BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Tony Mowbray - Stick or Twist ?

I’d stick until we are out of the top 6 running. Top 6 was his ‘self imposed’ and is now the clubs target.

As per yesterday’s post I personally don’t feel there are the winners in this squad to get us into the top 6. But that is purely my opinion. So I expect the club to reassess in the summer. 

I feel that IF we fall far from this target, Mowbray may indeed walk and / or a change will be sought.

But until then I’d be shocked to my core if anything changed on the manager front. Ultimately we’re 5pts off our target with half the season to go. That will be their focus!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We were 1 point off this time last season and Mowbray was staying awake during games.

I accept that. I’m not in any way happy with where we are but ultimately, his target is top 6 and he’s still close enough with a better goal difference. That’s the way they’ll see it imo.

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’d stick until we are out of the top 6 running. Top 6 was his ‘self imposed’ and is now the clubs target.

As per yesterday’s post I personally don’t feel there are the winners in this squad to get us into the top 6. But that is purely my opinion. So I expect the club to reassess in the summer. 

I feel that IF we fall far from this target, Mowbray may indeed walk and / or a change will be sought.

But until then I’d be shocked to my core if anything changed on the manager front. Ultimately we’re 5pts off our target with half the season to go. That will be their focus!

I agree about no winners but that is entirely down to Mowbray and his restrictive signings of a 'certain type of player'. I don't for one second believe we will get top six and on that basis alone he should be sacked and a new man given the rest of this season to pick up the pieces, assess what we have and need and try and take us forward.

But I just don't expect it to happen.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It'll be 7 or 8 pts if Boro/Watford win their game in hand. Still not much but we're going to have to average about  2 points per game until the end of the season to get in the PO's. Not happening under Mowbray I'd wager. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I agree about no winners but that is entirely down to Mowbray and his restrictive signings of a 'certain type of player'. I don't for one second believe we will get top six and on that basis alone he should be sacked and a new man given the rest of this season to pick up the pieces, assess what we have and need and try and take us forward.

But I just don't expect it to happen.

That’s the thing though, it sounds like both you and I don’t believe he’ll get us into the top 6 BUT that’s where your argument falls down mate because our opinion doesn’t matter!

He has a target. But the only opinion that matters on when he’s missed it, is theirs!!

10 minutes ago, Hoochie Bloochie Mama said:

It'll be 7 or 8 pts if Boro/Watford win their game in hand. Still not much but we're going to have to average about  2 points per game until the end of the season to get in the PO's. Not happening under Mowbray I'd wager. 

I’m not arguing with you and with Stoke, Swansea and Boro in the next batch I’d say it’s 75% likely our season will be over by Feb based on current form. 

Edited by Paul Mani

26 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We will always be less than 10 points off the top 6. Thats the Championship. Unless you are marooned in a relegation scrap you have a sniff of the play offs. There's absolutely no indication this manager has the ability to get us in there nor indeed keep us there and a top 6 slot guarantees nothing so shouldn't be treated as the Holy grail.

Imagine if he did scrape 6th one season but we got slaughtered in the playoffs he'd be dining off that 'success' for years.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

We will always be less than 10 points off the top 6. Thats the Championship. Unless you are marooned in a relegation scrap you have a sniff of the play offs. There's absolutely no indication this manager has the ability to get us in there nor indeed keep us there and a top 6 slot guarantees nothing so shouldn't be treated as the Holy grail.

Imagine if he did scrape 6th one season but we got slaughtered in the playoffs he'd be dining off that 'success' for years.

You’re shooting off in different directions here. His stated target was the top 6. That’s it.

The fact is he’s 5pts off it with half the season to go. If that gap widens as the game ticks down then contextually we move further away from that goal and the likelihood of a change in manager increases.

As I’ve said, I’d make the change because I don’t see that this team has the minerals to do it but my opinion is irrelevant as to whether the owners change the manager.

59 minutes ago, Pennymeadowrover said:

Doesn’t help with the pitch looking like a local park playing fields. 

it’s the worst I’ve seen it in 20 years

It was never this bad when Ste Patrick was groundsman. One of Venkys first cost cutting exercises was the ground staff.  

Very symbolic I'd say.  We used to have one of the best pitches and football clubs till they came.

• Like 1

Can anybody paint me a picture were we find a way to score against teams that come to let us " rope a dope " and play in front of them all day. Or a picture were we stop making school boy errors at the back and become difficult to score against.

Both of those things will have to happen before we can even think of a place off place.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

You’re shooting off in different directions here. His stated target was the top 6. That’s it.

The fact is he’s 5pts off it with half the season to go. If that gap widens as the game ticks down then contextually we move further away from that goal and the likelihood of a change in manager increases.

As I’ve said, I’d make the change because I don’t see that this team has the minerals to do it but my opinion is irrelevant as to whether the owners change the manager.

I suppose the real question is whether the target is Mowbray's or the owners or both and whether it is fixed or flexible.

He might have decided his own target is the top 6 but its meaningless if the owners aren't demanding it.

Anyway, no doubt there will be the usual excuses including Travis and Dack being injured for half the season, which will ultimately get him off the hook either way.

46 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That’s the thing though, it sounds like both you and I don’t believe he’ll get us into the top 6 BUT that’s where your argument falls down mate because our opinion doesn’t matter!

He has a target. But the only opinion that matters on when he’s missed it, is theirs!!

I sincerely doubt if the owners are aware of Mowbrays stated target. The common consensus amongst the majority is that he should be sacked but they also know there is little chance of it happening. Personally I think we will fail to be anywhere near the top six but he will still be here next season peddling the same nonsense and trotting out the same excuses assuring us of mid table mediocrity.

• Like 2

• Backroom
57 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I’m not arguing with you and with Stoke, Swansea and Boro in the next batch I’d say it’s 75% likely our season will be over by Feb based on current form. 

Last time this happened under Bowyer our season ended around February, but they didn't sack GB until October after the club had spent the summer selling all of our assets. 

If there's one thing that's for sure about our owners it's that when they remove the manager it will be done far too late. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

He's not going to walk he knows he will never get a better and easier job than the one he has here. He missed his target last season by 7 points all he had to offer for that was a load of excuses, none of which of course were his fault. It will be the same again when we miss his target this season he will have a load excuses ready again none of which will be his fault and of course his disciples will swallow it all and tell us to give him the first 10 games. Mowbray's sole interest is his own self preservation. 

2 hours ago, Tormund said:

Time to go, stagnated for me. Too dull and not enough improvement with some of the players he’s got here.

I can’t see where our next win will come from, looking at the next few fixtures. 

The thing is we could quite easily win our next five games, It would still be time for Mowbray to leave.

• Like 3

I keep thinking of the Commentator's remark at the end of the match yesterday- he called it a mini-scalp for Doncaster Rovers. He wasn't trying to be insulting but it was probably his honest assessment of our club's standing in 2021. The problem is that he's right.

Venky's out

I'm just glad we couldn't have fans at the ground, as it would have been an awful afternoon to be at Ewood.

Poor weather, poor performance, poor result and 3000 Rovers fans scattered around two stands heading home fed up.

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I'm just glad we couldn't have fans at the ground, as it would have been an awful afternoon to be at Ewood.

Poor weather, poor performance, poor result and 3000 Rovers fans scattered around two stands heading home fed up.

Yeah, but old Tesco would have been happy to sell his shit pies to the yorkshireman.

5 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

It will be the lattar Josh.  I wrote last month that Mowbray will have the total support of the owners, they do not sack people that they they have strong relationships and trust.  He has got them out of trouble in the last 3 years and stabalised the football club, they also look at the likes of Dack and Armstrong, players who were purchased for a relatively modest amount and are now worth £15 million plus each, this is the kind of model they want to operate.

I cannot see any circumstance (other than us falling seriously into a relegation battle that they decide to sack him).  I have a huge amount of respect for Mowbray and as at previous clubs I can see a scenario where he decides to walk away.

Coventry which was a basket case and he admitted having failed to strengthen the defence.

Which other Clubs has he voluntarily walked from ?

5 hours ago, Kamy100 said:

It will be the lattar Josh.  I wrote last month that Mowbray will have the total support of the owners, they do not sack people that they they have strong relationships and trust.  He has got them out of trouble in the last 3 years and stabalised the football club, they also look at the likes of Dack and Armstrong, players who were purchased for a relatively modest amount and are now worth £15 million plus each, this is the kind of model they want to operate.

I cannot see any circumstance (other than us falling seriously into a relegation battle that they decide to sack him).  I have a huge amount of respect for Mowbray and as at previous clubs I can see a scenario where he decides to walk away.

Disagree with the final sentence Kamy. He can’t have ever had a job so secure in his life. He has already given us our worst ever run of games (last season) since the war (I didn’t check back further) and nothing changed. He makes excuses and even at this point I doubt he will think he has done anything wrong. If the only person with any clout with the owners won’t hear a bad word against him where exactly is the pressure to leave going to come from? It certainly isn’t the terraces - even when we are allowed back!