BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] England 1 - 2 France

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beckham was totally off the pace all evening. He seems to have forgotten how to run and pressurise in his year of loos women in Madrid.

Perhaps all the ink is slowing him down- what a tart!

Lets face it, he was very lucky to score with that penalty against Argentina and his effort tonight was woeful.

However, Lampard's goal came from a magnificent Beckham free kick which was against the run of play at the time.

Heskey has found his level playing alongside tinkerbell Taylor at Brum. What a stupid tackle to give away the freekick.

With ZZ taking it, I would have stuck a man on the post and blow the offside confusion.

Positives- Campbell and Rooney were awesome. The Italian commentators were besides themselves in admiration.

Negatives- we are going out. The morale will be rock bottom and the Swiss and Croats only need draws against us. They will defend like their lives depend on it.

The penalty wasn't THAT bad, if anyone's to blame it's Gerrard and Heskey - plus perhaps James. Heskey for making a totally unneccessary freekick, James for letting Zidane steering it in the corner excellently, and Gerrard for messing up COMPLETELY in the end.

But this whole Zidane vs Beckham thing is idiotic IMO, the match is between France and England, not Z and B.

A disgrace that Santini can go back to the hotel with three points after choosing Wiltord btw, not just in the squad, but for choosing him instead of players like Rothen - when France needs to score..

But what the heck, let the unfit and poor frenchy get some minutes...

The penalty wasn't THAT bad, if anyone's to blame it's Gerrard and Heskey - plus perhaps James. Heskey for making a totally unneccessary freekick, James for letting Zidane steering it in the corner excellently, and Gerrard for messing up COMPLETELY in the end.

Beckham completely missed the penalty!!

Barthez was already falling to the right side when he shot the ball.

Owen was at least putting a lot of pressure on the French defence and creating space which Rooney and others could use.

The Beckham penalty was even worse watching it again. He put it exactly where goalkeeprs want it. Right height, pace and position to be saved.

I don't think I've ever felt so gutted. Ever. This really hurts.

We deserved the win, Silvestre should have been shown the red card (so should James but we wouldn't have been in that position had Silvestre gone), Beckham's penalty was identical to Zidane's - they got lucky, we didn't. Simple as that.

I fear things may be broken this evening, something called anger.

Too many supposedly big players missing for England. Aside from the cross Beckham did nothing and was missing for the entire second half. Heskey, well what do you expect, Gerrard a back pass from that position? Owen anonymous all night. The side lacks creativity, the passing was woeful and the whole side seemed incapable of keeping hold of the ball. The gulf between the French side and England was very significant and really showed the direction the advent of the PL has taken our game.

Positives - Campbell and King, Lampard, Rooney.

Seem to recall watching a similar scenario last season

Beckham's penalty was identical to Zidane's

ohmy.gif You're joking aren't you?

Beckham's penalty was going in exactly the same position as Zidane's. If James had dived that way he may well have saved it.

Any keeper going the right way, would have saved that penalty. Still think England deserved the win because the french were feeding on scraps all night.

No doubting though, that on pure footballing ability, the french are streets ahead.

We will struggle to qualify now.

Beckham's penalty was going in exactly the same position as Zidane's. If James had dived that way he may well have saved it.

1) Get video of game

2) Watch both penalties in real time and slowmo.

3) Come back and say you are mistaken.

We forgive you.

Difference is, Zidane saw James leaning to the left before shooting, Beckham didn't see Barthez lean to the right.

1) Get video of game

2) Watch both penalties in real time and slowmo.

3) Come back and say you are mistaken.

We forgive you.

I will do. And when I prove you wrong I shall be back!

IMO the result wasn't unfair. The manner in which the game was decided however was... harsh, to say the least. But the better team won IMO. You can't simply sit back and punt the ball upfield all the time, eventually the opponents WILL score. It's happened hundreds of times. You need to try and hold the ball for a while and move at least a little upfield.

But at least you know how the Bayern Munich fans felt after "that" game wink.gif

The gulf between the French side and England was very significant and really showed the direction the advent of the PL has taken our game.

The gulf didn't look all that big when Rooney ripped through the defence once more. If he'd squared it to Vasell or we had someone who can take penalties we'd be singing our praises now.

I can't see how you can blame the PL when the majority of that French side play in it.

Just got home and I can’t describe how I actually feel.

Stunned, dejected, disillusioned.

We did play well enough but we didn’t play well enough to win the game, perhaps a draw was a fair result but to concede the goals both late on was a sickening blow.

Beckham – Didn’t pull of a captain’s performance for me. He didn’t look in the game, his penalty wasn’t good enough. Not near enough the corner and at a reachable height for Barthez.

Events before hand showed what Rooney can do, brilliant performance from him, tormenting the French defence, how Silvestre didn’t go I won’t know.

Zidane was above that different class. The free kick, I couldn’t understand why Heskey went in to challenge like he did. All Heskey needed to do was to stand his ground and if Viera went past both Hargreves and Cole were in a position to stop him advancing further.

Zidane`s free kick was sensational, his penalty was impossible to stop unlike Beckham`s.

Gerrard is a great player but what was he doing in the build up to the penalty incident. Surely Ashley Cole could have cleared it up the other end?

James – Didn’t do anything wrong. Apart from the penalty conceding which he had to commit himself.

Neville – Solid.

King – Great game.

Campbell – Rock

Cole – Good game needs more protection in front of him.

Beckham – Looked out of place.

Lampard – Promising international future.

Gerrard – Played ok – was at fault for France’s build up to penalty incident.

Scholes – Left Cole exposed – Poor tackler – otherwise generally good.

Owen – Can’t remember him doing much.

Rooney – Brilliant.

The main highlights were that of King, Rooney particularly, who both had good performances against a tough opposition.

We did play well, for the whole of the second half apart from a few counter attacks we defended and let them come on to us, it was inevitable that they were going to create something. Zidane was brilliant.

We need to win both our remaining games, if we don’t then we stand a chance of getting the first plane back home I’m afraid.

However if we continue to play like we did in the next two games I’m sure we’ll go through.

What I’d look to change is Scholes on the left side of the midfield. He left Cole exposed many times in the game. I’d suggest a chance for Bridge to either come in on the left wing or at left back in Cole stepping up to the left side of midfield.

France 2-1 England

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.