bell

lenihan 

Johnson

gallagher 

evans

holtby

Players I’d sell

armstrong 

would sell Armstrong and gallagher to fund a Dwight Gayle or similar and a Curtis- as he can actually play on the wing which gallagher can’t. 
armstrong is a decent finisher but there is a good few in the champ I’d rather have over him.

gallagher is never going to be the player I’d hoped we signed in the Ricky lambert, dean ashton, Glenn Murray type of effective champ striker. I know playing on the wing doesn’t help but still, he isn’t that

• Like 1

Good target man. Here's one that comes to mind, David McGoldrick, no world beater, but was class at this level. Actually wins the ball, holds it up and gets others involved. He isn't pushed off it easy and doesn't try and take on the entire defence with pointless runs and shots. To be fair ,he scores a few too. 

We are too predictable ,tapping it around waiting for what to happen I do not know. We won't even get the ball in from the edge of the box unless we are losing in injury time. Teams know this now. Dack and Brereton will open things up a bit more and hopefully Armstrong gets back amongst the goals too. I still think we need a physical presence up there though. 

Nobody should get offended or their knockers in a twist because our top scorers contribution is questioned to a small degree. 

Just now, den said:

Rovers IMO need a centre forward. There’s nothing in the area, everything is played outside it. It’s far too easy for opponents to line across the edge of their own box and keep rovers out there.

There never has been Den. It's the Mowbray way. There is so little creativity that there is no point going in the box, the ball never arrives. No wingers on adds to the problem. 

We are a counter-attacking team that daren't get men forward in case we're counter-attacked ourselves. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

How much you lose betting on Rovers ? 

Lost today Jim, got to take the rough with the smooth.

Up until a couple a weeks ago, Rovers were making me plenty.

This season, my net position with Rovers is +£478 - not to be sneezed at.

Merry Christmas!

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

Lost today Jim, got to take the rough with the smooth.

Up until a couple a weeks ago, Rovers were making me plenty.

This season, my net position with Rovers is +£478 - not to be sneezed at.

Merry Christmas!

I said on here in midweek that today would be 1-1 and I backed my hunch with a chunky bet

And I've often waited for your predictions and done the opposite, and done well  too

I'm up £8,787 so far this season.

Happy New Year!

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Wycombe and Coventry were so naive. Didn't one of them get their centre half sent off for exactly this? 

Teams have clearly figured out how to play against us  to stop us 

100% it’s easy to see.

We don’t cross the ball, we are poor in the air, we can’t do set pieces.

Sit tight and take your chances, and you will get a result off us.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

There never has been Den. It's the Mowbray way. There is so little creativity that there is no point going in the box, the ball never arrives. No wingers on adds to the problem. 

We are a counter-attacking team that daren't get men forward in case we're counter-attacked ourselves. 

Without that big guy up front you don’t win the flick ons and you don’t turn defences. Defenders don’t like running towards their own goal. If you don’t have the big guy up front holding the ball up, you don’t get numbers forward quickly either. These are big things missing from our game, but we all know that don’t we?

Edited by den
  • Like 3

Tis the season to be jolly - so the positives - Rothwell goal was absolute class, Dack looked sharp, Brereton adds a different dimension to Gallagher (could have been a penalty for shove in back). Armstrong looked sharp and unlucky not to score. Overall we deserved to win - but (ignoring Ayala giving him so much space) they did score a very good goal.

I’ve always given Mowbray the benefit of the doubt but there’s no way we are ever getting promoted from this league with him at the helm. If we make a change now we’ve plenty of games left to get in to the top six, I appreciate what you’ve done TM but it’s time to go. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, den said:

Without that big guy up front you don’t win the flick ons and you don’t turn defences. Defenders don’t like running towards their own goal. If you don’t have the big guy up front holding the ball up, you don’t get numbers forward quickly either. These are big things missing from our game, but we all know that don’t we?

can`t remember the last time we turned a  defense round and got behind them,should be easy with someone holding the ball up and the pace outwide in our side,easiest thing for two centre backs is to defend facing forwards,mowbray being a centre back surely should know that

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

100% it’s easy to see.

We don’t cross the ball, we are poor in the air, we can’t do set pieces.

Sit tight and take your chances, and you will get a result off us.

In our half and pretty much middle 1/3rd of the pitch I think teams are happy just to let us have the ball because they know we’ll not do much with it. Worryingly I think the manager is happy with it as well because at the very least possession is one of the ways he justifies the detritus that’s unfolding. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

can`t remember the last time we turned a  defense round and got behind them,should be easy with someone holding the ball up and the pace outwide in our side,easiest thing for two centre backs is to defend facing forwards,mowbray being a centre back surely should know that

You're talking about a former centre back who can't get his team to defend.

31 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But thats the thing. He doesnt have  9 goals, he has 15. If he had scored 9, which would be not a bad tally, but people would naturally question his contribution a lot more than if he is the second top scorer. I dont understand why you think that is illogical.

He has always been greedy, goalscorers often are. Against Bristol City he was particularly poot but it was one game so to start implying that it has impacted on morale or making out as if that game was normal for Armstrong is totally unfair.

Hes in poor form in 6 games with only 1 goal and I havent seen anyone denying that but you are definitely underappreciating the number of goals hes scored and seem desperate to discredit him. It would be incredibly difficult to replace a striker scoring goals at the rate that he is.

Desperate to discredit him? Jesus man, relax, you're losing the run of yourself in an attempt to defend any criticism

Just like having more possession doesn't win you anything, neither does having the top scorer if he is for himself too much. Another striker could bring more goals out of others. There have been numerous examples where Armstrong could have played someone in a better position in.  I don't think Dack will shy away from telling him that he needs to pass if he continues doing what he has been doing for a few games now. It all started with that game against Bristol city where he took on more pointless shots that I can remember, with teammates in better positions. A game we ultimately lost and the defence basically got all the flak for off some. It's clear to see though I'm not the only one who notices this. Armstrong is a funny one, there is has just always been something about his body language on the field too. Ever since League 1. I would say sulky. If he's scoring great, but I do standby the observation his goals have been mostly from penalties and against 3 teams we steamrolled. Now hopefully he makes me eat my words and starts sticking in worldies every week again like he has done in bursts in the past. Can he do that playing centre forward? Doesn't look like he gets the space.  

How many games would you give him without a goal before you would be happy to see someone else given a go there? 

We have too much talent to be where we are. If the goal is to stay in 10th-14th place, it appears Rovers are on the right track. 

Let’s see Dack, Ben & Arma in the same starting lineup for 3-4 games. If we don’t start winning and moving up the table, I’d agree a change is in order. 

• Like 1

Armstrong is the focal point of our attack, we have most possession in every game and have had the 2nd highest number of shots in the league. Something is malfunctioning and to me it looks like his link up play is a part of that. Clearly not the only thing, but you shouldn't be shot down or scoffed at for suggesting that it's an issue. 

Anyway, Holtby and Johnson were shite too. Gallagher, well that goes without saying. Elliott still looked decent, as if he wanted to move us forward, even though it was poor by his standards. I said it already, but I'll say it again, Holtby epitomises us at the moment, need , tidy but no end product to hurt the opposition.

After so much early promise, things have stalled, badly. Dack and BB back now though, so the cycle goes on and it's the hope that gets ya.  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 hour ago, Kie_BRFC said:

Don’t patronise me. You’re digging out a player who’s performed out of his skin this season, over other players who consistently let the team down. He’s not the perfect striker by any means, and if he was he wouldn’t be here.

Every player has there value, but I wouldn’t look forward to watching tony try and spend a few million to replace him and end up with another donkey like Sam or Venkys pocket the money

Nobody has " performed out of their skin " for Rovers this season. That's the problem.

35 minutes ago, den said:

Anybody watching the " Nostalgia " thread ? Just look at the difference Mike Newall made to the way we were playing.

• Like 2