BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Birmingham - Away, Sat 2nd Jan

17 hours ago, yankfan said:

He wouldn’t be a finished product...my concern is he’s not that good in the air.    How many times has he misjudged crosses in the box.  That’s a pretty critical quality  for a center half. 

He's good in the air defensively.

His first touch would be my concern.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

And yet he could have got the Goal of the Season after a brilliant piece of skill; not to mention his helping out with defensive duties when required. He has the talent of that I have no doubt. He’s just lacking that little bit of luck and/or rub of the green. 
I am aware I’m in the minority here!

Yeah, and it wasn't even shown on the TV highlights show! Really shocking coverage.

So close to a Matt Le Tisier special.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, tonygreenbank said:

And yet he could have got the Goal of the Season after a brilliant piece of skill; not to mention his helping out with defensive duties when required. He has the talent of that I have no doubt. He’s just lacking that little bit of luck and/or rub of the green. 
I am aware I’m in the minority here!

I remember a list of memes, which went down a bomb in politically correct social services departments...

One was "You're different and that's bad!" haha

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bazza said:

Two things surprised me yesterday. Douglas played far better at right back than he does at left back. Rothwell was absolutely awful when he came on. I know he didn't have many minutes but he was shocking.

Rothwell is the last player I’d bring on when defending a 1-0 lead, gives the ball away too much, even though he played the pass for Dolan.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

But he didn't give them what could have been a pen just before our first goal.

Then he did not see it, brum only half hearted appealed too.  I am sure if they all yelled loud enough he would have given it even if he was looking the other way

6 hours ago, Stuart said:

Thanks for correcting me. Surely TM shouldn’t need anyone to tell him the number of chances we had - particularly when it was such a low number.

I was thinking about you the other day though as you haven’t posted for a while. Good to see you are well.

Thanks Stuart.  I read the forums but have taken a break from posting.  I watch the games on i-follow but, to be honest, I've lost much of my enthusiasm for the game in general over the past nine months.  I don't think football in general has covered itself in glory during this pandemic.  Greed, as always, has come to the fore whilst the loyalty of supporters continues to be exploited.

On the subject of analysts, I first came across their involvement when Mark Hughes was manager although I suspect it went on before.  I remember being near the dressing room area in Finland at half-time in one of our UEFA games.  Whilst the players were inside, Hughes and his coaching staff were studying the data on laptops and then went in to deliver their half-time team talk, presumably based on what the stats had shown them.  

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

Rothwell is the last player I’d bring on when defending a 1-0 lead, gives the ball away too much, even though he played the pass for Dolan.

To be fair to Rothwell everyone was giving away the ball for fun on both sides throughout the game. It was amateur. The pitch looked in a really bad way.

• Like 1

Sitting outside the UK, PL games have become much more accessible and the league and teams vastly more interesting this season. 

Staggered kick off times means football fits around me and not vice versa and very few games are abysmal switch offs.

What's not to like?

Except for Sheffield United...

Edited by philipl
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, philipl said:

Sitting outside the UK, PL games have become much more accessible and the league and teams vastly more interesting this season. 

Staggered kick off times means football fits around me and not vice versa and very few games are abysmal switch offs.

What's not to like?

Except for Sheffield United...

Ya , I hope the football isn't canceled. It's so important for people's mental health in these times. Although you could argue that point about Rovers 😂

• Like 1

For fans abroad who can presumably watch games now much more easily, how much of the experience as fans reliant on watching on TV does the games being behind closed doors lose?

Obviously part of my reduction in enthusiasm comes from knowing that I cannot personally attend but the game I have possibly enjoyed most this season was Brentford, in that there were at least a couple of thousands fans in the ground, it felt like it had more meaning.

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

For fans abroad who can presumably watch games now much more easily, how much of the experience as fans reliant on watching on TV does the games being behind closed doors lose?

Obviously part of my reduction in enthusiasm comes from knowing that I cannot personally attend but the game I have possibly enjoyed most this season was Brentford, in that there were at least a couple of thousands fans in the ground, it felt like it had more meaning.

Weird at first. Got used to it now.

In fact it will seem strange watching again without the pitch side microphones picking up the yelled instructions and the screams when players are wanting free kicks awarded. I much prefer the games without the piped crowd sounds. Some grounds have people who are really good at selecting the sounds but others are rubbish.

10 hours ago, Stuart said:

I feel the same way. Cancelled my Skysports subscription in March and haven’t really missed it. Now even if I watch the odd game on Amazon I only really half watch. It has become completely soulless and even the results don’t inspire. The rot started when BT Sport came in and meant the most interesting games that I would have watched now cost more so on principle I started to watch less. The interest started to wane from then on. The lockdown and subsequent re-opening without fans betrayed what I’ve long felt: that the PL is the only show in town and fans are no longer necessary. Politics has also been allowed to get a stranglehold on a game where the only important issue should be the team you support. Why? Because of money, TV and the ‘global audience’. The game I loved is gone and has been replaced by a fake version where players cheat and rules are enforced in slow-motion on technicalities.

I think your disenchantment comes through in your recent posts.

I never had Sky in the house and I no longer watch MOD...Premier League greed sickens me and that little wheeze of an attempted power grab was just embarrassing. As for the EFL, how can they pretend to believe in FFP, when their TV deal allows for certain teams to be televised all the time as others hardly feature..

The only point I would challenge is the implication that cheating is a new thing. Players have always cheated.

Indeed, one of my favourite memories is Rochdale away, when our players attempted to collude, when the ref nullified a good Rochdale goal after our fans had fished the ball from the back netting and thrown it up into the away fans.

MGP at Newcastle, anyone? Martin Olsen at Burnley ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rigger said:

He can jump, he might not have the timing of other players. But he physically can jump.

About 5cm, watch him during corners. Smaller players beat him all the time and not just due to timing. He barely gets off the ground. Either he needs to lose some weight or work on his leg muscles.

1 hour ago, booth said:

About 5cm, watch him during corners. Smaller players beat him all the time and not just due to timing. He barely gets off the ground. Either he needs to lose some weight or work on his leg muscles.

As I don't know you, I cannot comment about yourself, But I would stake a weeks wage that Gally can jump higher than me.

22 hours ago, rigger said:

As I don't know you, I cannot comment about yourself, But I would stake a weeks wage that Gally can jump higher than me.

We aren't talking about him jumping higher than you, we're talking about him jumping higher than opposition players in a defensive capacity.

Though I'd still put my money on you winning that contest.