BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Todd

He refused to take to the bench when the club was in a dire situation,not good enough..good riddence!! mad.gif

True, but we shouldn't have released him anyway IMO! (if we have done it)

He's a good Premiership player who we COULD get some money for..

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, he's been told he can leave which is a different thing entirely.

according to teletext he has been released with immediate effect

ohmy.gif reports say he had "showdown" talks and was told that was it and he was not getting his place back and could leave for free! so basically released but we pay his wages til he finds a new club! blink.gif

ohmy.gif reports say he had "showdown" talks and was told that was it and he was not getting his place back and could leave for free! so basically released but we pay his wages til he finds a new club! blink.gif

Great job Graeme rolleyes.gif

Great job Graeme rolleyes.gif

This is just the kind of arrogance we have to accept if we want Souness as our manager. But to be honest I'm getting damn fed up with all these player bust-up's..!!

If this result in us signing Babbel and releaseing Todd then I will lose some of my last rescpet for Mr. Souness...

Edited by krislu

What worries me, but hopefully it's slowly changing - is the transfer policy. We seem to releasing all these players for free, meaning that we're actually paying an agent to help flog them off our wage bill. I sincerely hope that our next few buys are players on the right side of the 30s and good enough -whom will command a fee when sold and not just released on a free transfer.

I don't think I recall any other Premiership club buying (not Bosman deal) players and then releasing them for free as many times as we have.

Of the top of my head:

Curtis

Hignett

Mahon

Ostenstad

Grabbi

soon Todd

soon Yorke

feel free to add to the list

Edited by 78

Just a quick point but Mahon wasn't free, just because the club doens't release the fee doesn't mean they didn't get one. As for the others you will find many clubs in the Premiership have released players for free. It's the way the game has gone.

Of all the players listed Curtis has been passed on again for free, Ostenstad is god knows where and we couldn't hope to get a fee for any of the others.

When Todd was originally transfer listed nobody wanted him least of all half of this message board. Now all of a sudden he is great and we should be selling him to the highest bidder.

Mahon certainly went for a transfer fee and I am not sure that Hignett wasn't out of contract when he went. Curtis might have gone for a fee or might have been out of contract.

Oestanstad went out on loan before Rangers took over his contract from us.

Grabbi was a free transfer.

Do you have any names on your list?

What worries me, but hopefully it's slowly changing - is the transfer policy. We seem to releasing all these players for free, meaning that we're actually paying an agent to help flog them off our wage bill. I sincerely hope that our next few buys are players on the right side of the 30s and good enough -whom will command a fee when sold and not just released on a free transfer.

I don't think I recall any other Premiership club buying (not Bosman deal) players and then releasing them for free as many times as we have.

On the top of my head:

Curtis

Hignett

Mahon

Ostenstad

Grabbi

soon Todd

soon Yorke

feel free to add to the list

I don't think Mahon was free wink.gif

In any ordinary place of work, he should have been dismissed for what he did before the Leeds game.

Is this what has happened to Todd?

Yes he would, but football isn't the real world. Nowhere else would a boss have such a tyrannical rule with the freedom to have public falling outs with a good percentage of his employees. In Todd's case especially it's just Souness' ego that has caused the problem - telling Todd (arguably the player of the season) to sit on the bench because his favourite has come back from injury (Amo) is ridiculous. Todd was childish in his refusal to sit on the bench, but you can see where he's coming from. Don't give me the whole "Well Graeme was justified by the results" because he wasn't - he played so defensive (and Amo still managed to look like a schoolboy at times) that it covered the defensive frailties we've had all season. He!l even Babbel looked good in the current system we're playing ohmy.gif

Ok, I got rid of Mahon.

But I'll add

Gordon Greer bought for 200k

Corbett bought for 500k

Curtis bought for 2.25m

Hignett bought for 2.25m

Ostenstad swapped for Davies

Grabbi bought for 6.75m

Pelzer bought for ???

soon Todd bought for 750k

soon Yorke bought for 2m

My point isn't about getting rid of them, most of them weren't going to figure in the team but it's the fact that we had to give them free transfers.

I just hope that we become more sensible when buying players and their wages. A club like Rovers can't afford to be buying players and then selling them for nothing.

I'm quite disappointed, because I thought that he has been one of the best players this season and was unjustifably dropped when Amoruso returned. Two more defenders will be need now. One to fill Todd's place, and someone to take over from Short, who won't be playing much next year. And with Babbel also leaving, maybe McEvely will get a chance to break into the first team.

Pre Todd falling out with Souness

"Brilliant - player of the year by far"

Post Todd falling out with Souness

"Rubbish - never liked him - glad to see the back of him"

Maybe Todd shouldn't have spat the dummy out of the pram but it's very sad to see him leave the club after the season he's had unless we've got someone better lined up. You can hardly say Amoruso and Short are reliable injury wise.

And commercially, surely to god we could have got back the 750k we paid for him?

huh.gif

what todd did was extremely stupid and he let the club down big time. Souness will never again be able to trust Todd - how can he refuse to be on the bench just because he's a bit ###### off?

It's a great shame as Todd was my player of the season by a mile. He IS good enough for the current Rovers squad and he has in truth had a great season, but I understand how SOuness feels. However, to release Todd on a free must be a joke. Souness must be a complete moron to do that as we'll surely get some £ for Todd.

Maybe Todd shouldn't have spat the dummy out of the pram but it's very sad to see him leave the club after the season he's had unless we've got someone better lined up. You can hardly say Amoruso and Short are reliable injury wise.

And commercially, surely to god we could have got back the 750k we paid for him?

huh.gif

Ok Rev look at it this way Pre-return from the Dingledome:-

"He's been at Bolton reserves, Charlton reserves and a few months at Ewood. He's only a squad player who means next to nothing to our club."

"I couldn't give a toss where Todd goes to be honest. He's off our wage bill for three months which is nice. I think he'll do a good job there."

"I`d be more upset if one of our ball boys went to Burnley.

As for Todd, good riddance.

Certainly was never a Rover."

"For what its worth, Todd and Burnley deserve each other. I always felt it was an accute embarassment to have a player with Todd's "record" at Ewood."

Now i'm not putting names to quotes as that's not my game, although a couple are corkers. However doesn't it show how fickle football in general can be.

My own opinion hasn't changed and I do think it is a shame but no loss. If we get no money I feel it is a mistake but we don't know for definite that he has been released do we.

huh.gif

Ok Rev look at it this way Pre-return from the Dingledome:-

"He's been at Bolton reserves, Charlton reserves and a few months at Ewood. He's only a squad player who means next to nothing to our club."

"I couldn't give a toss where Todd goes to be honest. He's off our wage bill for three months which is nice. I think he'll do a good job there."

"I`d be more upset if one of our ball boys went to Burnley.

As for Todd, good riddance.

Certainly was never a Rover."

"For what its worth, Todd and Burnley deserve each other. I always felt it was an accute embarassment to have a player with Todd's "record" at Ewood."

Now i'm not putting names to quotes as that's not my game, although a couple are corkers. However doesn't it show how fickle football in general can be.

My own opinion hasn't changed and I do think it is a shame but no loss. If we get no money I feel it is a mistake but we don't know for definite that he has been released do we.

Has anyone told you that you'd make a good lawyer?? laugh.gif

This is the last straw for me really, I want Souness gone wink.gif

Todd refused to work!

Simple as that.

If I did the same then I would expect to be sacked.

I thought Todd had come on a long way this season and was unlucky to lose his place - but recent results would tend to refute that view.

No great loss.

Souness is King! wink.gif

laugh.gif Now i'm not sure whether to take that as an insult or a compliment.

But I'll take it as a compliment anyway. cool.gif

It's a bit of both biggrin.gif You presented one side of the argument very well whilst ignoring the whole post Dingle period thumbs-up.gif

laugh.gif Now i'm not sure whether to take that as an insult or a compliment.

But I'll take it as a compliment anyway.  cool.gif

Manchester Blue, has anyone every told you that you'd make a great Air hostess tongue.gif

Edited by chris

Todd is nothing more than an average defender anyway, he has only looked good this season because he has had s***e around him for most of it.

I'm thankful that he isn't part of our long term plans. smile.gif

In some games this season he has been the best player for us. He isn’t the most elaborate of players but gets stuck in and does the nitty gritty.

He does have a temper on him and is probably one of the reasons why he’s leaving.

Best of luck to him for the future though. I’m disappointed that we won’t see another contest between him and Dugarry at Ewood again.

It's a shame to see Todd leave after some impressive performances this season, but was there ever a way back into the team for him after the Leeds incident ?

Regardless of the events leading up to him refusing to be on the bench against Leeds, Todd throwing his rattle out of the pram and storming off home had to be the final straw. He was entitled to feel upset and disagree with the decision, but did not react the way a well paid footballer should. It's a team game and the manager has to have the final say, not the players. To keep Todd at the club would have sent misleading signals out to other players who may find themselves aggreived at being dropped and replaced at some point. Whether or not the actual decision in question is right or wrong, it is the manager's decsion and it has to be abided by his players.

He had a great chance to replace Short or Amo against Man Yoo alongside Nissa, but was left out in preference to Babbel, who despite having a good game doesan't look like he'll still be here in a couple of weeks time. If you can't get into the team ahead of someone who's leaving soon, then surely the writing's on the wall ?

I'm sure if he'd taken being dropped at Leeds with a little more professionalism, like Nissa managed after the Citeh game, then he'd probably still have a future here next season.

I think he's played well this season on return from the Dingles, but I still think of him as being a squad player who played very well when asked, rather than forcing himself into regular first team contention next season. I'd have be disappointed if we didn't look to strenghten that area of the team in the summer, regardless of Todd's future. With Short getting on and Babbel destined to return to Merseyside, we'd have been left with Amo, Nissa and Short as available first team centre halves.

Hopefully Jay will get a chance to stake a claim if his recovery goes well and we still have Fitzgerald and Bruce to look at in the reserves, but another quality centre half is still required. Todd's absence will make this an even bigger priority.

As for whether he's released or not, I think we'd have been able to get something for him if he'd been listed, even if it was only a fraction of the £750k we paid Charlton for him. There are 2 main factors that have probably sped his depature up :

1) Souness' desire to get him away from the club and away from the rest of the squad (for both personal and professional reasons).

2) The fact that this will be the third consecutive club he's left under unfavourble circumstances (after attacking Phil Brown at Bolton and Dean Kiely at Charlton and now refusing to co-operate at Rovers), which will deter those looking at signing him. Who would want a player who is a liability to the cohesion of a team/squad ?

A shame to see to him leave, but it's not the end of the world - he can be replaced.

hey the fact of the matter is, whether your good or your not if you start refusing to do your job, which as a footballer in a largish squad is sometimes to sit on the bench when asked to by your boss then it has got to be bye bye. cos how would you like to work with a big prima donna who wants to get their way all the time regardless of your team mates or colleagues. Good Riddance thumbs-up.gif

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.