BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] "no Money For New Players" - Souey

So should they have come clean after this "huge surge"

IMO IF there's no money, the club should stay stchum and just get on with it.

Other than the timing of the announcement in s/t renewal week there is of course the question of why comments like this are coming out from the manager a week or two after the chief executive said there was £4m in the summer kitty.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We ask the club to be honest with us, and when they are and its bad news they get slated.

But why be honest now when they must realise this could affect season ticket renewals?

Simply because if they are honest after the ST sales are done they'll get a pasting for that.

If there's no money, there's no money. We have to get on with and take what we have. A huge amount was spent this time last year and effectively wasted, this is the price we pay.

We ask the club to be honest with us, and when they are and its bad news they get slated.

But why be honest now when they must realise this could affect season ticket renewals?

Perhaps because they feel they need to force MGP or Tromsø's hand before taking the De Pedro option? Or to play down the paper talk of a £5M bid for Butt whilst telling Tromsø we can't afford more than £1.5M for MGP.

Hopefully it's a calculated gamble rather than total naivety with regard to the season ticket renewals - although the latter wouldn't surprise me given the New Shirt debacle and late/missing ST renewal packs.

Oooooo, I do like this devil's advocate role.

No money for transfers = an excuse/reason for poor ST sales? (should that be revealed in the coming days/weeks)?

No money = get any potential targets for the least £££ possible?

And as Jordan says, maybe just honesty.

I wonder how many potential ST buyers are still making up their minds about whether to buy another for 2004-5? I don't pretend to have an insight to ST buying patterns, but what are the chances on there being a 'huge surge' - even without this news - in the next couple of days Rev?

wasted on Ferguson, Amarouso, Reed and Emerton. Oh and Stead

In my humble opinion Amo and Ferguson proved themselves good buys. I think if they had both been fit we'd have not had a problem. Reed is one for the future, who at times has looked great and at others average.

Emerton, hmmmm, I think will be a lot better this coming season, after getting a season in the prem under his belt. Hopefully someone will mention the fact that he SHOULD RUN DOWN THE BLOODY WING and all will be right.

As for Stead - bloody rubish imo

also dont forget Thommo should hopefully be back and Matt "maybe this season" Jansen, might actually be back to his best.

Other than the timing of the announcement in s/t renewal week there is of course the question of why comments like this are coming out from the manager a week or two after the chief executive said there was £4m in the summer kitty.

a)How many people buy the Telegraph?

b)Can the Telegraph be believed or have they printed the quotes out of context in order to increase their sales?

Just a couple of thoughts Rev wink.gif

If the club feel NOT releasing 3-4 million for a CB and LM is not worthwile and they want to flirt with relegation again then SO BE IT. mad.gif

Where do you suggest they go and get 4 million quid from - by doing a job on the cash machine outside McDonalds ?? Raiding Bargain Booze ??

As Paul says if there's no money there's no money.

The last thing we want them doing is spending money that doesn't exist and putting the future of the club in danger.

a)How many people buy the Telegraph?

b)Can the Telegraph be believed or have they printed the quotes out of context in order to increase their sales?

Just a couple of thoughts Rev wink.gif

a) In global terms not huge numbers, but I would think the vast majority of our ST holders buy it.

b ) Quite possible. Extremely unhelpful nonetheless.

As I say there's an article effectively saying "Dont bother buying a season ticket - it won't be worth it" fuelled by quotes from the manager directly above an ad we will have paid for imploring people to buy season tickets!

blink.gif

Edited by RevidgeBlue

Simply because if they are honest after the ST sales are done they'll get a pasting for that.

If there's no money, there's no money. We have to get on with and take what we have. A huge amount was spent this time last year and effectively wasted, this is the price we pay.

Why say anything? I can understand we may have no money but why not just keep quiet and leave us guessing like they do with everything else? If they do have to say something why not tag it onto the statement at the end of the season:-

"We'd like a Central Defender, a Left winger, a forward and a central midfielder to ensure we're not involved in a relegation battle next season but we can only afford Paul Dickov, ok?"

Gets it out of the way well before the renewal packs are sent out that way.

Surely Souey and JW can't have got together and said "We're over halfway though the 2-week claim-your-own-seat window, it's time to tell the world we have no money"

It might have been better to not come clean at all. Just a bit of a quick wash of the face, behind the ears and other assorted bits. Maybe it's a bluff, or a double bluff. Who knows. Smoke and mirrors, all in code, double meanings. Maybe the truth, maybe a pack of lies. I don't know who to believe anymore. We shall see. Anyone had their season ticket delivered yet? This is getting ridiculous. Eight weeks off the new season and still nothing.

By the way I don't think the LET would jeopardise their relationship with Rovers by printing something that the club didn't approve of.

So you are telling me that the club cannot get,lets say a loan of 3 million pounds?or 4 maximum?Because it will be dangerous to the clubs future?

But getting relegated without spending the loaned 3-4 million will be better cause at least we didnt spend that extra 3 million?Relegation=death of the club.Im not saying we will be relegated with this squad,but I dont think we are looking to spend outrageous money which we dont have.

3 million will not put our future at risk.100 million like Leeds would!

If the club feel NOT releasing 3-4 million for a CB and LM is not worthwile and they want to flirt with relegation again then SO BE IT. mad.gif

I've said this until I'm blue in the face but for the benefit of the few I will say it again. For the majority of football clubs transfer fees other than token gestures have been consigned to the history books!

Leave salaries out of it for a moment and 4 mill or whatever spent on a transfer fee to another club depreciates to sweet FA in 4 short years.....or however long the contract is! Any player that was bought 4 years ago will simply ###### off to the highest bidder in terms of wages. Lets look at Barry Ferguson, assuming that he is on 2 million per year he will cost 3.75 million (7million / 4 years + his salary) per annum and in 2007 will walk away for free.

Put another way...if we have a budget to spend of 4 million are we better off signing 4 players of the calibre of Dickov / Matteo or one player of similar ability who is contracted to his club and will cost the same in total?

The clubs are simply having to pay the money now in wages to the players and their agents. My only surprise is that this situation post Bosman has taken so long to materialise. Maybe this will ultimately lead to 'normality / sanity' in football, I dont know.

What it is doing in the interim is however not healthy because for all the millions being generated and pumped into the game the only beneficiaries are the individual players (and agents and Gordon Taylors) pension arrangements and investment funds. Very little will end up left over to benefit the development of the clubs, the Stadia and spectator facilities, the whole development of young players and the whole game in general.

Edited by thenodrog

What Revidge is trying to say, is I think, that this is yet another negative statement coming out of Ewood Park, [assuming of course, that it is a responsible piece of reporting]. Fully agree.

Another viewpoint to the argument, if there's no money, there's no money, is that there is another option. Go back to increasing the overdraft again. That is the job of the board of course, but they have to balance the consequences of having a squad that would possibly struggle to stay up again, with the situation of the overdraft.

In my humble opinion Amo and Ferguson proved themselves good buys. I think if they had both been fit we'd have not had a problem. Reed is one for the future, who at times has looked great and at others average.

Who? blink.gif

Have to agree with Rev on this one (and I often don't agree with him) but I can see no real reason why this story has to come out just now. Tromso sure as hell won't be dropping the price just because of a piece in the Blackburn local rag. It could affect some fans not too sure whether or to pick and choose their games.

Whether it's true or not I don't mind either way, with Ferguson and Thompson returning I don't think we really need to spend anymore (although a left midfielder would still be nice) but I still don't understand why such a negative piece should appear now. Who runs the PR at Ewood? Bolton fans are all upbeat because they merely talk to Rivaldo yet Rovers fans are told they have no money. We may be skint but even if we can't walk the walk let's at least talk the talk and sell the damn product like every other business.

I liked the look of Wilhelmsson in last nights Sweden game. He has pace, a great cross and was willing to take people on to the byline...........but I think he's right footed dry.gif

can he lend bobby g three million quid ?

OK, fair enough Revidge, I more or less agree with that! biggrin.gif

As Bobodopopolous Flemingus says, smoke and mirrors, what the eyes hear and the mind reads the ears believe. Or something.

I can only think of three reasons why this has happened:

a) They're preparing the ground for a disappointing summer of transfer arrivals, and are accordingly operating off of a reduced revenue "model";

cool.gif They're trying to give the appearance of being utterly potless in the hope that it strengthens their hand in transfer negotiations whilst not hitting ticket sales too hard or;

c) They're just plain nuts.

blink.gif

Edited by Bryan

What Revidge is trying to say, is I think, that this is yet another negative statement coming out of Ewood Park, [assuming of course, that it is a responsible piece of reporting]. Fully agree.

Another viewpoint to the argument, if there's no money, there's no money, is that there is another option. Go back to increasing the overdraft again. That is the job of the board of course, but they have to balance the consequences of having a squad that would possibly struggle to stay up again, with the situation of the overdraft.

rev - are there any official quotes from the club?

I wonder if its just coincidence that we are linked with butt for 5 million and all of a sudden we hear there is no money.

Who? blink.gif

Who again?!

ohmy.gif

Who? blink.gif

Who again?!

ohmy.gif

Perhaps Flopsy needs a new keyboard? blink.gif

I liked the look of Wilhelmsson in last nights Sweden game. He has pace, a great cross and was willing to take people on to the byline...........but I think he's right footed dry.gif

Yep, he's a good player. He can play on the left and right. Against England a few months back, he played on the left and he terrorised Neville on that flank. Plays for Anderlecht.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.