BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Rovers vs Owls Boxing Day 3pm through a Socially Distanced Looking Glass

2 hours ago, matt83 said:

It will be interesting to see when things return to normal. I think after the novelty of the first 5 or so home games has worn off we could even be down as low as 7-8,000 if swag and Mowbray are still ruling the roost. But they’ll both say ain’t us governor it’s covid that’s done it. Perfect crime. Plus can’t do the usual trick of count absentee season higher holders when there’s only 2,500 of them. 

I was texting my youngest son after the game. He usually sends me his opinion after watching our games. His reply tonight was - " I didn't see it, we watched Villa and Palace ". That's a Rovers fan of 30 years and my grandson who's also started out as a fan.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

I said on here in midweek that today would be 1-1 and I backed my hunch with a chunky bet

And I've often waited for your predictions and done the opposite, and done well  too

I'm up £8,787 so far this season.

Happy New Year!

Good stuff Jim!

I'll send my bank details so you can deposit my 10% commission of £878.70 into my bank!

Hope the New Year is even more profitable for you. 

So frustrated and disappointed tonight. We had plenty of possession but little to show for it.

I don’t know what’s happened to Douglas as there’s little threat from his side and his set pieces haven’t come off at all. Gallagher was poor today. He is really suffering from a lack of confidence; perhaps his injury can take him out of the firing line.

I think my biggest disappointment was that Tony Mowbray couldn’t find a way again to counter the defensive set up of the opposition. He must have known what was going to happen but maybe he expected more from Elliott and Holtby to unlock their defence. I actually thought Downing was much more effective and he deserves a run in the team now.

Rothwell’s goal was tremendous and he is becoming a very important player for us.

Everyone else about average in my opinion. We need a good win and soon  to get the confidence back.

38 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

You're talking about a former centre back who can't get his team to defend.

and can`t exploit defenders weaknesses either,even a former pub player like me can tell you that it`s a ******* nightmare having to deal with forwards and wingers trying to get behind you,defending in front of you is easy,every team in the division has got us sussed out,sit deep and and they`ll struggle

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was texting my youngest son after the game. He usually sends me his opinion after watching our games. His reply tonight was - " I didn't see it, we watched Villa and Palace ". That's a Rovers fan of 30 years and my grandson who's also started out as a fan.

Thats just weird. Villa and Palace is hardly a worldie game 🤣

• Like 5

We were woefully inadequate all over the pitch as we really struggled to play with any tempo or control. Our passing game of earlier this season has regressed massively and we currently look like we couldn't pass water. Wednesday, as with most recent opponents had the measure of us and defended deep and in numbers content to pass it around in non threatening areas. It's almost ridiculous to say that we aren't even in January and it seems our season is over but that's how I feel.

I'm worried that we are now pinning our hopes on Dack as other players are struggling for form. I don't think we'll see the best of him for some time by which time we will be anchored in mid table obscurity.

• Like 3

Our movement in the final third is absolutely abysmal. Armstrong in particular is just not very clever with his timing and body positions. It’s the reason we break down. 
Someone mentioned earlier, we desperately need a target man, as there is zero threat for crosses. Opposition has sussed that out now. Everything is through the middle.

Looks like a return to the 4-5-1 is in order, as the 4-3-3 just isn’t working, and coupled by the Dack return it makes sense.

Someone mentioned earlier 4/5 games to get it right, I would agree with that. 

@Huddersfield

@Birmingham

Doncaster cup

H-Stoke

H-Swansea

I want at least 6 points and the cup win. Otherwise it’s time for a change.

Get Bell back in for gods sake.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I wish we had other players whose goal to shot ratio was masked by being the 2nd top scorer in the league.

It’s a fallacy.

First, unless he scores he doesn’t contribute - in fact he takes something away. Rhodes was far more clinical and was slated on a weekly basis.

Second, yes, we need another player who scored goals regularly. Whether a terrible strike rate or not. At the minute one player is hogging the chances. Gallagher and Brereton aren’t the answer and we could have brought in an experienced Championship goalscorer to partner him, and had change!

Third, it isn’t just about the player, it’s the system. Armstrong wasn’t nearly as prolific when Dack was in the team. Similarly, if Armstrong left, another player would take his place and be the leading scorer.

We do however need a system which regularly brings other players into goalscoring positions. I thought we had someone in Dolan but it seems Mowbray doesn’t trust him. At the moment of teams stop Arma they stop Rovers. But for a moment of unscripted brilliance we would have lost 1-0. I honestly couldn’t see where a goal was coming from.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s a fallacy.

First, unless he scores he doesn’t contribute - in fact he takes something away. Rhodes was far more clinical and was slated on a weekly basis.

Second, yes, we need another player who scored goals regularly. Whether a terrible strike rate or not. At the minute one player is hogging the chances. Gallagher and Brereton aren’t the answer and we could have brought in an experienced Championship goalscorer to partner him, and had change!

Third, it isn’t just about the player, it’s the system. Armstrong wasn’t nearly as prolific when Dack was in the team. Similarly, if Armstrong left, another player would take his place and be the leading scorer.

We do however need a system which regularly brings other players into goalscoring positions. I thought we had someone in Dolan but it seems Mowbray doesn’t trust him. At the moment of teams stop Arma they stop Rovers. But for a moment of unscripted brilliance we would have lost 1-0. I honestly couldn’t see where a goal was coming from.

Ya, I don't get the comparisons with Rhodes. Completely different situations. Simply, Rhodes far more prolific, less mobile,yes, but also far better at shot selection. If there was a prize for hitting defenders with shots, the competition would be over by now and Armstrong would have his award at home. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Desperate to discredit him? Jesus man, relax, you're losing the run of yourself in an attempt to defend any criticism

Just like having more possession doesn't win you anything, neither does having the top scorer if he is for himself too much. Another striker could bring more goals out of others. There have been numerous examples where Armstrong could have played someone in a better position in.  I don't think Dack will shy away from telling him that he needs to pass if he continues doing what he has been doing for a few games now. It all started with that game against Bristol city where he took on more pointless shots that I can remember, with teammates in better positions. A game we ultimately lost and the defence basically got all the flak for off some. It's clear to see though I'm not the only one who notices this. Armstrong is a funny one, there is has just always been something about his body language on the field too. Ever since League 1. I would say sulky. If he's scoring great, but I do standby the observation his goals have been mostly from penalties and against 3 teams we steamrolled. Now hopefully he makes me eat my words and starts sticking in worldies every week again like he has done in bursts in the past. Can he do that playing centre forward? Doesn't look like he gets the space.  

How many games would you give him without a goal before you would be happy to see someone else given a go there? 

Ive been consistent in saying that his performances recently have not been of the very high standard hes set himself. The Bristol City one was probably the worst, the defeat wasnt solely down to him and suggestions that it has damaged morale, that he was playing up to the cameras etc were a total overeaction but of course we have suffered because our prolific goalscorer is not on top form. But as far as im concerned, his performance level defined by his goal output this season and this year does indeed give him a little more scope for patience because he has been so good for us. By all means criticise his recent form but talk of dropping him, selling him while we can, of him being easily replacable, conspiracy theories about why he is taking so many shots (he is a striker so a level of selfishness is natural) are all unnecessary.

Armstrongs whole demeanour changed when he moved from playing out wide to being central, he has been a different player.

Regarding your last question, the fact that the only alternative is Sam Gallagher, I would probably be especially patient with someone who keeps scoring so many goals that he could return to scoring ways. That being said, for a player who has a longest goal drought of 3 games in 2020, it goes against reasonable evidence that he will go on a massive run without a goal and of course if the goals stopped then its different.

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

It’s a fallacy.

Rhodes' goal record was brilliantly consistent over numerous years but in 2020 since he moved centrally Armstrong has scored goals more regularly and at a faster rate even than Rhodes is. The key is to maintain it. I would potentially say that with his pace, and with his ability to score from range, Armstrong has a wider skillset. I always defended Rhodes and always will because hes a goalscorer. Its the same with Armstrong since he moved centrally, scoring goals at such a rate for me gains goalscorers more patience during a rare and/or belated dry patch which all strikers go through, if they score goals at a rate of

Another player will at some stage take Armstrongs role in the team, I would be pleasantly surprised if he scored to the same extent because Armstrong has scored more than all but one. I have always felt in recent years that goalscoring has become an underappreciated skill, especially when a striker sets such a high standard as Rhodes did which meant that some people took the goals for granted and looked for flaws especially physically, he wasnt fast, strong etc but his main skill was in his brain which is the case with all goalscorers. Selfishness is a trait within all goalscorers.

I would play Dack as a 10 behind Armstrong once the former is fully fit. Not only would that couple 2 goalscorers but it would also allow Dack to slip Armstrong through on goal.

Bright side... perhaps we are only a few weeks away from this XI:

Kaminski

Nyambe - Lenihan - Ayala - JRC

Dack -     Travis    - Rothwell

Elliott -        Armstrong       - Brereton

... On the not so bright side, 5 of those XI listed are out of contract in June 🥴

Edited by Angry_Pirate
  • Like 1

Moggasaurus vs Stoke:

“It was a game where we were pretty dominant from start to finish but we’ve come away with no points,"

Mowbray reflected after the game. “It’s been a frustrating day for us. 

“They had a throw in, nobody reacted, the ball went in and it was a goal from nothing really.

“We were against a team that we felt we should be beating, just as we did when we went away to Bristol.

“Teams are banking up with lots and lots of bodies behind the ball these days.

“Possession doesn’t mean a lot in football, we’re dominating a lot of games but we have to finish moves off and score goals.

“Maybe it was a day for someone like [Bradley] Dack, someone who can stick a ball between the legs and curl one into the top corner, someone with that bit of individuality.

“If we’d have got one then we might have got four or five today," he added.

“I can’t remember Stoke getting over the halfway line in the final 20 minutes, we had a lot of the ball, but we just couldn’t break them down."

Moggasaurus vs sheff wed:

They stick a lot of men behind the ball, they make it really hard for you, but we gave them a goal.

“We have them the goal, they didn’t have to work for it and it gave them something to hold onto.

“It feels really harsh, it feels really tough, but you’re not given anything in football.

“You have to keep working at it and to find the answers.

“It took a bit of magic from Rothwell to break the lines and score for us," he said.

“You could see the impact (Bradley) Dack had, one touches, round the corner, and if his flick hadn’t hit Armstrong on the chin, he’d have been in one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

“(Ben) Brereton maybe should have scored, we hit the post, but we’re left frustrated."

26 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Bright side... perhaps we are only a few weeks away from this XI:

Kaminski

Nyambe - Lenihan - Ayala - JRC

Dack -     Travis    - Rothwell

Elliott -        Armstrong       - Brereton

... On the not so bright side, 5 of those XI listed are out of contract in June 🥴

I make it 3 (Nyambe, JRC, and Elliott) plus Rothwell with the club having a one year option. 

2 minutes ago, alcd said:

I make it 3 (Nyambe, JRC, and Elliott) plus Rothwell with the club having a one year option. 

Obviously Elliott goes.

Sure JRC be sorted, if not does anyone really care other then he was in our academy.

Fingers crossed on Nyambe, like I said before if he doesn’t sign its on him, he plays every week no doubt we want him.

36 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Ive been consistent in saying that his performances recently have not been of the very high standard hes set himself. The Bristol City one was probably the worst, the defeat wasnt solely down to him and suggestions that it has damaged morale, that he was playing up to the cameras etc were a total overeaction but of course we have suffered because our prolific goalscorer is not on top form. But as far as im concerned, his performance level defined by his goal output this season and this year does indeed give him a little more scope for patience because he has been so good for us. By all means criticise his recent form but talk of dropping him, selling him while we can, of him being easily replacable, conspiracy theories about why he is taking so many shots (he is a striker so a level of selfishness is natural) are all unnecessary.

Armstrongs whole demeanour changed when he moved from playing out wide to being central, he has been a different player.

Regarding your last question, the fact that the only alternative is Sam Gallagher, I would probably be especially patient with someone who keeps scoring so many goals that he could return to scoring ways. That being said, for a player who has a longest goal drought of 3 games in 2020, it goes against reasonable evidence that he will go on a massive run without a goal and of course if the goals stopped then its different.

Rhodes' goal record was brilliantly consistent over numerous years but in 2020 since he moved centrally Armstrong has scored goals more regularly and at a faster rate even than Rhodes is. The key is to maintain it. I would potentially say that with his pace, and with his ability to score from range, Armstrong has a wider skillset. I always defended Rhodes and always will because hes a goalscorer. Its the same with Armstrong since he moved centrally, scoring goals at such a rate for me gains goalscorers more patience during a rare and/or belated dry patch which all strikers go through, if they score goals at a rate of

Another player will at some stage take Armstrongs role in the team, I would be pleasantly surprised if he scored to the same extent because Armstrong has scored more than all but one. I have always felt in recent years that goalscoring has become an underappreciated skill, especially when a striker sets such a high standard as Rhodes did which meant that some people took the goals for granted and looked for flaws especially physically, he wasnt fast, strong etc but his main skill was in his brain which is the case with all goalscorers. Selfishness is a trait within all goalscorers.

I would play Dack as a 10 behind Armstrong once the former is fully fit. Not only would that couple 2 goalscorers but it would also allow Dack to slip Armstrong through on goal.

Not exactly against all evidence if you look at the rest of his career, but you seem to have focused on the last 12 months ,from 2 separate seasons only. Which is a bit blinkered,but how and ever. 

Hopefully his drought doesn't go on too long and that he starts passing instead of taking hail Mary shots at every opportunity. I am certain his teammates have said this to him already. So should be all good.