BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

20 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Did he not manage the Academy teams?

Completely different gig Hoochie, you're right though.

I'm not saying he may not be ultimately capable but just to dump him into the position, without the requisite support and guidance (learning the ropes of managing highly entitled men if you like) would be planning to fail in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

With what? A manager is a manger, regardless of level. You need the same skills. Ask Brendan Rodgers. 

It's not. One involves pressure,real pressure and scrutiny. Media obligations, dealing with high paid professionals, not kids. Playing against kids. Come to the real world man. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Gerrard has done ok at Rangers....he had the academy teams at Liverpool before.

That's Steven Gerrard. His mere presence would get players to play for him. Of course it helps to have those foundations of coaching and managing, but it's a completely different situation managing a senior team. I meantion a few reasons above. 

I would prefer an experienced manager If we do make a change til the end of the season. Johnson would be straight in the deep end with no senior management experience. It would be a huge ask. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not. One involves pressure,real pressure and scrutiny. Media obligations, dealing with high paid professionals, not kids. Playing against kids. Come to the real world man. 

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were involved in professional football. I thought you were just a fella who called people 'twats' on a MB and got away with it.

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

That's Steven Gerrard. His mere presence would get players to play for him. Of course it helps to have those foundations of coaching and managing, but it's a completely different situation managing a senior team. I meantion a few reasons above. 

I would prefer an experienced manager If we do make a change til the end of the season. Johnson would be straight in the deep end with no senior management experience. It would be a huge ask. 

Steve Cooper, Brendan Rodgers, Jose Mourinho etc etc etc etc. They all coped. Not being a well known name appears to be fairly irrelevant. Lots of well known names have failed. Oh, it must be to do with the quality of the individual and their capabilities as a manager, rather than their prior ability on the pitch. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to be a big Johnno fan but his stock has fallen in my eyes since he's allowed himself to be sidelined in his new role as chief drone pilot and football bean counter. It says a lot about his ambition, or lack of it. Whatever he's doing now,  it isn't working.

I think we need to look elsewhere in my opinion.

He's appears to be working more as a technical coach as far as I understand it. Until he's in the manager's  role it isn't possible to say how he'll do. 

3 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

He's appears to be working more as a technical coach as far as I understand it. Until he's in the manager's  role it isn't possible to say how he'll do. 

Do we look well coached individually and collectively to you ? We look like a group of lads who've just come for a trial game to me. We look like we've never played together before.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I used to be a big Johnno fan but his stock has fallen in my eyes since he's allowed himself to be sidelined in his new role as chief drone pilot and football bean counter. It says a lot about his ambition, or lack of it. Whatever he's doing now,  it isn't working.

I think we need to look elsewhere in my opinion.

Johnson role is 1st team technical coach. He also does alot of 1 on 1 training with the players. Plus individual video analysis work. 

3 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Do we look well coached individually and collectively to you ? We look like a group of lads who've just come for a trial game to me. We look like we've never played together before.

No idea if they've improved technically, hard one to judge. That's his remit, not coaching the team. 

13 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

Mark Hughes ready to return to management after a break.

Here the BBC article on this..

Mark Hughes re-energised and confident of management return - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55691203

When he does return it will be interesting if he will bring Bowen and Niedzwiecki with him on his staff or use different staff. 

13 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realise you were involved in professional football. I thought you were just a fella who called people 'twats' on a MB and got away with it.

Steve Cooper, Brendan Rodgers, Jose Mourinho etc etc etc etc. They all coped. Not being a well known name appears to be fairly irrelevant. Lots of well known names have failed. Oh, it must be to do with the quality of the individual and their capabilities as a manager, rather than their prior ability on the pitch. 

Literally thousands for those 3 who didn't make the step up or failed in doing so. I gave you the reasons why it's not the same. It's not complicated. 

Anyway, Steve Cooper bit of an upgrade to name him with the other 2 don't you think? You must have been stuck for names etc etc etc etc 🤣

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Literally thousands for those 3 who didn't make the step up or failed in doing so. I gave you the reasons why it's not the same. It's not complicated. 

Anyway, Steve Cooper bit of an upgrade to name him with the other 2 don't you think? You must have been stuck for names etc etc etc etc 🤣

Putting a laughing emoji at the end of your sentence doesn't strengthen your argument, quite the opposite. Cooper is relevant because we play him Tuesday. He's doing very well in his first job as a manager since stepping up  from the youth teams. That was the point in case you missed it. He appears to be coping with the pressures very well, certainly better than Mowbray, the manager you've been defending for months... up until your recent  u-turn. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Putting a laughing emoji at the end of your sentence doesn't strengthen your argument, quite the opposite. Cooper is relevant because we play him Tuesday. He's doing very well in his first job as a manager since stepping up  from the youth teams. That was the point in case you missed it. He appears to be coping with the pressures very well, certainly better than Mowbray, the manager you've been defending for months. 

The mighty Steve Cooper is your example as to why Johnson would be good? Mmm, ok. What exactly has Cooper achieved, out of interest? 

I have given you the reasons why it's not the same as managing academy players. Giving Mourinho, Rodgers and ,ahem, Cooper as examples doesn't strengthen your argument. 

I see you have gone off tanget here. Telltale sign you have lost the argument. Not that it really felt like one to begin with. 

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Here the BBC article on this..

Mark Hughes re-energised and confident of management return - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55691203

When he does return it will be interesting if he will bring Bowen and Niedzwiecki with him on his staff or use different staff. 

Thanks for the article. 

It's an interesting career as a manager. Does excellently in his first two roles but then it is very hit and miss after that. (Interestingly another ex manure player did excellently in his first 2 managerial roles but was horrific for us...)  

The Stoke, Southampton and QPR roles were all pretty poor albeit Stoke was perhaps ok for a while. I do wonder if the game has passed him by. That said I'd still take him over TM on the basis of what he had done previously with us. 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

The mighty Steve Cooper is your example as to why Johnson would be good?

Nope, you dismissed Johnno as he hadn't had to deal with the things you listed below. I gave a few examples of managers who had come from the Youths and done well. Cooper is one of them, and relevant because we play him next and he's flying high with Swansea in his first job. The things you list below have clearly been navigated quite seamlessly by Mr Cooper. As they have by Rodgers and Mourinho et al. So there's no reason why Johnno can't do well, and certainly not for any of the reasons you've provided so far. 

42 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Media obligations, dealing with high paid professionals, not kids. Playing against kids. Come to the real world man. 

Edited by Hoochie Bloochie Mama

3 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

Nope, you dismissed Johnno as he hadn't had to deal with the things you listed below. I gave a few examples of managers who had come from the Youths and done well. Cooper is one of them, and relevant because we play him next and he's flying high with Swansea in his first job. The things you list below have clearly been navigated quite seamlessly by Mr Cooper. As they have by Rodgers and Mourinho et al. So there's no reason why Johnno can't do well, and certainly not for any of the reasons you've provided so far. 

Naming 3 ,including 1 who is/was the best manager in the world doesn't add up as any kind of proof. For every Mourinho,there are literally thousands of youth coaches who don't make the step up, you do understand that, don't you? 

Working with Blackburn rovers youths , who are all scrapping to make careers for themselves and would do whatever is asked of them, with no intention of talking back, is not any indicator that he could step up to managing high paid and experienced professionals. Some of whom who have achieved more than Johnson in their careers. It's completely different. 

Cooper has done ok. Still not achieved anything concrete with one of the best squads in the championship. So jury is still out. 

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Been there, done that - " Where do you play son ? left back ? Sorry we've already got a left back, have a go a centre half. a good player can play anywhere ".

Mowbray definitely thinks that. It goes along with what I believe is his neglect of the defence. He thinks they should know who to defend because that's how it was in his day.