BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Birmingham - Away, Sat 2nd Jan

3 hours ago, Paul Mellelieu said:

Convinced that Gally could be a centre-half.

It would be like the opposite to when we used to play Samba as a striker in the big Sam days. I actually agree with you, Gally is not a great attacker but what often gets him in the team sheet is his defensive Workrate.

I don't rate Gally but I don't dislike him. He's always given 100% when I've seen him play but we're not playing to his strengths. He was signed as a replacement for Danny Graham but then we decided to change our playing style which is less suited to how Gally plays. He was much more effective in his first stint here when the focus was more on getting balls out wide and crosses into the box. 

The problem for TM is that Gally should be a bench player but we've spent 5m on him so he has to try and get some value out of him. The price tag is the only reason he's in the team. 

Play him as a central striker and he'd do a lot better...but you can't move one of the best strikers in this league out wide to accommodate Gally centrally. 

Do we cut our losses and put it down as a mistake? Or do we try and keep plugging away and hope he comes good? Reality is he prob only needs a good half a season for his value to go up. 

• Like 4

• Backroom
2 hours ago, simongarnerisgod said:

is it not the legendary master of coaching ben benson thats mowbrays analyst,he`s always mincing about with a clipboard and a pen

Ive wondered this recently, he’s a goalkeeping coach but always seems to be in the ear of Mowbray when subs are happening, is that normal or are we just doing things on the cheap?

• Like 2

Small thing that bought me so much joy that I just remembered. When we won a free kick, and their player then kicked Brereton as he picked the ball, Travis came flying in with the shove, trying to escalate the moment.

In the EPL reactions like that would get VAR having another look. But in our world, I like it because it shows we are a team. Glad to have him back.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I don't rate Gally but I don't dislike him. He's always given 100% when I've seen him play but we're not playing to his strengths. He was signed as a replacement for Danny Graham but then we decided to change our playing style which is less suited to how Gally plays. He was much more effective in his first stint here when the focus was more on getting balls out wide and crosses into the box. 

The problem for TM is that Gally should be a bench player but we've spent 5m on him so he has to try and get some value out of him. The price tag is the only reason he's in the team. 

Play him as a central striker and he'd do a lot better...but you can't move one of the best strikers in this league out wide to accommodate Gally centrally. 

Do we cut our losses and put it down as a mistake? Or do we try and keep plugging away and hope he comes good? Reality is he prob only needs a good half a season for his value to go up. 

We are an injury or a few bookings away from him being the Centre forward.
Being embarrassed for options up front is no bad thing. Wouldn’t that be a nice problem to have at the back.
Maybe it will be, if Tony brings in a couple of loaner central defenders from the Premier League. 

1 hour ago, 47er said:

He's clumsy though and could give penalties away and his first touch is woeful.

He wouldn’t be a finished product...my concern is he’s not that good in the air.    How many times has he misjudged crosses in the box.  That’s a pretty critical quality  for a center half. 

6 hours ago, K-Hod said:

As an aside, I’m absolutely convinced that people are still mad at Dack for being photographed at that barbecue that one time. As if his presence there is a reason to permanently have something against him, rather than him being our main source of goals since he arrived until he got injured just over a year ago. 

Random and weird comment. 

He looked lost today but then smashed in a cracker in injury time to remind us of what he can do. It's obviously going to take some time for him to get back up to speed after a whole year out with a serious injury. Not sure who has being saying any different. 

What's that got to do with having a grudge for him attending a barbecue?!? As if anyone gives a shit. 

• Like 1

Mental that we are still the leagues top scorers. Add a couple of decent defenders and you never know, if everyone can stay fit. 4 of the next 6 at home against 3 sides above us. Far from over, especially if the Venkys pony up some cash, again! 
Getting Dack back is brilliant, so cynical in front of goal, but getting Travis back is huge for us.

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

• Backroom
8 hours ago, Wood26 said:

And if Douglas shot that hit post against Stoke went in, it be 1-1 and they change their play and so on and so on.

Have I missed something where being 1-0 up away and then finishing the team off 2-0 as they chase the game is all of a sudden not a great result?

Yes, when it's against Birmingham City.

• Like 1

On Gally as some have said it is hard to judge him, when he plays in a role aliento himself. I mean a CB switched to full-back, will struggle and if his attributes don't suit the role, well he will look rubbish. Ayala for example. 

He did cost a lot for Rovers, regardless of what others spend. But for me this must be the sticking point with him and TM. The manager spent 5m on him, so he must play, what would the owners say to spending 5m for a bench player. I cannot believe that TM cannot see how Gally struggles to play the role and we look much better with a more natural wide player. His price tag must play a role, what else could it be? 

This frustrates the hell out of me as (not for same reasons) look at United. Pogba is a very good player, but the team is better without him. TM imo would be better off doing an Ole 👏

I also wonder given footballers fragility how this effects Gally mentally? Starting week in, week out, but playing in a role he will never truly shine within. Sounds frustrating as hell. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulrich said:

I also wonder given footballers fragility how this effects Gally mentally? Starting week in, week out, but playing in a role he will never truly shine within. Sounds frustrating as hell. 

Even when Dolan came on, I thought Gallagher will move to the centre, but Dolan was playing AA's role. And right now, he gets his RW spot weekly because he can do some defensive work and also his ability to be the "target" of long balls. Mowbray seems to have messed up Gallagher as a player/striker. I still believe Gallagher has the ability to finish and should be given the chances to take shots. He shouldnt be asked to take on and dribble past players.

Gally seems like a nice and hardworking chap and i'm starting to feel sorry for him the way he's been used.

• Like 7

On reflection, Kaminsky's save was stunning.

Loved the fluidity and tenacity of Travis and Davenport- I'd give them a run together with the other midfielders contesting the third spot.

Brilliant goal from Dack but again no indication of how Mowbray sees him fitting in, let alone making the most out of him.

I thought Dolan was fantastic when he came on. It was needing 3 from Brum to stop/disrupt him.

I'd really like Dolan to get more game time.

The level of technical proficiency from Rovers when he and Dack were on the park soared.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clitheroe said:

How is AA top scorer and also top for missed big chances?

Screenshot_20210102-175701.png

Screenshot_20210102-175644.png

So many ways of reading that.

It means Arma gets/makes nearly 1.5 big chances per game and takes close to two thirds of them.

Could also mean opposition managers see him as sufficiently flawed to allow him to run in behind them as they prefer to commit resources further up field.

Or Armstrong is so quick at this level there is no point countering him one on one.

I would tell Armstrong to stick in the centre circle when Rovers are defending and train at hitting balls blind to land centrally 10 to 20 yards inside the opposition half...

• Like 2

16 hours ago, SoldierMo said:

Since the brentford goal...Davenport hardly played...shows how much of an idiot Mowbray is looking ag his performance today absolute joke decision not to start him previous games

Very true, add to that.Dolan's lack of quality minutes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, USABlue said:

If that is true, well I don't know what to say.  Criminal.

Not really. It’s his job to make that decision. That’s why you have dedicated threads to sack a manager and not “sack the medical team” or “sack the analyst”....the buck stops with Mowbray.

What it does tell you (if true) is that Mowbray needed to win that game yesterday. Which is interesting...

• Like 3

Last time Davenport did well we didn't see him for weeks. Does TK give everyone a turn to keep the squad happy?

Its possible that Davenport and Travis could be our midfield central pairing for years if the playing relationship were allowed to develop.

i said "possible" because we haven't seen enough of Davenport yet so give it a go Tony.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 47er said:

Last time Davenport did well we didn't see him for weeks. Does TK give everyone a turn to keep the squad happy?

Its possible that Davenport and Travis could be our midfield central pairing for years if the playing relationship were allowed to develop.

i said "possible" because we haven't seen enough of Davenport yet so give it a go Tony.

Midfield three is an interesting situation now. 

We've got Travis who is a definite starter when fully fit. Then we've got Rothwell, Holtby, Trybull and Johnson who have all played well and badly in patches. Rothwell is probably the pick of them.

Then we've got Davenport who just played really well. And then we have Dack and Elliott who if we we want both to play probably one needs to go in the midfield three. Then there's Downing, Buckley who have hardly played. So that's *ten* players for three spots, although Johnson could be in defence for a while if we don't sign a defender, and one of Dack/Elliott is likely to play up front. Pretty daft situation to have so many mids and not enough defenders... I haven't even counted JRC or Evans... (!!!)

Anyway for me to make the 433 really work it is all about having a midfield three that covers *a lot* of ground and can use the ball well. With only three in the middle you have to be able to press really well and retain the ball.

To work through them - Johnson and Trybull are too static imo and get picked off. Holtby was brilliant and covering the yards well at the start of season but has dropped off significantly - seems to have a fitness issue. Dack you want up front for his goals, and Elliott is a forward not a midfielder, as he lacks the required presence and positional discipline to win the ball back. Buckley and Downing also lack that presence you need in a three.

So for me probably we should go into the next league game with a midfield of Trav, Davenport, Rothwell. I think when Holtby gets his fitness back up again he could become a big player for us also.

I would drop Gallagher up front for Dack and also put Elliott on the bench.

My suspicion though is if we sign a defender Johnson will shoo-in to midfield and I think the deal we have with Liverpool for Elliott is he has to play so he can't be dropped. Could be wrong about that, but it feels that way.

So out best team, for me, front to back :

Kaminski

Nyambe.   Lenihan.   Kipre?   Bell. 

Travis.     Davenport.   Rothwell 

Brereton.   Dack.   Armstrong. 

Subs : Pears, Johnson, Douglas, Holtby, Trybull, Buckley, Elliott, Dolan, Gallagher

• Like 1

2 hours ago, yellowsubmarine said:

Gally seems like a nice and hardworking chap and i'm starting to feel sorry for him the way he's been used.

Felt the same about Bennett last year as first a right back and then, horror of all horrors, as our left back. Decent pros who will try their best and do whatever the manager tells them to, happy to be playing. Feels like they're being set up to fail in positions that do not suit them at all, before you know it the fans are on their backs. 

Whatever Gally is, he isn't a winger. Like Elliot was never in a month of Sundays a left back, nor a right back either. 

Cheers, boss!

12 hours ago, Wood26 said:

And if Douglas shot that hit post against Stoke went in, it be 1-1 and they change their play and so on and so on.

Clutching at straws. And if the Kaminski wonder save hadn't happened yesterday it could have been a different result. 

12 hours ago, Wood26 said:

Have I missed something where being 1-0 up away and then finishing the team off 2-0 as they chase the game is all of a sudden not a great result?

It's a good result no doubt about it. But hardly a great one. I think Harry and Megan weren't married the last time Brum scored and their performance yesterday again confirmed that they are dross. So yes, good that we won, but not to get overexcited by the opposition. 

Then there's the context of 1 game win in 7 (I think) and the bigger issues. It's harder to get excited when TM is playing players out of position regularly, has assembled a defence of crocks, has ignored Davenport and Dolan, played Williams when not fit. The wider context of TMs mismanagement is a bit of a drain on excitement. Add in that the season is virtually already over - we won't go up or down in January - and you can see why enthusiasm isn't at an all time high. 

• Like 3