BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

Swansea City Home

Does anyone remember years ago, when it had quite a bad snowfall, and we were one of only a couple of games on? That includes Premier League too, as we were a Prem club at the time. 

“We will respect the legacy”. 

They are scoundrels. This is what they have brought us too. Our pitch used to be fantastic given the area we are in. 

• Like 5

Boxing Day 2015 vs Middlesbrough at home.

The last home game to be called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

I'm not suprised to be honest, forecast looks awful! Later on/tomorrow when peoples houses start flooding, thats the real upset! As for a football fixture, there'll be another one in 4 days.

• Like 3

I really think they have jumped the gun here. Why there was a mid morning inspection doesn't make sense as Swansea are already here having travelled yesterday, no visiting fans to consider, no police charges and no food waste. Surely a decision could have been delayed until mid/late afternoon to give it a chance. Although the forecast is for heavy rain it's been dry in Darwen for the last hour and the clouds look like they are shifting. 

The amateurish way this has been handled sums up Rovers to me.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I really think they have jumped the gun here. Why there was a mid morning inspection doesn't make sense as Swansea are already here having travelled yesterday, no visiting fans to consider, no police charges and no food waste. Surely a decision could have been delayed until mid/late afternoon to give it a chance. Although the forecast is for heavy rain it's been dry in Darwen for the last hour and the clouds look like they are shifting. 

The amateurish way this has been handled sums up Rovers to me.

Who actually makes the decision ? is it the match referee or can the clubs just agree between themselves ?

1 hour ago, Ossydave said:

When was a game last called off for a waterlogged pitch? Last I can remember is Wimbledon in the 90's when Fashanu etc started doing Klinsmann dives on the pitch following the decision, but surely there's been some since that?

Boxing Day 2015 but the whole of the country was basically flooded that day!

2 minutes ago, Crimpshrine said:

Who actually makes the decision ? is it the match referee or can the clubs just agree between themselves ?

A local referee was called in so primarily it's his call. I always used to insist on the managers (if possible) being there so they could have a view and input but I don't think either manager was there this morning.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, windymiller7 said:

Boxing Day 2015 but the whole of the country was basically flooded that day!

Yes wasn’t that the day Ribchester had already flooded after days of heavy rain? And the River Darwen was bursting its banks? 

It certainly wasn’t after a few hours of rain just on the morning of the match.

• Like 3

It's not raining now. I suspect they've made the decision based on the long term health of the pitch, not on whether this was playable or not.

I suspect it may have been playable but would just have been embarrassingly bad condition. The pictures of Pleasington and Green Lane shows that, with a fine spell,  all of the surface water could have gone and the ball may have rolled bobbled freely.  I would have expected if there was a chance of the game being played then the decision would have been delayed rather than being called off this early 

It's just embarrassing that we have a pitch so bad we are trying to get game called off because of it, rather than play on it.

Edited by Hasta