far. Not convinced the style we play is beneficial to him - 5/10

Douglas - A huge disappointment so far. A second attempt at putting a plaster over a long term weakness with Bell not a viable alternative - 4/10

Trybull - Ok, nothing special, squad player - 5/10

Downing - Possibly gets into our best 11 but Mowbray seems to think that he isnt in contention to start games, plus he was signed after the main games in which we missed a few players, so he was signed after the main time in which he was needed - 4/10

Dolan - I still am unconvinced that he is at first team level, beyond raw, but made a couple of crucial contributions early in the season, on a free and perhaps thrust in quicker than expected - 6/10

Elliott - Inspired loan signing and pleasure to watch - 9/10

The squad is stronger but we are achieving essentially identical results.

Edited by roversfan99

• Backroom
2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Kaminski - Very shrewd addition from left field. Huge upgrade - 9/10

Pears - Doesnt seem like competent back up and for a fee too, questionable - 4/10

Ayala - Undoubtedly a very good Championship defender on his day but as a sole addition at CB, with his injury proneness, a disappointment so far. Not convinced the style we play is beneficial to him - 5/10

Douglas - A huge disappointment so far. A second attempt at putting a plaster over a long term weakness with Bell not a viable alternative - 4/10

Trybull - Ok, nothing special, squad player - 5/10

Downing - Possibly gets into our best 11 but Mowbray seems to think that he isnt in contention to start games, plus he was signed after the main games in which we missed a few players, so he was signed after the main time in which he was needed - 4/10

Dolan - I still am unconvinced that he is at first team level, beyond raw, but made a couple of crucial contributions early in the season, on a free and perhaps thrust in quicker than expected - 4/10

Elliott - Inspired loan signing and pleasure to watch - 9/10

The squad is stronger but we are achieving essentially identical results.

I know you aren’t his biggest fan but 4/10 for Dolan? A lad who is probably earning about 7 Freddos a week with 3 goals and a couple of assists already? 

• Like 3

Kaminsky - massive upgrade on Walton but then anyone would be. Not convinced he's as good as Raya but good signing 8/10.

Pears - looks poor. 3/10.

Greek keeper - what's the point? Impossible to rate.

Douglas - extremely disappointing given all the hype before he arrived. Looks a busted flush and not as good as Bell on current evidence. 3/10

Ayala - good when he plays but is his heart in it? My mate's son says Boro fans reckon he always used to go AWOL around Christmas. 7/10.

Trybull - completely pointless player and signing imo. No wonder Norwich wanted him off the wage bill. 3/10.

Downing - another completely pointless signing and waste of a wage 4/10

Dolan - cracking player and signing, a real bonus. The manager seems to be doing his level best to marginalise and ruin him right now. 8/10

Elliott 9/10 obviously a great talent but like Tosin before him not our player so we have to take advantage of our talented loanees for the time we have them otherwise ultimately whilst the player might do very well individually, unless we get promoted the signing can't be viewed as a particular success from the Club's point of view, it's just dead money and you're back to square one the following season.

So two or three real successes in there, pretty good by Mowbray's standards considering how poor he has been in the market prior to that. Despite the upgrade in personnel however, he is still unable to get any sort of consistent tune out of the team.

• Backroom
1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

My mistake, I meant a 6, was a mistype!

That’s fair enough ha ha, I’d probably be more generous myself but I think it’s fair to have questions over his long term impact

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Kaminsky - massive upgrade on Walton but then anyone would be. Not convinced he's as good as Raya but good signing 8/10.

Pears - looks poor. 3/10.

Greek keeper - what's the point? Impossible to rate.

Douglas - extremely disappointing given all the hype before he arrived. Looks a busted flush and not as good as Bell on current evidence. 3/10

Ayala - good when he plays but is his heart in it? My mate's son says Boro fans reckon he always used to go AWOL around Christmas. 7/10.

Trybull - completely pointless player and signing imo. No wonder Norwich wanted him off the wage bill. 3/10.

Downing - another completely pointless signing and waste of a wage 4/10

Dolan - cracking player and signing, a real bonus. The manager seems to be doing his level best to marginalise and ruin him right now. 8/10

Elliott 9/10 obviously a great talent but like Tosin before him not our player so we have to take advantage of our talented loanees for the time we have them otherwise ultimately whilst the player might do very well individually, unless we get promoted the signing can't be viewed as a particular success from the Club's point of view, it's just dead money and you're back to square one the following season.

So two or three real successes in there, pretty good by Mowbray's standards considering how poor he has been in the market prior to that. Despite the upgrade in personnel however, he is still unable to get any sort of consistent tune out of the team.

Harsh on Trybull and Downing. Trybull is far better than Evans and that's what we needed. I think he will go on and improve even more. I would probably go with him , Travis and Rothwell if all fit. 

Same with Downing, I mean he showed enough first spell and even this spell that he's worth having around.

A bit high on Doan, but agree with the rest 

• Like 1

• Backroom

Kaminski - 8 - solid signing, great price. Can't complain.

Pears - 1 - might seem harsh, but a 4 year contract for a below average keeper we didn't need makes this a terrible signing in my book.

Greek lad - N/A, why sign him if we were also going to sign Pears?

Ayala - 6 - looked okay when fit, but hasn't been fit all that often and was hoping for better than just 'okay'. 

Douglas - 2 - what a disappointment. So slow.

Trybull - 6 - don't think he's been that bad. Marginal improvement on Evans. 

Downing - 5 - having to bring back Downing, as professional and versatile as he is, smacks of a failure to address the squad properly during the summer.

Elliott - 8 - clearly has all the tools to be a top player in the future, but for me not yet at a Dack level where he can regularly win games for us by himself even when the rest of the team is labouring. With that said I wouldn't expect that from a 17 year old anyway. We're fortunate to have him and it's a shame his time with us will be remembered largely as part of another redundant Tony Mowbray campaign.

Dolan - 8 - showed he has some huge potential early on, but still some way to go to be a regularly effective player. An absolute steal on a free though.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Been Mowbrayed

Yep drilled out of him it's a modern way, he isn't an academy robot that probably explains why he has a bit of individuality.  However doesn't sit well with the games textbook manual coaches and all their badges.

No wonder the game is so stale and methodical.

• Like 1

Has he stopped? Even in the first half of the reserves when watching last night, a couple of times he tried step overs, more often than not he does numerous step overs without getting anywhere so its a sign of how raw his game is which is to be expected, an area that requires refinement and to be used more efficiently. Tricks are obviously a part of his game though so its getting the balance right between encouraging him to be positive and discouraging him from over-doing it, but I havent really noticed any signs that he has been "Mowbrayed."