BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

18 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

That's Bilic ruled out. Gone to China for a couple of seasons...

I don't blame him. Gone to China to avoid this awful COVID.

Edited by bazza
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Get the Barnsley manager in.. he would jump at the chance to join us! 

‘Don’t be silly we’re only little Blackburn Rovers, good managers won’t come here, we won’t do better than Mowbray’.

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Get the Barnsley manager in.. he would jump at the chance to join us! 

Not just him, the Reading manager would jump at the chance of joining us too based on how he spoke about us. There will be plenty of other managers too. Mowbray has conned many fans into thinking we are some small time outfit lucky to be in the Championship. "This is our level", "Who can do a better job than Mowbray?". Absolutely infuriating bullshit. The man has zero ambition, no winning mentality and no desire to get to the Premier League, yet people are fooled into giving him more time until the summer, give him till December etc. He is never going to get us where we need to be, no matter how long he is given.

• Like 3

On 09/01/2021 at 17:05, Darwen Rover 007 said:

Give Johnson the gig till the end of the season, see what he can do... and if not happening appoint an established leader at this level.

Mowbray is not the leader to push boundaries.

Damien Johnson is NOT a manager. We'd be better sticking with Mowbray than offering Johno the job!

Suggestions that he is are absolute bonkers!

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Damien Johnson is NOT a manager. We'd be better sticking with Mowbray than offering Johno the job!

Suggestions that he is are absolute bonkers!

He has done his time here, as player and coach.  Surely the next step is to promote him to first team manager at least until the end of the season.  Asses how he does, relationships with the squad, tactical nous etc.

Shall we just train him up and let someone else get the benefit?.  I don't think we have anything to lose by getting shut now and letting him have a go. 

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

He has done his time here, as player and coach.  Surely the next step is to promote him to first team manager at least until the end of the season.  Asses how he does, relationships with the squad, tactical onus etc.

Shall we just train him up and let someone else get the benefit?.  I don't think we have anything to lose by getting shut now and letting him have a go. 

I’m not overly keen on the idea of Johnson as manager, I’d rather someone who’s more proven, BUT like you say, no harm him having it till the end of the season, our seasons finished anyway so if he comes in now and shows some promise he can get the job, if not then he can move on at the end of the season, I have no problem with that. 

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

He has done his time here, as player and coach.  Surely the next step is to promote him to first team manager at least until the end of the season.  Asses how he does, relationships with the squad, tactical nous etc.

I accept that could well be an option: short term caretaker role until the end of the season, with an option to make it permanent should he prove to be successful and retention as First Team Coach, should he not.

My opinion was merely based on observations from the few occasions that I have actually met Damien. I don't feel his personality lends itself to being 'Gaffer'.

To use a simple logistics analogy: Very often, an excellent delivery driver is promoted to a position of a supervisory/managerial role based upon their abilities as a driver, without much thought being given to their skillset as being suitable to manage people. Clearly it's very different from being a highly skilled and competent driver.

More often than not, nobody gives the new appointee any support or guidance in the new role and they fail unsurprisingly in the majority of cases.

Given that our scenario is not dissimilar, who is going to give Damien the necessary support and guidance he would undoubtedly need to make the transition from coach to manager? Should he fail, and I suspect he would, does he then become the 'next Gary Bowyer' and have to leave the club after many years of excellent service?

8 hours ago, Butty said:

I’m not overly keen on the idea of Johnson as manager, I’d rather someone who’s more proven, BUT like you say, no harm him having it till the end of the season, our seasons finished anyway so if he comes in now and shows some promise he can get the job, if not then he can move on at the end of the season, I have no problem with that. 

I would prefer more experience til the end of the season. I couldn't see Johnson getting us promoted. This is a job for someone who can come in and get players motivated and driven quickly. Johnson is a bit too close to the current regime. I would like him to stay around though. 

4 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Given that our scenario is not dissimilar, who is going to give Damien the necessary support and guidance he would undoubtedly need to make the transition from coach to manager? Should he fail, and I suspect he would, does he then become the 'next Gary Bowyer' and have to leave the club after many years of excellent service?

Easy, Duffer as assistant,  Shay as goalie coach and Souness as DOF.  END OF.

• Like 3