BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Mowbrays Successor

14 hours ago, JHRover said:

Could do a lot worse. That he is likely to lead that rabble to yet another higher finish than us is one of the most stark illustrations of our state under Mowbray. What Neil would give for £10 million and wages like Mowbray has had for Ayala, Tosin etc.

If we were ever in the industry of poaching managers from rival clubs I'd be testing the water for him or Rowett from Millwall. Both would improve us significantly and both would embrace the additional finance and stature we could provide.

Reckon Neil would cost in the millions to get after he got a new deal last year after the West Brom interest. This lot won't pay for their next manager.

Like both suggestions. Both are solid low risk appointments who know the league and have got teams performing significantly better than they should. 

Neill also has a promotion on his CV with Norwich and has constantly got a lot out of an underfunded PNE team. Would improve our lot for sure. Compensation as you say may be an issue. 

Rowett - I get he has had a lot of clubs and it is an issue but generally he has done well. Has Millwall punching well above their weight and likewise did so for Birmingham as well. His blemishes aren't too concerning - Stoke and Derby - as mitigating circumstances. Perhaps not first choice but definitely an upgrade imo. Again compensation may be an issue. 

1 hour ago, Blue blood said:

Rowett - I get he has had a lot of clubs and it is an issue but generally he has done well. Has Millwall punching well above their weight and likewise did so for Birmingham as well. His blemishes aren't too concerning - Stoke and Derby - as mitigating circumstances. Perhaps not first choice but definitely an upgrade imo. Again compensation may be an issue. 

Why are the two failures not too concerning? Both clubs of similar size to ours with strong player unions also like ours

Great big no to Coleman. 

The Norwegian chap sounds like he's worth a gamble, promoted and champions within 2 seasons is some going in any top league. 

Neal at Preston appeals and it shafts a rival too. I have actually just had to pause as the shock that Preston are actually rivals sinks in. 

Johnson, no thanks, I don't mind a gamble on a manager from abroad, but a complete rookie is a no for me. We have a strong squad so we need someone who has knowledge of what he is doing and isn't learning as he goes. That would also rule out Terry as just look at Rooney flop. 

6 minutes ago, Ulrich said:

Great big no to Coleman. 

The Norwegian chap sounds like he's worth a gamble, promoted and champions within 2 seasons is some going in any top league. 

Neal at Preston appeals and it shafts a rival too. I have actually just had to pause as the shock that Preston are actually rivals sinks in. 

Johnson, no thanks, I don't mind a gamble on a manager from abroad, but a complete rookie is a no for me. We have a strong squad so we need someone who has knowledge of what he is doing and isn't learning as he goes. That would also rule out Terry as just look at Rooney flop. 

I wouldn't say Rooney is flopping at the minute, seems to be doing well.

Lampard an example of a big name rookie who did well at this level.

Personally I wouldn't want Terry, the incidents with Ferdinand and and messing around with Wayne Bridges Mrs puts me off him.

Pulis and the Cowley brothers a no from me aswell, we don't have the type of players that suit those managers and tactics certainly in the case of Pulis.

Don't think they will sack Mowbray anyway, although saying that it felt like Bowyer would never be sacked either and eventually he was potted 

3 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Why are the two failures not too concerning? Both clubs of similar size to ours with strong player unions also like ours

Good and fair question. Not too concerning as in they aren't ideal and need a bit of investigation (if I were interviewing). However Stoke had been a real mess for years and a number of other managers also struggled with them. Like Sunderland they seemed a poisoned chalice and to have problems bigger than the manager. A number of good managers have failed there in recent years, as well as Lambert, so I wonder if it's more a case of issues with the club rather than the manager. (And shows how well O Neil is doing.) So I think there is some mitigation because of that. 

Derby again no one has done any better with them than he has. Another club that no matter what talent and money is thrown at it never manage to make it up. Again it seems a bit more than just a managerial issue. Also I don't recall him being there all that long either but could be wrong on that. 

I think this combined with the good work he has done at two other clubs means I lean more to giving him the benefit of the doubt. Not ideal sure, but Stoke I think has mitigating circumstances and two clubs he has done well at who punch above their weight - which is what we need. So that's why I would go for him. 

18 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Good and fair question. Not too concerning as in they aren't ideal and need a bit of investigation (if I were interviewing). However Stoke had been a real mess for years and a number of other managers also struggled with them. Like Sunderland they seemed a poisoned chalice and to have problems bigger than the manager. A number of good managers have failed there in recent years, as well as Lambert, so I wonder if it's more a case of issues with the club rather than the manager. (And shows how well O Neil is doing.) So I think there is some mitigation because of that. 

Derby again no one has done any better with them than he has. Another club that no matter what talent and money is thrown at it never manage to make it up. Again it seems a bit more than just a managerial issue. Also I don't recall him being there all that long either but could be wrong on that. 

I think this combined with the good work he has done at two other clubs means I lean more to giving him the benefit of the doubt. Not ideal sure, but Stoke I think has mitigating circumstances and two clubs he has done well at who punch above their weight - which is what we need. So that's why I would go for him. 

Thanks for a sensible answer but although your answer is fair and valid in one way it also brings  other similarities between Stoke, Derby and ourselves. Both clubs seem to have a other problems other than managerial and it is this reason why I question Rowett's potential to manger Rovers.

Its not his ability a team but the club as a whole and in particular our owners that I think he would struggle here.

26 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I wouldn't say Rooney is flopping at the minute, seems to be doing well.

Lampard an example of a big name rookie who did well at this level.

Personally I wouldn't want Terry, the incidents with Ferdinand and and messing around with Wayne Bridges Mrs puts me off him.

Pulis and the Cowley brothers a no from me aswell, we don't have the type of players that suit those managers and tactics certainly in the case of Pulis.

Don't think they will sack Mowbray anyway, although saying that it felt like Bowyer would never be sacked either and eventually he was potted 

He's not my cup of tea, knackered by 28 says a lot about his approach. 

Lampard was well backed so had a good chance of success. 

I do agree that they will not sack him anytime soon, and yes he does seem very bowyer like in his safe position. 

37 minutes ago, dingles staying down 4ever said:

Thanks for a sensible answer but although your answer is fair and valid in one way it also brings  other similarities between Stoke, Derby and ourselves. Both clubs seem to have a other problems other than managerial and it is this reason why I question Rowett's potential to manger Rovers.

Its not his ability a team but the club as a whole and in particular our owners that I think he would struggle here.

Yeah another fair point. That said he did well at Brum and they are a basket case of a club.  So perhaps that, plus experience of it at Stoke, may quality him to do so? It certainly wouldn't be unfamiliar territory given he has worked at the two clubs mentioned. 

On 30/12/2020 at 09:23, JHRover said:

What about the other 9 names I suggested after a quick google search? Are they all unobtainable or unaffordable too?

Thanks for the question. 

Pulis would be deffo no for me. His style of play and after I read what the Sheffield Wednesday Owner has even put more off him. Deffo avoid. 

Hughes, Does he wants to get back in management and does he have the passion for the game again. His failures since leaving here also makes me question whether he would be the right man. 

Cook would be massive no for me. Not the right fit for Rovers and ex dingle. 

Calvalhal impressed me at Sheffield Wednesday there. But Swansea spell didn't go well. Plus managing Braga now. So unlikely to leave there now. Could be on my shortlist. 

Wagner did well at Huddersfield and got them promoted. Lost his way during his second season in PL there. Things didn't go well for him during his spell in Germany. 

Unsure on Poyet, Sousa, Petrescu, Oscar Garcia recent careers and haven't look into them at all. 

Alex Neil. Not sure he would be right option for me for us and our squad. 

Rowett. Very impressed with the job at Birmingham and done very decent at Millwall. Concerned by his spells at Stoke and Derby. Could be option and someone I would want to interview

Cowley, I would be interesting in. Did very well at Lincoln and I think he did well keeping Huddersfield up last season. He would be on my shortlist to interview. 

Ainsworth would be on my shortlist. Done an excellent job at Wycombe there. 

Given that our last 4 managers have come from the same agency then Mark Robins would be option and on my shortlist to interview. Steve Cooper is from the same agency but unlikely to come here given Swansea being second in the league. 

On 30/12/2020 at 09:41, RevidgeBlue said:

You still giving Mowbray until the summer Chaddy?

Yes I am

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for the question. 

Pulis would be deffo no for me. His style of play and after I read what the Sheffield Wednesday Owner has even put more off him. Deffo avoid. 

Hughes, Does he wants to get back in management and does he have the passion for the game again. His failures since leaving here also makes me question whether he would be the right man. 

Calvalhal impressed me at Sheffield Wednesday there. But Swansea spell didn't go well. Plus managing Braga now. So unlikely to leave there now. Could be on my shortlist. 

Wagner did well at Huddersfield and got them promoted. Lost his way during his second season in PL there. Things didn't go well for him during his spell in Germany. 

Unsure on Poyet, Sousa, Petrescu, Oscar Garcia recent careers and haven't look into them at all. 

Rowett. Very impressed with the job at Birmingham and done very decent at Millwall. Concerned by his spells at Stoke and Derby. Could be option and someone I would want to interview

Cowley, I would be interesting in. Did very well at Lincoln and I think he did well keeping Huddersfield up last season. He would be on my shortlist to interview. 

Given that our last 4 managers have come from the same agency then Mark Robins would be option and on my shortlist to interview. Steve Cooper is from the same agency but unlikely to come here given Swansea being second in the league. 

Yes I am

Some well reasoned points and agree with a number of them though a tad harsh on a couple I feel (Neill especially). 

Interestingly based on your standards and criteria TM wouldn't get a look in for the Rovers job as has more blemishes then a lot of these options. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks for the question. 

Yes I am

Regarding Mowbray, do you:

1. Still think there is a chance of a top 6 finish?

2. Would you automatically 100% want Mowbray sacked should we fail to achieve a top 6 place this season?

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Regarding Mowbray, do you:

1. Still think there is a chance of a top 6 finish?

2. Would you automatically 100% want Mowbray sacked should we fail to achieve a top 6 place this season?

1. Yes. 

2. No. Cos looking at the list of potential managers from that agency only 2 I would take from it. We could end up with another Coyle situation and I wouldnt want that 

2 questions for yourself

1. What your opinion on that agency list of managers where our last 4 managers have come from? Any you would have here

2. What did your think of my opinions on those managers mentioned and the people I would potentially interview? 

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Based on what exactly?

Happy New Year by the way.

Same reasons I posted last week.

Happy New Year

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

1. Yes. 

2. No. Cos looking at the list of potential managers from that agency only 2 I would take from it. We could end up with another Coyle situation and I wouldnt want that 

2 questions for yourself

1. What your opinion on that agency list of managers where our last 4 managers have come from? Any you would have here

2. What did your think of my opinions on those managers mentioned and the people I would potentially interview? 

Question wasn't directed at me, but I would understand your reservations  over Pulis and Hughes. We're in such a rut however I think that we need a new face, to an extent any new face to being a semblance of a plan and to snap the players out of their complacency and comfort zone.

Don't understand your opposition to Neil, I think he  Rowett, Wagner and Cowley would be big improvements on Mowbray and Ainsworth and Cook slightly less sure fire guarantees of improvement but still likely to be better.

As regards the HSH list, I think Robins would be very interesting and a near certain improvement and I think Bellamy could be interesting, possibly with an experienced older head alongside him initially. He would certainly knock a few  heads together!

Then of course there's no guarantee at all we'll appoint from HSH anyway. My choice would still be to offer a top name like Pearson or Bilic a short term deal until the end of the season with a massive bonus for promotion. Either way a change is needed now if we're to salvage anything out of this season.

• Backroom
9 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Question wasn't directed at me, but I would understand your reservations  over Pulis and Hughes. We're in such a rut however I think that we need a new face, to an extent any new face to being a semblance of a plan and to snap the players out of their complacency and comfort zone.

Don't understand your opposition to Neil, I think he  Rowett, Wagner and Cowley would be big improvements on Mowbray and Ainsworth and Cook slightly less sure fire guarantees of improvement but still likely to be better.

As regards the HSH list, I think Robins would be very interesting and a near certain improvement and I think Bellamy could be interesting, possibly with an experienced older head alongside him initially. He would certainly knock a few  heads together!

Then of course there's no guarantee at all we'll appoint from HSH anyway. My choice would still be to offer a top name like Pearson or Bilic a short term deal until the end of the season with a massive bonus for promotion. Either way a change is needed now if we're to salvage anything out of this season.

The Dream Team? Bellamy as Manager, Hughes as Assistant 😅

Edited by Mike E
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

1. Yes. 

2 questions for yourself

Same reasons I posted last week.

Happy New Year

I feel like the refusal to say that failure (again) to meet expectations does not necessarily lead to any responsibility or accountability. If he hits targets, he stays because he has done well. If he fails, he stays in fear of appointing someone disastrously worse.

The agency thing is a bit of guesswork, I am advising as to what I would like to do, surely you accept that the fear of "appointing another Coyle" is not a very flattering reason to keep a manager and if that is genuinely your worry, surely its only delaying the inevitable!

Happy New Year and lets hope Mowbray pulls off an unlikely 2021 miracle and gets us up!

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The last 4 managers have all come from the same agency and no reason to think they would not used the same agency again. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

I feel like the refusal to say that failure (again) to meet expectations does not necessarily lead to any responsibility or accountability. If he hits targets, he stays because he has done well. If he fails, he stays in fear of appointing someone disastrously worse.

The agency thing is a bit of guesswork, I am advising as to what I would like to do, surely you accept that the fear of "appointing another Coyle" is not a very flattering reason to keep a manager and if that is genuinely your worry, surely its only delaying the inevitable!

Happy New Year and lets hope Mowbray pulls off an unlikely 2021 miracle and gets us up!

The agency thing has happen with the last 4 managers so why would Venkys not used them again?.

Well after Kean and Coyle fiascos I rather stick with Mowbray who I trust and has done a good job so far. I like him and he should given the season. If top 6 isnt achieve then we do a review and see where we go there. 

If you give me a guarantee that Rovers(venkys) would go through a proper recruitment process to recruit our new manager then fair enough. But has we have seen with past recruitment process of Kean, Berg, Appleton, Lambert and Coyle anything is possible with our owners. It's a massive issue and one that's cannot be ignored. 

Berg was appointed cos it's the only names the 3(Shebby, Shaw and Agnew) of them could agree on. 

Appleton's appointment came left field. 

Lambert and Coyle appointments came through our agency friends

Mowbray was appointed. Paul Senior told me via Email he pick him to become manager here. But he is another client of the agency.