BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The 'alan Smith' Type

Alright - I will reword - Souness gave Dunn his chance to shine wink.gif

Dunn was too arrogant to take the advice of one of the best midfield players of his generation.

Strange that the position that Tugay currently operates in would have been ideal for Dunn.

The truth of the matter is that Dunn jumped ship as soon as things weren't going his way. Look at Johanson this season, played well whenever called upon, and more often than not subsequently dropped to the bench - though I am not convinced he will be here next season, he hasn't gone to the press to moan about his treatment.

Dunn threw away every Rovers fans dream - what a waste

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting suggestion made by Smith in his thinking of moving abroad.

I don’t think he’ll move abroad despite his thinking. I don’t think his temperament will suit the European Leagues.

If Smith leaves Leeds which will be likely due to Leeds`s financial situation, Smith has made it clear that he’ll leave Leeds for the club HE wants to play for.

SMITH LOOKING FOR MOVE TO EUROPE

Strange that the position that Tugay currently operates in would have been ideal for Dunn.

The truth of the matter is that Dunn jumped ship as soon as things weren't going his way. Look at Johanson this season, played well whenever called upon, and more often than not subsequently dropped to the bench - though I am not convinced he will be here next season, he hasn't gone to the press to moan about his treatment.

Perhaps, Dunn should have tried harder to get back into the team, rather than leaving - but no way would he play Tugay's role. Dunn likes to run with the ball in the attacking third, not sitting deep as Tugay does.

And Nissa did actually come into the press complaining that Souness hasn't actually explained why he's not in the team, and hinted he may look to leave. Although, granted, he hasn't exactly been vociferous or disruptive.

Rover6 - do you actually watch Rovers ?

If I am not mistaken Tugay has been playing as the attacking midfield player - trying to give a creative link between our three defensive midfield players (thats Flitcroft, Andreson and Douglas btw) and our front two (Cole and Stead).

wink.gif

If Alan smith really cared about Leeds he'd lower his wage demands and stay to help them battle out of Div 1.......

Sick of these players and their crocodile tears.

Couldn't agree more mate. 10 minutes after Leeds lost to Bolton last Sunday, Alan Smith was talking to the media telling them that he'd made up his mind - he was definitely leaving. He couldn't even be bothered to wait a few weeks after relegation had been confirmed.

Today against Charlton, Smith was kissing his badge again - just like all the other badge slags who claim that they love the club they represent.

In reality what they're most interested in is their fat pay packets.

Loyalty? It doesn't seem to exist anymore.

There have only been a couple of examples of it in recent years - one was Matt Le Tissier being willing to stay for the rest of his career at the Saints.

But as far as the majority of other players are concerned, they're just a bunch of greedy barstewards.

Take a look at Smith's colleague Viduka. What an arrogant sod he is.

Earlier in the season he tried to undermine the authority of Peter Reid, the previous manager, by turning up late for meetings, ignoring instructions in training, and showing bare-faced contempt by attacking Reid in the media. A few months later, under Eddie Gray, his tells his agent that he's not willing to take a paycut and starts kicking up a fuss by saying that he must have all his image rights paid up in full.

Then with relegation looming, he stupidly gets himself sent off against Portsmouth. He makes a half-hearted apology to his manager, and a couple of weeks later goes and does exactly the same thing against Bolton - getting himself sent off by elbowing an opponent.

Leeds fans are obviously remarkably patient if they can cheer and applaud off the pitch today the bunch of arrogant big-time charlies who have got themselves relegated.

Admittedly, many of the former Leeds directors also have to take their share of the blame for the shambles.

'Publicity Pete' Ridsdale is the man who when Seth Johnson told him that he'd like 20 grand a week to join the club, responded by telling Johnson that he'd pay him £37,000 a week if he'd move from Derby to Elland Road.

While Leeds was drowning in a sea of debt, Ridsdale was out spending money on a huge fishtank for the boardroom to house some tropical fish, and phoning up journalists telling them that he'd always be available for any interviews.

Strangely, Ridsdale has gone quiet recently. When asked a week ago what he thought about Leeds being relegated, he curtly said: "No comment. Leeds isn't my responsibility."

He should be hanging his head in shame and banned from ever getting involved with another football club. Instead, the arrogant silver-haired crook is earning himself a nice salarly down the road at Barnsley.

I'll always love the game of football. But many within the game are making me sick at the moment... mad.gif

Oh please, why is it difficult to understand that players like Smith wants to stay at top level? The guy has yet to reach his prime, he's fighting for a place in the England squad and he's wanted by some top teams. He's said all along that he wants to play top division football, and when Leeds can't give him that then he has to leave. The board had told him he wouldn't have gotten a new contract anyway, even if the club had steered clear of relegation.

Oh please, why is it difficult to understand that players like Smith wants to stay at top level? The guy has yet to reach his prime, he's fighting for a place in the England squad and he's wanted by some top teams. He's said all along that he wants to play top division football, and when Leeds can't give him that then he has to leave. The board had told him he wouldn't have gotten a new contract anyway, even if the club had steered clear of relegation.

Exactly.

I think the fact that he is looking to go abroad so it would make it easier to return to Leeds should they go up says something about him. It's very easy to be cynical about the situation...which is why a lot of people are criticising him.

While Leeds was drowning in a sea of debt, Ridsdale was out spending money on a huge fishtank for the boardroom to house some tropical fish, and phoning up journalists telling them that he'd always be available for any interviews.

What is your problem dry.gif Every boardroom needs a huge fishtank full of tropical fish biggrin.giftongue.gif

It's very easy to be cynical about the situation...

Me cynical? Never in a million years.... wink.gif

Last July, Leeds fans were hugely impressed when Alan Smith told Four Four Two magazine that relegation would never make him want to leave Elland Road.

This is what he said: "It would take a better type of person to stay and say we're all going to stick together and make sure the club gets back to where it belongs."

He went on to declare that England would always come second to his Leeds career.

But just 10 minutes after losing to Bolton, Smith told the media that his future was more important to him than the club's.

"Nationwide football isn't for me," he said.

When Jermain Defoe did exactly the same thing at West Ham a year ago, he was slaughtered for his insensitive outburst. But hey, Smithy cried a few tears, so that's okay....

He now says that he's "dreamed about playing abroad for years."

This is all rather different from his earlier declarations that he wanted to stay at Leeds for life.

Smith's disciplinary record for a striker is quite appalling - having been sent off nine times for Leeds and he's attained more yellow cards - 67 - than the number of goals he's scored, 56.

He's only been booked nine times this season though, compared with 12 yellow cards and three sendings off the previous season.

I suspect that this obnoxious blonde blubber boy is one of those guys who tries to act hard on the pitch, but when push comes to shove, he's just a baby-faced cry boy. He can throw a plastic bottle at supporters from the safety of the pitch, but he wouldn't have lasted five minutes in a ruck with Norman Hunter or Billy Bremner.

Maybe he thought that by trying to act the hardman, he'd become a Leeds hero in the Don Revie mould.

But Smith's status as a Leeds hero has become disproportionate to his achievements. He's never won a trophy at Elland Road and was ultimately powerless to prevent their relegation. His goal scoring record - 56 goals in 190 appearances - isn't outstanding for an England striker.

How long will it be before he's kissing the badge of Newcastle, Liverpool, Man United or some foreign club?

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

His goal scoring record - 56 goals in 190 appearances - isn't outstanding for an England striker.

Sadly, compared to SOME current England strikers, that record is quite impressive.

I'm still of the view that Smith is a thuggish individual who has it coming to him one day when a sturdy centre half takes offence to his perpetual fouling.

But you can see why Leeds fans love him. For God's sake, there are enough Rovers fans who idolise Garry Flitcroft for displaying about a tenth of Smith's aggression and determination on the pitch. And at least Smith did play consistently well.

Reading this article makes interesting reading. Smith is adored by the fans of Leeds and Smith has always said that he’ll move to the club that he wants to go to.

However if Smith did leave Leeds for United how would he be received back at Elland Road if Leeds were to reach promotion and back in the Premiership in a red shirt, possibly in the same hostility as Cantona and Ferdinand have received in the past.

From a Leeds fan perspective I would have thought that they would let Smith go, as if they have a choice, to leave for any club apart from United.

Might happen as there is uncertainties with Ruud`s future at present.

Smith open to Man Utd offer

But you can see why Leeds fans love him. For God's sake, there are enough Rovers fans who idolise Garry Flitcroft for displaying about a tenth of Smith's aggression and determination on the pitch. And at least Smith did play consistently well.

Personally I think Flitty's been one of the most vital players in our squad for many years. He always gets stuck in and disrupts the opposition - a vital job in football even if it isn't the most glamerous. And he's stayed with Rovers through relegation, good times and bad, and to me seems to really care about the result. Flitty is much more of a hero than Smith.

As for consistency IMO Flitty's been disrupting the oposition well for the last 3/4 with scarcely a bad game. And IMO I don't think Smith has been that effective or impressive. His constant lack of disipline is hardly the type of consistency I'd want in a player. And saying Flitcroft is not as aggressive is laughable, the guy never shirks a tackle. Don't confuse Smith's mindless sendings off with Flitty's channelled aggression on the pitch.

On the subject of Flitcroft- I do think he should get more respect. I have seen a few poor displays from him but he does do an important job for the team. Ideally he likes he make forward runs but mostly sits and trys to disrupt the opposition. Fulham playing on the right was a good example of this.

Also our manager knows a bit about being a good centre midfielder, so I doubt he would have persisted for so long in him if he that bad!

Also our manager knows a bit about being a good centre midfielder, so I doubt he would have persisted for so long in him if he that bad!

Not only Souness, but every manager that Flitty has played for, have had him as a regular.

If he was that bad, surely one of them would have left him out to dry.

Ok so he wants to stay in the top flight for the sake of his career and so leave his hometown. Fine, he's made up his mind. A man has to do what he has to do, no problem, life goes on.

Yet why does he have to cry like a bitch over it? Jeez...it's not like he spent years building up a club and finally winning the title. Jack Walker's tears in 1995 were real and the culmination of years of work and dediction.

What do I see? Smith decides to leave and does the same as Jack Walker did in a vacuous, self-centred public display of grief? Comparing that childish little display to the years of work Jack put into this club is nauseous to say the least.

I've nothing against Smith, I actually quite like his fiery nature yet he can't seem to control anything, whether it be his behaviour on the pitch or his bloody tear ducts.

Who gives a Peter Reid about Smith ?. He's a hard working, yet over rated angry lad with a bad hair-do. He's a Leeds fan who just wants to play at the highest level. His ambition is slightly higher than his sense of duty to his favourite club. Most football players are like this. Smith wants to play for England, and unless you're calamity James, it's not an option to be in the 1st division putting away goals against Burnley and Rotherham.

It's that tit Man Boobs Viduka who is the real splitter out of the strikers Leeds have. Marc's ego and inflated sense of value has inhibited his role to Leeds' cause much more than Smith. By constantly whining like a spoilt bitch off the pitch, and being so inconsistent on the field, he has caused far more damage than Smith's 'disloyalty'.

Like I said, whoever forks out the £5m+ for the over rated Smith is wasting their cash.

This afternoon Leeds are reported to have turned down a bid of £3.5m from Man United for Alan Smith.

Fergie seems to have been hoping to get Smith on the cheap, but he might be willing to up his bid to a level that's acceptable to the Leeds directors.

It doesn't come as any surprise to me that Smith is said to be keen on defecting to the Red Scum. He's just the latest in a long line of selfish greedy players who proclaim loyalty, but in reality they're only concerned about themselves.

If his move to Man United eventually does go ahead, Smith would be spitting in the face of the Leeds supporters who carried him on their shoulders in his last appearance at Elland Road. The day after that game, Smith then told the media that he'd quite fancy a move to Old Trafford.

At Stamford Bridge a couple of days ago when Leeds supporters urged him not to move to the Red Scum, Smith shouted at the fans to Eff off.

It's clear he cares only about himself. Crocodile tears were shed on his last game at Elland Road, when in reality he'll be laughing all the way to the bank when he departs for another club and gets his fat signing-on fee. I wonder if the cheeky barsteward will even ask for a 'loyalty bonus'.

Link below to an article in today's Times:

Smith in line to defect to Old Trafford

Meanwhile, another blonde striker who used to play at Elland Road - Lee Chapman - has recently been exposed as a vicious wife-beater.

Chapman, who scored his debut goal for Leeds in a 2-1 win against Rovers in 1990, is reported to have savagely beaten his wife Leslie Ash on a number of occasions.

Leslie's sister Debbie says that she "fears for her life" being married to such a brute. Multi-millionaire restaurant owner Chapman reportedly dragged Leslie across a room by her hair, pinned her against a wall and punched her so hard she collapsed to the ground. Charming.

The police have regularly been called to the couple's home. In 1996, police found Chapman kicking the door down and screaming threats at his wife. He was charged with common assault and criminal damage, but Leslie later forgave him and dropped the charges. Her sister says that she's insecure and sticks by Lee even though he regularly beats her.

David Batty clearly didn't have a high opinion of Chapman, judging by his autobiography. Batts said that Chapman would be spend ages preening himself in front of a mirror in the dressing room, and when the manager gave his team talk, the striker would be busy filing and shaping his fingernails.

Since leaving the game, Chapman, whose playing career included spells at Stoke, Arsenal and West Ham, tried to cultivate an image for himself as an articulate urbane restaurant owner.

The reality is that he's a pig-headed brute who uses his wife as a punchbag. He's every bit as savage and reprehensible as that other well known wife-beater - the car park sex menace Stan Collymore.

Footballers....don't you just love 'em eh?

Edited by Anti Euro Smiths Fan

Interesting quote from Smith last season HERE (about 1/3 to 1/2 way down). Don't mind him wanting to leave, just don't like the 2-faced aspect of it. Funny that Dafoe (if I remember correctly) does the same thing last year and gets villified about how he isn't a team player, is a no good mercenary, etc. etc. Yet Smith is "Mr. Loyalty." Love the front page picture on F365 of him crying.

Leeds has also turned down 5.5 mil, saying he's worth 10, yet he has a worse strike rate than Heskey (SEE HERE).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.