BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

3 hours ago, Blue n whites said:

He deserves to get to the end of the season. No one could change my mind on that. Were a few wins from getting in the top 6 and a few loses from having a terrible season. 

For the first time since he has been manager I think he is under achieving, but that doesn't destroy all the good will he has from me.

Amen brother.

No new manager will suddenly get us up, considering despite what fans want to believe, the squad are all bought into Mowbray.

See where we finish, if no good, change it in summer.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Amen brother.

No new manager will suddenly get us up, considering despite what fans want to believe, the squad are all bought into Mowbray.

See where we finish, if no good, change it in summer.

It doesn't matter what you think or hope will happen. We always let in around 60+goals this season, maybe more and not less.  This means we can't be promoted.  If you want promotion the only way that will happen is if we change the manager for one that puts defending at all costs as his main priority.   My view is that by the time Mowbray gets the defence right all our good attacking players will be playing for other teams.  It has to be now, we have the firepower and Mowbray is wasting it by not complimenting it with a proper defence.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

It doesn't matter what you think or hope will happen. We always let in around 60+goals this season, maybe more and not less.  This means we can't be promoted.  If you want promotion the only way that will happen is if we change the manager for one that puts defending at all costs as his main priority.   My view is that by the time Mowbray gets the defence right all our good attacking players will be playing for other teams.  It has to be now, we have the firepower and Mowbray is wasting it by not complimenting it with a proper defence.

We are half way through season today.

If we match goals for and against for second half, that’s puts us 5th based on last seasons table.

Irrelevant stat, but so is thinking sacking our back room staff and bringing in new people will suddenly stuck us in play offs.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

If we match goals for and against for second half, that’s puts us 5th based on last seasons table.

Irrelevant stat, but so is thinking sacking our back room staff and bringing in new people will suddenly stuck us in play offs.

I think we might have our best goals against number this season under Mowbray but it won't be in the 30s or early 40s where it needs to be.  

I think a new emphasis is required and now is a good time. Pearson is my choice.

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

And if we pick up points at the same rate we'd have finished 10th 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Venkys can wait.

Its fans like you who demand urgent action.

Do you honestly think Pearson comes in and up we go? What changes?

Yes I honestly think Pearson stands more chance of getting us promoted any season.  This season we just happen to be scoring freely and he could get us into the play offs...that's my opinion.  Or we can just plod on with nice guy Tony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes I honestly think Pearson stands more chance of getting us promoted any season.  This season we just happen to be scoring freely and he could get us into the play offs...that's my opinion.  Or we can just plod on with nice guy Tony.

So imagine a work place, which one guy assembled, and all the staff love him, and believe in him, and then you boot that guy mid season and just expect a new guy to make them all better.

Could work, but risky, very risky, for a team NOT in crisis.

Whats nice guy Tony about? He booted out player favourites Smallwood and Mulgrew. He got rid of Raya. He sent Chapman packing. 

(And on a side note for Chapman, let’s quash the Mowbray bashing on him. He signed the guy twice, he wanted him to succeed, the guy is clearly a **** or not good enough, and 20’min cameos in league1 is nothing to adhere).

6 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

So imagine a work place, which one guy assembled, and all the staff love him, and believe in him, and then you boot that guy mid season and just expect a new guy to make them all better.

I'd expect him to replace the defenders with competent ones move us up the table, get promoted at some point and all the staff are millionaires.  Wouldn't be a difficult sell unless the staff didn't want to progress.  Then they would all be managed out of the business and replaced with staff that want what the paying customers want.

You make it sound like a feckin holiday camp and it is.

Edited by Sparks Rover

5 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

I'd expect him to replace the defenders with competent ones move us up the table, get promoted at some point and all the staff are millionaires.  Wouldn't be a difficult sell unless the staff didn't want to progress.  Then they would all be managed out of the business and replaced with staff that want what the paying customers want.

You make it sound like a feckin holiday camp and it is.

So replace Nyambe, Williams, Lenihan (Internationals), Ayala, Bell, Douglas, Wharton.

Our budget was 1.3 million remember. All gone.

No manager is replacing that, on zero budget in January.

So let Mowbray see the season out.

32 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Venkys can wait.

Its fans like you who demand urgent action.

Do you honestly think Pearson comes in and up we go? What changes?

See I don't agree on this. Venkys might be willing and able to play the slow game and wait in the hope we eventually evolve into a promotion achieving side. They seem to have the cash reserves but little other of the ingredients needed - plan, interest, structure. But history under these owners would suggest that they move in cycles and the indicators would point towards us nearing the latter stages of the latest one. Sooner rather than later they may well give up on keeping our best players or backing the manager with competitive resources for signings or insist on sales to plug losses and then begins the slippery slope from the relative stability we have now. We know this because this is exactly what happened in year 3 of the Bowyer era after 2 years of propping up the squad and funding decent signings.

If the above is a false alarm and they are happy to indefinitely retain our best players or invest all sale proceeds into new ones and keep stumping up £15-20 million per year then I'd be very pleasantly surprised. If I believed that we had the luxury of bundles of time on our side to incrementally improve and develop then I'd be less worried (though would still question the benefits of keeping a manager who won't change his approach).

In the event I'm correct as above then I'd sooner move heaven and earth now to try and get promoted rather than go through another 2015-17 experience of slashing costs, watching the squad be dismantled and watch us slide back to League One. If that means making a ruthless yet calculated change so be it. I'd sooner do that and upset Mowbray but have a chance of promotion than do nothing and squander our best and possibly only chance.

• Like 6

Who knows what our owners think, It’s all guess work.

Since Mowbray has come in, I’d say they have been brilliant. Could that change tomorrow? Absolutely.

My un-educated feeling is they have realised we need to go up for them to get their money back, and they banking on Mowbray from trust he’s built.

But **** knows

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Why is it risky? We're crap, we don't have much to lose.

Why is it alright to be plodding around in lower midtable under Mowbray but any new manager needs to "comes in and up we go"? At least a new manager gives us a small chance of promotion. Mowbray has shown time and again that he's not up to it. If the manager is the right appointment, then why wait? If they don't go up this season then he's in a perfect place for next year, he'll know the squad and how they play much better than if appointed in the summer.

Be as deferential as you wish, but Mowbray's managerial history shows he hasn't got it to take us any further, as does his time at Rovers. He's done well to bring us here, his time is up, we need a new infusion. Someone to take us onto the next level. Not a risky proposition at all, we safe in mid-table. 

Only risky for those desperately deferential types who can't move with the times. Some people can't adapt to the reality of now, desperately clinging to the good times, like when we were smashing Wycombe for six and Coventry for five.

Mowbray's failed once again to get us into the promotion mix, time to go. Any delay is just wasting time. Now is the perfect time to bring new ideas in, get a new manager in and allow him some influence in this transfer window.

Not that it'd happen, but it should be "Cheers Tony, thanks for what you've done. But, you're not the best Rovers can do now." All good things come to an end. 

That's what would happen...under a normally-run club, at least.

8 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Are you 9? To put the owners and brilliant together suggests you only know Venkys.

Asking if I’m 9 says more about you pal.

Since Mowbray came in Venkys have been great. Your anti Mowbray every week so assume also anti Venkys.

The wage budget they let us have in league 1? The investment in the squad for a team like us? Yes they have been brilliant. 

Sorry if you still live in Jack Walker Premier League bubble, have a look around.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Since Mowbray came in Venkys have been great. Your anti Mowbray every week so assume also anti Venkys.

The wage budget they let us have in league 1? The investment in the squad for a team like us? Yes they have been brilliant. 

Sorry if you still live in Jack Walker Premier League bubble, have a look around.

I'll leave it at that.  👍

I also disagree with Wood 26. I feel that this summer could lead to another case of us selling our better players, or them leaving as they're out of contract and another cost cutting run. To just blindly assume JRC, Nyambe, Armstrong, Dack and Holtby will just stay here and have another season of playing for a badly set up team if or when teams with genuine promotion hopes, or a Premier League team is bordering on deluded. 

As for Venky's being brilliant, well for Mowbray they have been-him and his mates run the place now, and let him plod along after spunking millions. Obviously 10th in the championship is a great achievement for some, as good as 10th in the Premier League.

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

So you forgive Venkys for ruining this club for years to come? We’ve lost 10,000 fans who have fell out of love with football and will probably never return full time again regardless of what league we’re in. They’ve give Mowbray a bit of cash to spend, fair play to them for that, or maybe more fool them because he’s spent that cash and still has us miles away from finishing in the top six. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if Mowbray was to go tomorrow and don’t get me started on the Chicken Farmers, they ruined the club I love. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Butty said:

So you forgive Venkys for ruining this club for years to come? We’ve lost 10,000 fans who have fell out of love with football and will probably never return full time again regardless of what league we’re in. They’ve give Mowbray a bit of cash to spend, fair play to them for that, or maybe more fool them because he’s spent that cash and still has us miles away from finishing in the top six. I wouldn’t lose any sleep if Mowbray was to go tomorrow and don’t get me started on the Chicken Farmers, they ruined the club I love. 

Firstly my post was about the present, not the past.

But yes I forgive them, not the type to hold a grudge forever.

Lost 10,000 fans? No we didn’t. We lost 10k people who pop by Ewood if they fancy it, like Oxford at home.

Don’t give a **** about that lot. I follow Rovers through it all, not just when it’s a good day out.

30 minutes ago, Wood26 said:

Firstly my post was about the present, not the past.

But yes I forgive them, not the type to hold a grudge forever.

Lost 10,000 fans? No we didn’t. We lost 10k people who pop by Ewood if they fancy it, like Oxford at home.

Don’t give a **** about that lot. I follow Rovers through it all, not just when it’s a good day out.

For me you can't forgive Venkys for what they did by dismissing it as being in the past.

I have no reason to doubt that you love the club so it puzzles me that you can readily forgive them for their crass, destructive disregard for it.

• Like 3

• Backroom
6 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Whats nice guy Tony about? He booted out player favourites Smallwood and Mulgrew. He got rid of Raya. He sent Chapman packing. 

(And on a side note for Chapman, let’s quash the Mowbray bashing on him. He signed the guy twice, he wanted him to succeed, the guy is clearly a **** or not good enough, and 20’min cameos in league1 is nothing to adhere).

After giving them unnecessarily long contracts/extensions without any real foresight. Ditto Ben Gladwin and Sam Hart.

• Like 1

If they are such ‘great’, ‘optimum’ owners why is the biggest reservation of the likes of phil, Wood et al on the issue of TM going always; ‘I’m really worried who Venky’s would replace him with’

?

Edited by Mattyblue