BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

Couldn't find a thread where we could speculate / discuss who would / could take over from Tony.

Goes without saying we have to upgrade and thats dependant on who we could get.. 

The obvious candidate is Bilic but I would also seriously consider Pearson.  Actually Pearson would probably be my preferred candidate.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Couldn't find a thread where we could speculate / discuss who would / could take over from Tony.

Goes without saying we have to upgrade and thats dependant on who we could get.. 

The obvious candidate is Bilic but I would also seriously consider Pearson.  Actually Pearson would probably be my preferred candidate.

Not a Bilic fan.  Think WBA limped over the threshold into PL.

Think Pearson would be a decent appointment.

Wouldn't give Damien Johnson the opportunity.  IMO, doesn't have the dynamism and drive we need.

Sadly, think our owners will be looking at a 'B list' and managers such as Pearson, Howe etc will be financially out of our reach.  A manager makes or breaks a club and the penny doesn't seem to have dropped yet with our owners.

Consequently, I think we could do worse than give Paul Cook a shot at it.  Been successful wherever he's managed and moved clubs forward - a bit nasty with loads of passion and drive.  Not my first choice but with owners like ours that's the level where I think we are.  Would be, IMO, a huge improvement on Mowbray.    

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 6

Would love the likes of Eddie Howe but unlikely. The Cowley Brothers are free agents and would be happy with them.

I'd be tempted to look at Gareth Ainsworth as a Blackburn lad who has done absolute wonders at Wycombe. He'd no right getting them into the Championship at all, but they've been slowly improving and are only four points behind Derby County and Notts Forest. He'll get them in a relegation scrap that they have no business being in on a threadbare budget.

• Like 2

One of Mark Hughes, Tony Pulis or Nigel Pearson would be my preference. But you'd also hope Mr Waggott is doing his job properly and will also also be looking at what we could bring in from overseas for example I had never heard of the Reading or Barnsley managers until they appointed them but both are doing excellent jobs so far. 

We could certainly do a hell of a lot worse than Paul Cook and he would improve us straight away as he would sort out the defence. 

Finally if you want to go down the route of a young up-and-coming manager then someone I'm a big admirer of is Michael Flynn at Newport, he's worked wonders there the last few years on a small budget. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 1

I'm not paid £300,000 a year so haven't been able to go away and research options in depth and scour the globe for candidates. But 10 minutes on my laptop in bed leads me to plenty of names who have been around the Championship, Premier League and Football League over the last 3-4 years who have better records or bigger achievements than Mowbray. 

Pulis, Hughes, Pearson, Bilic, Cowley, Cook, Wagner, Stendel, Carvalhal, Poyet, Sousa, Petrescu, Oscar Garcia. So there's 12 names I've just come up with off the top my head or doing a google search. All available, and I'm sure most would be very interested in the job here. 

That's a search limited to people with past connections to England and currently unemployed (apart from Carvalhal) with a decent track record. That's before looking further at in work managers here or overseas.

Out of those I'd personally avoid Pulis, Pearson and Cook. I think Pearson, whilst entertaining, would be a disaster waiting to happen here with this lot. Pulis is too extreme and whilst he'd do a job and get results I'd avoid him with the personnel we have and position we are in. Cook is horrible although i can see the logic there. I'd also tread carefully with Hughes and have to listen to him in interview. If he really wanted the job and wanted to rebuild his career then maybe but I wouldn't go to him cap in hand or persuade him to take it. I'd also like to know what he'd do with his coaching staff given they are now spread all over the place.

Bilic would be up there on my list but doubt he'd come here unless we paid him very very well. Cowley would be interesting and I would hope possesses the hunger and ambition to take us forward, rather than slouching in his chair picking his ears or walking around with his head in his hands. 

Of course the way we get a top manager is to promise them a massive bonus for promotion. The naysayers will cling to the idea that we are a skint lower league operation unable to afford a change but there are different ways to skin a cat and a £2 million bonus for promotion is one way of enticing a top manager here.

We've already missed the boat on Mick McCarthy and Neil Warnock who were both available recently. One now managing abroad and the other taking Middlesbrough towards the play-offs in his first season. Both would have joined us earlier this year.

If we were astute and clued up we would also be monitoring the situations with Wilder at Sheffield United and Bruce at Newcastle and preparing to move quickly for those when they leave their current positions, likely to be quite soon. But that would require a plan and forward thinking and opportunism. Last seen at this club about 25 years ago.

It's all a pointless discussion but it is necessary because there are still the fools who convince themselves that Tony Mowbray really is the best manager in the world for Blackburn Rovers and we simply can't hope for any better. That's why names above need to be trotted out because he really isn't the best we can hope for.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 9

Matt Jansen? Oh please he did great at CHORLEY but then bottled it! As a Rovers hero of the past I do not want him back at Ewood managing. 

If we are looking at the lists the Hughes fits the bill but could he work at the club that has changed so dramatically since he was last here? Yes he has talent at his disposal but no money for tinkering. Same goes for Pearson and Bilic.

For me, as much as I hated him at bumley and wiggin, Cook is the ideal candidate and I base that in what he did with wiggin. He instilled a work ethic, will to win or to avoid defeat with players who would run through walls for him! That is what we want at Ewood.

• Like 1

If we fancy a chance of promotion ASAP: Wagner, O'Neill (as in the Stoke manager), Hughes, Jokanovic, Billic, one of the 20 Italian or Spanish managers that managed Watford in the last 5 seasons.

If we want to go down the 'budget route' and still have a shot soon: Robins, Cook, Cowley brothers, Pearson, Stendel, one of the other 20 Italian or Spanish managers that managed Watford in the last 5 seasons (I forget which ones were better than the others).

Edited by Norbert Rassragr
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

One of Mark Hughes, Tony Pulis or Nigel Pearson would be my preference. But you'd also hope Mr Waggott is doing his job properly and will also also be looking at what we could bring in from overseas 

I'd wager that Swag doesn't even consider there's a problem and that any positive action would have to come from above his head from India on this.

I'm with JH Rover on this, we need a change NOW to try and salvage the rest of the season. Get Bilic or Pearson in on a short term deal until the end of the season with a massive bonus for promotion like Allardyce gets for saving Clubs from relegation.

If we were going for a longer term option straight away and the above wouldn't come permanently, I'd be tempted to look at the Cowleys they'd probably walk here on their hands and knees.

• Like 1

If promotion is a serious objective, then Slavisa Jokanovic should be our number one target. He got Fulham promoted under similar circumstances. They were 12th at Christmas when he took over and still made the top 6. Also he was sounded out by Venkys when they approached Lambert. Failing that David Wagner would be a excellent upgrade. Both unlikely though  under Venky rule.

A left field appointment would be Caleb Porter, who has an great record of winning with smaller budgets / bring through youth all be it in MLS and US national team.

Cheap option would be Cowley brothers or Carlos Carvalhal?

Ultimately though, we will never achieve real success, until we have owners who care about Blackburn Rovers and are visible day to day running the club locally, with it’s best interests at heart. Rather than just a play thing occasionally prodded with a stick from a far. 

• Like 7

I see Cooks name being mentioned a lot. Not sure really. He got Wigan promoted from league one, when Mowbray took us up and then only had Wigan 18th the following season, even Mowbray managed to get us to 11th.

Last season they were pretty dreadful until they hit that amazing run of form, even then they only managed  15 wins, which was 2 less than Mowbray with us. Even adding the 12 points back on they would have only made it to 59.

I doubt he'd be much more of an improvement, if at all.

Edited by davulsukur
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

I see Cooks name being mentioned a lot. Not sure really. He got Wigan promoted from league one, when Mowbray took us up and then only had Wigan 18th the following season, even Mowbray managed to get us to 11th.

Last season they were pretty dreadful until they hit that amazing run of form, even then they only managed  15 wins, which was 2 less than Mowbray with us. Even adding the 12 points back on they would have only made it to 59.

I doubt he'd be much more of an improvement, if at all.

and look at the comparative resources!!!  For a start, Cook didn't have £12million+ to spunk up the wall on two strikers and what he did there was really quite remarkable.

Go beyond that - Cook did well at Stanley in extreme circumstances and took both Chesterfield and Pompey up.  Wherever he's managed, he's been successful and moved clubs forward and hence he's moved up the managerial ladder.

Think Mowbray was on the scrapheap when he came here having bombed at Celtic, Coventry etc. 

If our owners were more savvy then there might be better options out there.  However, where we are with ownership etc, I'd take Cook every second of the day over Mowbray.

• Like 1

@Miller11did a post a few weeks/months of potential shortlist of the agency we have used for the 4 managers appointments. 

These are managers currently with HSH...

Steve Cooper

Mark Robins

Craig Bellamy

Gary Holt

Tony Pulis

Graham Wesley

Micky Mellon

Dave Challinor

Dean Keats

Tony Philliskirk

People mention Jokanovic but he is managing in middle East on big wages. Leaving that job for here? 

Bilic isn't coming here unless we are pay him big money and his staff. Ain't happening. 

Pearson could have come after Bowyer but wasn't interested then. 

Is Carvalhl managing Braga in the Portuguese top league and currently 4th in league. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

People mention Jokanovic but he is managing in middle East on big wages. Leaving that job for here? 

Bilic isn't coming here unless we are pay him big money and his staff. Ain't happening. 

Is Carvalhl managing Braga in the Portuguese top league and currently 4th in league. 

What about the other 9 names I suggested after a quick google search? Are they all unobtainable or unaffordable too?

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Given that no-one predicted any of our last 7 managers, it’d be a lot more interesting to list likely next managers rather than desired ones. I’ll punt a mercer on our current U-14s manager, whoever that is.

Chris Beech from Carlisle? 

The trouble is we all know at a normal club aspiring to promotion, TM would be under pressure. But alas pigeons take time to reach Pune and you are right Exiled as who knows, who they will appoint next. This aspect is the worst part theVs have brought to rovers, uncertainty, detachment and helplessness. 

We will see what happens. 

Edited by Ulrich

If you read my post, I only suggested Jokanovic and Wagner if promotion is the objective. Yes, a proper manager would cost serious money, but still a lot less than Brereton or Gallagher, which puts it into perspective.

The agency list is pointless, as who’s to say what people are advising them? And just because they use a certain agency for player recruitment doesn’t mean they would for managers? Complete guess work with Venkys.

• Backroom

Top of my list would be Bilic by a country mile. 

If he is out of reach then I'd be tempted to go for Coleman at Stanley. He is a perfect fit for them and didn't do great at Rochdale but with the miracle (no exaggeration) he's performed at Stanley I think he deserves a shot at a bigger side. 

26 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

@Miller11did a post a few weeks/months of potential shortlist of the agency we have used for the 4 managers appointments. 

These are managers currently with HSH...

Steve Cooper

Mark Robins

Craig Bellamy

Gary Holt

Tony Pulis

Graham Wesley

Micky Mellon

Dave Challinor

Dean Keats

Tony Philliskirk

You still giving Mowbray until the summer Chaddy?

• Like 1