BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] How Far Will England Get

It's not a case of hindsight it's about not coming out with daft statements like 'we're crap' and the like. It seems to be popular at times to knock the national side and i'm not sure why.

We clearly aren't crap and have a fair chance of doing well. There are other teams that could say the same but I reckon that it's pretty open anda all the better for it.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not a case of hindsight it's about not coming out with daft statements like 'we're crap' and the like. It seems to be popular at times to knock the national side and i'm not sure why.

We clearly aren't crap and have a fair chance of doing well. There are other teams that could say the same but I reckon that it's pretty open anda all the better for it.

But before the tournament, thats what i believed. Is it wrong for me to air my views of a side playing without it's first choice defence? A side thats got Beckham off form? A side that still hasn't got a stable left hand side?

Yeah i got it wrong, i admit that openly and will take all the stick needed.

I felt before the tournament we didn't stand a chance. I apologise if it seemed 'popular'.

It also seems 'popular' to have this amazing optimism and believe we're going to go all the way and beat the likes of Portugal, Italy, Czech, Holland and Sweden.

Phil Neville made the worst substitute appearance since Ali Diao (George Weah's "cousin")

I know P.Neville is everyone's favourite punch-bag (after Emile Heskey) - and I don't particularly like him as a player.

But what did he do that was so wrong? Or perhaps you just posted it because it's quite a nice line.

From what I remember, he gave away a stupid free kick immediately after coming on. But after that he only gave the ball away once when he tried a cross-field ball. Or did I miss something?

I would be more worried about Ledley King in midfield. His positioning was appalling and unsurprising considering he's a centre back. There were times when Croatia were attacking and a midfielder went bursting into the England box. All King did was glance over his shoulder and point at the guy. And then proceeding to stand on the edge of the box watching as a cross came in and his runner almost scores.

Please, let Hargreaves be fit for Portugal.

Well I predicted that they'd win it and it's looking quite possible, granted I didn't think it would be because Rooney would develop into such a great player overnight, but the team is getting there. IMO Portugal is the hardest match now, win that and the confidence will be sky-high, the next two will be a walk in the park compared to beating the hosts.

I've just seen this on another forum, not sure if it's been mentioned here or on the other Euro 2004 threads...

Lets not forget..

ENGLAND'S FIRST TIME BEYOND THE GROUP ON FORIEN SOIL IN THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Shocking stuff! ohmy.gif

Get in there lads!

We will beat Portugal and then it all depends on who we get in the semi's - Will will have a better idea who by the end of tomorrow when all the teams have qualified.

I hope we can get Potugal and then Sweden in the semi's that way i am confident that we will be in the final.

David James is a big worry.

His actual shot stopping skills are excellent but he's all over the place when it comes to crosses. The 1st goal yesterday could have been avoided if he'd come out to catch the ball in. It actually landed in his six yard box so he should have been there but he just stood still on his line.

One last thing, after all the bad press Ashley Cole gets is it not about time it was recognised that he is actually a very very good left back? IMO best in the tournament. The old line that's trotted out is that he can't defend....utter tosh, he's been magnificent at both ends of the pitch. Top stuff Ashley.

Bring on Thursday...btw does anyone know what time I should get in Blues bar to assure myself of a good pitch?

we have as good a chance as anyone, we knew that much already, that as long as our top players perform we have a chance, as yet, neither beckham nor owen two of our so called world class players have performed to their standards and we're still in the quarters, if them two can turn it on, then why not all the way!

Bring on Thursday...btw does anyone know what time I should get in Blues bar to assure myself of a good pitch?

I got in there at 6.30 yesterday and got a good seat no problem. So I reckon 2.00 in the afternoon will be just about right.

I got in there at 6.30 yesterday and got a good seat no problem. So I reckon 2.00 in the afternoon will be just about right.

Cheers Bob and Tom, 2pm it is.

I first said that England would get to semifinal.

Sorry to tell you but you won't get there.  tongue.gif

For some weird reason, I agree with you Oklahoma. Who know's, there might be a repeat of the Euro 2000 result? wink.gif

I predicted a semi final appearance so I'm hopefully still on track.

There SR what do you think to that?  laugh.gif  wink.gif

I think that a team in Red 'n Green might stop your prediction from coming true. tongue.gif

• Backroom

Cheers Bob and Tom, 2pm it is.

I'm at Old Trafford for the ODI on Thursday mad.gif so unless it's rained off, I aint going to get to see the footy blink.gif

I hope we can get Potugal and then Sweden in the semi's that way i am confident that we will be in the final.

Heh. As a Swede I really, really hope we get England if we get to the semis, for just the same reason. We'll be certain to get through to the final. As you probably know, we haven't lost to England since 1970 or whatever, and I can't see it happening now. Your style of play seems to fit us nicely. Maybe it's because our only real weakness would be full backs (At least right back) and you don't have a left winger wink.gif

i still fail to see how david james was at fault for that first goal? aswell as the second one for that matter!

he doesnt command his area and the 6 yd box is HIS DOMAIN and when he does come to catch a basic cross he drops it like last night.....he frightens me to friggin death as goalie.

to the portugal fans on here

Yes You have had a good team, you have a decent manager but your observations on how England might perform are misjudged.

We have not played the best football yet, we are improving and on a steady roll.

Portugal have no defender to cope with the power and pace of Rooney, not even Couto can cope with him. I forsee dirty tactics employed as really the only threat I see is ruud van nistlenoses diing partner cloonaldo.

England will have done the homework and will be fully prepared.

I expect total revenge for euro 2000 when the Portuguese ruined my first week in Corfu !

2-0 England it is rolleyes.gif

to the portugal fans on here

Yes You have had a good team, you have a decent manager but your observations on how England might perform are misjudged.

We have not played the best football yet, we are improving and on a steady roll.

Portugal have no defender to cope with the power and pace of Rooney, not even Couto can cope with him. I forsee dirty tactics employed as really the only threat I see is ruud van nistlenoses diing partner cloonaldo.

England will have done the homework and will be fully prepared.

I expect total revenge for euro 2000 when the Portuguese ruined my first week in Corfu !

2-0 England it is rolleyes.gif

You are right... It will be hard for Couto to cope with rooney... He is on the bench laugh.gifrolleyes.gif

Both teams are growing, performing better.

It will be a quite even match. probably decided in the midfield fight.

Portugal can do it biggrin.gif

The defence is not that bad, watch out wink.gif

And Couto is not playing!

It will be an interesting match, lot of respect to England but I wish Portugal can pass tongue.gif

Hope in a fair match from the referee thumbs-up.gif

Very interesting match. Surely Portugal must be the worst possible opponent for England, possibly even worse than the Chechs?

I guess since I have money on Rooney to be top scorer I hope England progress. Shame to lose Portugal if they play like they did against Spain though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.