BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

14 hours ago, StevenSK said:

Only PL job he will get is Newcastle.

Without set up and squad and distant owners and history our club is very attractive 

Wouldn't mind betting that's exactly the job he's got his eyes on given the timing of the article and Bruce in the position he is.. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Your suggestion of whether I would be happy with Aidy Boothroyd suggests that you are pigeon-holing managers based on their source. Boothroyd was a journeyman with an underwhelming CV who I saw see a talented England Under 21 side crash out embarrassingly in the group stages under him in 2019. It is not about source of manager or type of manager, it is about individuals.

If we appointed Boothroyd as Mowbray successor this messageboard would be in meltdown within days of his appointed. 

I would agree that Cooper would have been an underwhelming appointment, but he was a well thought out one from Swansea

Cooper impressed the Swansea board with his interview and knowledge plus the level of detail presentation in his interview. He has done really well at Swansea. 

Maybe a Nigel Pearson or a Mick McCarthy will have better credentials or be deemed more suitable compared to anyone we can find elsewhere,

McCarthy last promotion from this league was 13 years ago around a similar time to Mowbray. He only lasted 9 games in last job before he was sacked. 

I dont know but we shouldnt limit our search.

I agree on this point that we shouldn't limit our search. There is around 4 or 5 managers I would interview from within the Britain. I'm not sure about any Foriegn managers as I don't follow any of it anymore including UEFA club competitions due to no interest. But if we were looking to appoint a manager/head coach from overseas I would want a Sporting Director/head coach structure. Many Overseas head coach are used to being in charge of the first team and tactics whilst a sporting director take charge of signings, contracts, etc. 

I dont like directors of football (or certainly "advising agents") because it invariably can lead to players signing for a club for whom the manager didnt want and thus doesnt play or use. I also think that at our club it provides more scope for things to go wrong, for things to become unnecessarily complicated.

alot of clubs employed Sporting Director now. Look at successful the structure at Norwich has and is currently working. 

No its doesn't lead to players being signed above the head coach if the Sporting director and head coach are in line with the way the team will play and the type of players needed. Most European clubs have them now and alot of British clubs are following suit now. Its a route I think we should consider after Mowbray leaves but it requires the owners to be in sync with in. Venkys have had Shebby, Paul Senior and Simon Hunt in sort of sporting director roles but the owners have never committed to it. 

23 hours ago, JHRover said:

With Mark Hughes it boils down to how eager he is to return to management and repair his damaged reputation or if he is happy to relax and wait for something to come along that genuinely excites him.

He's been out now for over 2 years and his last two jobs have ended in failure and the sack so the longer his absence from the game continues the more difficult it is going to be for him to get a decent job and the more likely it will become that he will be a forgotten man in management like Alan Curbishley, Alan Pardew and others. It is rare that managers come back from years out of the game and succeed.

Hughes clearly has an ego which no doubt comes from his playing days and has probably served him well. It was that ego that saw him walk away from us last time around and no doubt he would have gone sooner had an offer been made. I always had the impression he thought he was destined for much bigger and better than Rovers and yet that hasn't been the case for him.

He's going to have to accept that waiting for a Premier League job will likely see him never return to management. He might be fine with that, but if he's keen to get back into it then the Championship is going to be as good as it gets unless some foreign club take a punt (increasingly unlikely as time passes).

I think he's deluded if he thinks he's too good for a job like Rovers. A mid-table underachieving Championship club is probably the best he's going to get.

Too many folk are too negative about the offerings of Blackburn Rovers. Yes we've disinterested and clueless owners, and yes we've a bizarre structure with seemingly no investment or interest taken in the Club with any investment made just for the first team.

But there are perks to this job as Mowbray is proving by still being in it despite stagnation over more than a year.

Hughes would be worth a phone call but I wouldn't be getting on my hands and knees to beg him to return. It would simply be to ask him if he would like to be considered and to see if he fancied a crack at it and what his terms would be. If he wasn't keen I'd move on as the last thing we need is another Lambert scenario of someone here just to get their name back in the news before moving on after 6 months to supposedly better things. 

Plenty more fish in the sea.

Johnson should be a no. This club needs know-how and experience and handing it to a rookie just sets us off on another 2-3 year cycle of development and learning on the job. We are underachieving with this squad and are running out of time with it. We need someone who can come in and sort it out quickly with fresh ideas, outside eyes and a new voice for the players. That also applies to the coaching staff so Venus, Lowe and co. probably need to go as well. 

If we wanted to go down the tried and tested route then for me it would have to be a toss up between Mick McCarthy and Nigel Pearson. Those would at the very least have us in a similar position but with potential to hit the top 6. They certainly wouldn't have us any lower than we are at present.

Personally I'd rather we went on a bit more of a bold yet educated route and went for someone still up and coming but also experienced. Not a rookie but someone on an upward trajectory in the game looking for a chance to progress their careers here. Danny Cowley would fit that remit - comprehensive experience and knowledge of all leagues up to the Championship, available, done well in all his jobs and looking for that opportunity Huddersfield wouldn't give him. 

Failing that there are many other options out there worth looking into.

For those who seem to think that a managerial change is some massive gamble that we should look to avoid the answer is simple - if it doesn't work then make another change. We don't have to stick with the next manager for 4 years regardless of results. You bring someone in, give them a target and review.

The other way of doing things is that if we sell Armstrong say for £15 million then we use the bulk of those funds not to sign players or cover losses but to bring in a top, top drawer management team like Leeds did. I'm not saying someone like Bielsa would be obtainable for us but a game changing top level manager who could be lured with a massive salary and bonus and given 2 years to get us up.

Good post.

I dont agree there is only investment for the 1st team though - they spend £3m a year to keep the academy as category 1.

My issue with giving TM till the end of the season before we make a change is that you are pretty much compromising next season as well.

Replacing now, would allow the new chap to assess the squad, sort recruitment plans, improve training infrastructure, get the players to understand how he wants to play, drill the defence and implement a good pre season, giving us a realistic chance of promotion next season.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, phili said:

improve training infrastructure,

drill the defence and

Improve training infrastructure? Can you explain further what you mean by this? 

On drill the defence? Quite likely half of the back line wont be here next season?

9 minutes ago, phili said:

Get the players to understand how he wants to play, 

What happens if we dont have players in the current squad to play the style the new guy want? Until the summer window for example

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

On drill the defence? Quite likely half of the back line wont be here next season?

And? Most clubs in lower leagues have a turnover of players. What’s that got to do with an incoming manager working with them for half a season to improve results? ‘Sorry pal hear you and the fella from Leeds won’t be here next season, just work it out amongst yourselves’

You work with what you’ve got until the next window - a la Allardyce replacing Ince

Edited by Mattyblue

14 minutes ago, phili said:

My issue with giving TM till the end of the season before we make a change is that you are pretty much compromising next season as well.

Replacing now, would allow the new chap to assess the squad, sort recruitment plans, improve training infrastructure, get the players to understand how he wants to play, drill the defence and implement a good pre season, giving us a realistic chance of promotion next season.

Exactly this. A mid term plan and forward thinking. We aren't going up. So what's the point in going through the motions for the next 4 months and then making a change?

If a change needs to be made, which most people seem to think it does, then that should be made quickly and decisively with a plan in place.

Likewise if a replacement is available now who ticks the boxes you don't sit around for months waiting and then that man gets signed up elsewhere leaving us without that option.

Sadly we've owners who won't even think about Rovers until May when people turn up on their doorstep and they have a spare hour to talk about it. So there can't be a plan of any form.

Remember the Venky motto.

Always tomorrow, never today.

Apply that to investment, improvement, promotion, changes. 

In football the proactive and bold succeed. Those who just make excuses and try to buy more time end up getting nowhere.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Improve training infrastructure? Can you explain further what you mean by this? 

What happens if we dont have players in the current squad to play the style the new guy want? Until the summer window for example

Investment in Brockhall has been pretty much none existent for 4 years, so it needs a complete overhaul. The analysis and euro scouting team seem to have been funded through cutbacks on medical, physio and training ground investments and it is starting to show.

New manager needs to find out if the players here can play his preferred system, his plan b and c system and what new players he will need to bring in. Until players are properly defensively drilled how do we know what our current defenders can do?

Hughes is quite a likely one for me, I don't know how I feel about it though. He'd get the best out of some of our players, but there's definitely then some other players who he wouldn't get the best out of too.

Nostalgia, marketability and Hughes' desperation for any managerial job he can find all add together to make it more than plausible, but I don't really know if it would be a step forward. He's not a manager who has any better credentials in the Championship than Mowbray, and as has been alluded to by other posters - he's had some pretty shambolic failures in recent times.

The most realistic outcome is that a Nigel Adkins comes in, which is hardly any better than where we are now.

Ultimately no one knows who we would appoint next, I dont get why Adkins is more or less realistic than anyone else. But even someone like that would allow us to reset, we are stagnating now and our manager is tactically confused, constantly changing system/formation/personnel in a desperate attempt to bear out a flawed theory around a principle he has around style of play. We need new ideas as well as some clarity in direction.

With Hughes, I would hazard a guess that his ego would have to shrink to allow him to take a job not only in the Championship but back at a club that he previously felt that he outgrew. People mention him more than usual because he used to manage here, like they do with Ainsworth not because of his impressive work at Wycombe but because he is a fan which should have nothing to do with anything.

Adkins was on 'the list' when Mowbray got the job and he fits all the recent criteria we've had when appointing our last 3 managers:

Available, historic promotion to the Prem, happy to get a Championship job, once promising career now in its latter stages.

I agree he's likely to be up there on the list this time around.

Not keen myself. I think he's probably a marginally better manager than Mowbray but not much and he's another with 'footballing principles' and all about the positivity to the point of delusion.

I liked Sparks suggestion the other day:

Souness or Sparky as DOF to provide the necessary support and guidance to develop Johnno as Manager, Duffer as Assistant Manager/Coach and Shay Given as Goalkeeping Coach (Is that bigdog over in the corner, 'lobbing one off' at the prospect!).

I feel that set up would certainly get supporters' juices flowing.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, darrenrover said:

Souness or Sparky as DOF to provide the necessary support and guidance to develop Johnno as Manager, Duffer as Assistant Manager/Coach and Shay Given as Goalkeeping Coach (Is that bigdog over in the corner, 'lobbing one off' at the prospect!).

With that lot the team come out on to pitch for games to "Living In the Past" by Jethro Tull.

8 hours ago, phili said:

Investment in Brockhall has been pretty much none existent for 4 years, so it needs a complete overhaul. The analysis and euro scouting team seem to have been funded through cutbacks on medical, physio and training ground investments and it is starting to show.

How has they been cutbacks in medical and Physio departments? 

What cutbacks have been in the training ground? Look at investment made in video technology on the training ground? Then players can look at their performance on the training days and match days. 

8 hours ago, StevenSK said:

Given how long it takes to get answers in venkys world and make things happen from dream to paper, do you think he may have been tipped off in advance? 

Look at comments made when Mowbray took the job. He was offered the job that Wednesday morning after Coyle sacking on Tuesday. 

Now unless you have evidence otherwise then we were stick to what we know as fact

42 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Look at comments made when Mowbray took the job. He was offered the job that Wednesday morning after Coyle sacking on Tuesday. 

And you never wanted him sacked...in fact you supported the dingle appointment....and you call cook saying you don't want a knuckle dragger managing the team...you did before.. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, darrenrover said:

Hughes would be shocked at the differences between now and when he was here. I don't think he'd come back personally but I'd love to see it. He'd sort out that defence for a start.

• Like 3

I think the next manager should be a guy on the up or a proven track record of delivering.. Adkins / Hughes etc are managers on a decline.. sorry to keep harping on about him but the Barnsley manager has worked wonders with what is essentially a league 1 team, has them playing good football, a proper identity... Pearson again proven track record, would put a rocket up back sides although may upset the cart a little?!